Healthier restaurant choices

amw

need a new tag
Looking for some recommendations for healthier off-property eateries. Will have a car and will be doing some non-park days. We don't mind travelling to new areas for food and shops. My DDs are in their early 20s.

I think you can find healthier choices at any restaurant, even Italian and Mexican restaurants that are often wrongly considered 'not healthy.' It's a matter of what you select on the menu not the restaurant itself.

An example of what you consider a healthy restaurant would be helpful.

I agree with @twocat - some examples - you can order a salad with no dressing or on the side (put as little as you want or nothing). Nothing fried. Sauces on the side, etc. etc.

Interested in other ideas myself :) - on or off-site.

We like Seasons 52 on Sand Lake for a fancier meal. It is a smallish chain (about 40 locations nationwide) so you may be familiar. Nothing on the menu over 600 calories and most items considerably below that. Portions are reasonable - desserts in a shot glass keep those in check. We've dined there a couple of times and had a great experience both times.

We like Seasons 52 on Sand Lake for a fancier meal. It is a smallish chain (about 40 locations nationwide) so you may be familiar. Nothing on the menu over 600 calories and most items considerably below that. Portions are reasonable - desserts in a shot glass keep those in check. We've dined there a couple of times and had a great experience both times.
Thank you - we’re from Canada as I know you are too - so it’s not a chain I’m familiar with. Looks like a very good option for a sit-down.

An example of what you consider a healthy restaurant would be helpful.

Most times people recommend diners and comfort food places in the US. I wanted a place that doesn’t have a deep fryer 😎

Even suggestions for quick lunches would be appreciated. Fresh sandwich wraps or bowls. Local cafes etc.

My husband has a restricted diet which is low carb, healthy protein, and fresh vegetables. So not Iceberg salads — but kale and spinich, or quinoa. He doesn’t go to the parks and tends to pick up food at the grocery stores. My girls and I just prefer a fresh take outside the parks. Disney has become much better over the years though.

Thank you for any suggestions! I’ll be making a list.

I second this suggestion. It's in the Doctor Phillips area which is kind of close to the parks, and also, there is a very good Mexican restaurant in that same strip mall: Rocco's - it has very good and healthy food IMO and a very nice vibe which your daughters will enjoy being in their 20's (unless they dislike noise - Rocco's has very loud music)... you can go check both restaurants (they're close to each other) and decide between the two.

Reactions: amw

Definitely try Tasty Lemon in Kissimmee for healthful wraps, smoothies and açaí bowls. I struggle a bit with all of the overwhelming unhealthful (but delicious lol) options on most Disney menus after a couple days, and also look for more clean and nourishing options as well

Freshly made, quick and able to customize for a healthier option bowl/wrap/salad = WAWA

There are a few just offsite and does offer outside tables. It's a gas/convenience store but serves a decent offering at fair prices.

Unless you need to avoid excess sodium or fat or whatever, sometimes it's fun to just eat a more decadent entree by sharing, i.e., portion control, even better if you can share something that's more mindful to begin with. As Julia Child said, everything in moderation.

I know it's easier said than done, and that's my big problem. I'm a plate cleaner, and if it's in front of me, I'll eat it until it's gone. If there's less, I still do that, and am still satisfied.

Seasons 52 is one of the Darden Restaurant brands, Olive Garden is their more well known brand.
https://www.darden.com/

The OP isn't specific enough. Some people mean vegetarian or even vegan restaurants when they ask about healthier places to dine.

Last edited:
The OP isn't specific enough. Some people mean vegetarian or even vegan restaurants when they ask about healthier places to dine.

I’m not sure how I can be more specific….

My husband has a restricted diet which is low carb, healthy protein, and fresh vegetables. So not Iceberg salads — but kale and spinich, or quinoa. He doesn’t go to the parks and tends to pick up food at the grocery stores. My girls and I just prefer a fresh take outside the parks. Disney has become much better over the years though.

Just looking for healthy, fresh food cooked in a healthy manner. We are not vegetarian but I would take those suggestions too if they’re not deep-fried. Grilled meats, healthy sides — was just looking for some ideas.

I can’t give comparable restaurant examples as I am not from the US.

I was hoping for some better choices outside the parks — it’s ok if that’s not the case.

Just looking for healthy, fresh food cooked in a healthy manner. We are not vegetarian but I would take those suggestions too if they’re not deep-fried. Grilled meats, healthy sides — was just looking for some ideas.

I was hoping for some better choices outside the parks — it’s ok if that’s not the case.
I get it, but TBH, rarely does a restaurant near Disney instill a feeling of 'that's healthy' in us (also from Canada BTW). The focus on high calories and large portions is why we don't eat out a lot down there. We own a couple of Timeshare Intervals in the area and eat in a lot more than we eat out. We also tend to cut back to 2 meals a day to keep things in control on days where we do eat out.

We used to also enjoy Sweet Tomatoes when they were open at the Crossroads. They were skirting with bankruptcy for a while, but I think they eventually survived but a quick web search shows no locations reopened in Orlando.

One other suggestion is to check out the Dining section at the Orlando Sentinel. We've found a few good recommendations based on the local paper and you'll know what is still good - restaurants can decline very quickly there. It's available online.

Too bad Sweet Tomatoes went out of business.

There are several grocery stores around Disney. I'd suggest Publix, which has an extensive deli and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.

This area is filled with chain restaurants catering to tourists looking for big, robust meals after walking all day, not really "light, healthy" fare.

However, most places do have salads, grilled chicken and the like so you can create your own healthy options by strategically ordering.

Since there are so many chains, you can also check out their menus online and most have nutrition information.

PP are tight. Restaurants marketing to vacationers feature large portions, all you care to eat, rich desserts with the philosophy you're on vacation. Time to cheat on your diet.

More expensive restaurants are more likely to feature quality over hugh quantities.

The term farm to table might refer to what you're looking for.

You can specify healthy when using open table.

Morimoto Asia is listed.​

https://www.primojw.com/
Looks like it might be what you're looking for

Last edited:
One of my favorite restaurants in Florida is Fresh Kitchen. It is a make your own salad bowl. It is delicious! And I think healthy. There are a couple locations in Orlando. We went to this location: 2855 S Orange Ave, Orlando, FL 32806. Then we discovered this grocery store nearby: Freshfields Farm, 400 Compton St, Orlando, FL 32806. The fruit was so good and reasonably priced. We ended up going back twice for more fruit!

I live in the Orlando area for now about twenty years and have some experience at non-park eateries.

That being said, and you stated you will have a car, I would highly recommend the Urban Pantry at Aventura Resort at Universal. I visit and stay at this resort pretty frequently and have always found their wok bowls to be an excellent, healthier option (I choose the roasted chicken broth version). The vegetables you select are pulled right in front of you and are fresh. Portion size is quite large, and I always ask for a container for leftovers as well as the teriyaki sauce on the side.

This is a quick service meal, but the quality and price are excellent. And you get the added benefit of walking around the hotel. Well, that's my suggestion.

https://urban-pantry.constantcontactsites.com/wok

There are a fair number of healthy options on the menus at numerous Disney Springs restaurants, too. Baked or grilled fish and chicken options with vegetable sides. Often, but not always, the vegetarian options are low fat and full of veggies/high fiber. I’ve found something healthy at the resort food courts, too, but you might need to look a bit or ask. I agree it can be tough at Disney, but it’s not impossible. With car, just make a grocery store run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter