Heartbreak for the 28,000 Cast Members

MinnesoTristan

Mouseketeer
If you're a cast member and you're reading this, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!

I’m incredibly grateful for all of the memories I was able to create in Disney Parks. I practically grew up at WDW, with family vacations in ‘90, ‘92, ‘94, ‘95, and ‘96, before moving to Celebration in ‘99, and having an annual pass until ‘13, when my parents moved back to the Midwest. I have been back to WDW in ‘13, ‘14, ‘17, and ‘19, DLR in ‘16 and ‘18, and DLP in ‘19. I had a flight and hotel booked for TDR in ‘20, before losing my job and the pandemic closing the parks worldwide. I’m grateful to have been able to find another job, but my heart is breaking for the 28,000 cast members who weren’t so fortunate.

I’m the only person in my family who was never a cast member. My family moved to Celebration in ‘99 so my mom could pursue her dream of working as a landscaper at Epcot. My sister worked in entertainment, my brother worked in transportation, and my dad worked security during summer breaks from school. I did apply once when I had lost my job in ‘08, but there was a six-month wait for merchandising positions, and I never had the opportunity.

I am really struggling with separating my love of the parks from my heartbreak for the 28,000 cast members laid off. Even though it doesn’t affect me personally, I have such happy memories and I’m just devastated about the impact that this will have on the CMs, their families, and their communities. The pandemic has been such a difficult year for so many people, and I was really holding onto that magic, and now I feel like the magic is gone.

Please share any advice on ways that I can support the community, not only financially, but emotionally. I have donated to Second Harvest, but I want to do more. Cast members have given me so much, and I really hope I can give back.

Agreed- I am really bummed for all those people who lost their jobs- many of whom had their DREAM JOBS just taken away. On Instagram I found some of the CMs who were characters I'd met- this was the first time I'd ever actually sat in line for meet & greets, and I discovered they were a lot of fun. And now their IGs are full of sadness over losing jobs they'd held for 3-6 years- one particular Elsa (the first I encountered, who made me realize these were a lot of fun) was a six-year vet and just like that- gone.

And now I'm thinking of a variety of other people. Maybe the pair at the pin shop who really dug my Goofy Movie t-shirt. The guy who led our "Keys to the Magic Kingdom" tour seven years ago. The clerks at the hotel or the Belle store that noticed my "Wicked" shirt. Any or all of those people could be gone.

I do feel so bad for the cast members who lost their jobs. It is really more than a job to them. My DGD met Anna on a trip to WDW. DGD dressed like Anna for the day. Anna was so sweet with DGD, told her she looked just like her, and danced around with her a bit while talking with her. I saw the video my DDIL took and it was priceless. DDIL said she had tears in her eyes it was that special. That really made the trip for DGD. The cast members really make WDW special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!