Height requirements....38-1/4”

tink20

DIS Veteran
My 2-1/2 year old granddaughter is measuring 38-1/4” with her tennis shoes on. We are going to Disney in 3 months. Do you think we are in the clear to ride (the 38” rides) or is that too close to call?

Just wanted to hear others experiences when you are that close.....
tia!

I can't speak from experience on the guest side of things, as I've never traveled to WDW with anyone so close to the height requirements. Having been on the opposite side as a ride operator at a (different) amusement park, though, I'll warn you that it's going to be ride-by-ride whether it's a yes or no from cast members. They have to check every time, and it's possible for a kid to measure tall enough one time and not the next time. Keep in mind that everyone tends to get slightly shorter as the day goes on and cartilage gets compressed by being upright and moving around, and variation in shoes, posture, etc. can mess things up. My guess is that she should be able to ride, but I would set her (and your) expectations low--work from the baseline that no is normal and yes is a bonus to avoid major disappointment, and plan how you'll handle it if it's a no-go at any point (using child swap, the whole family moving on to a different ride, or however you want to handle it).

If she is 38 inches and the requirement is 38. She is good to go. Shoes count. When my son went when he was 5. Sketchers is what he wore. They tend to have thick soles. So just wear a good pair of sneakers.

3 months time could be a few inch taller then you will be looking at the 40 inch rides (but wouldn't recommend them for kid that age besides maybe star wars tour),

Hope for the best but be prepared (don't hype it up and explain to your child you think she is too short but let's try just in case). It's also helpful to practise the height measuring before going to the parks so your child understands to stand tall and not try to shrink away from the bar - that one I learned the hard way...

I would plan that your granddaughter will be ok to ride the 38" rides, but I would continue to measure her about every month or so without shoes to keep an eye on things and adjust expectations/FPs accordingly. My boys seemed to grow when I was on top of giving them their vitamins every day vs 3-4 times a week.

If the kid is tall enough and wants to ride, let them ride. If they are 40" and want to ride the 40", let them. If they dont want to ride, dont make them. I always tell my kids when they are close to the line that some of the posts may be a little off, therefore they may not get to ride today what they did yesterday. They are usually good with it.

I think it's too close to call. When my DS was young it seemed that not all the measuring sticks at the rides were consistent. Sometimes he "passed" the measurement at the ride entrance, but then was told he didn't measure up at the second spot before you board the ride. And sometimes he measured tall enough at one ride, but not at another.
Keep it open and tell her that she'll be measured to see if she's tall enough to go on (don't make her any promises that she CAN go on). That helped with my DS. Have her stand up straight, looking straight ahead. My DS kept bending his knees thinking he had to fit below the measuring bar! lol
One tip a cm gave us was to breathe in while being measured. I'd also look for another pair of sneakers with a little higher heel (even another 1/4" will help!). And she should grow a little more in 3 months.

Tell her to stand tall and she should be OK. If you're really worried about it, get a Dr. Shoals insert and cut it to her shoe size. It'll give a 1/4" or so lift to help give you a buffer.

Make sure you tell her it won't hurt if she bumps the top of her head on the bar. Lots of kids avoid hitting the bar and then they can't ride.

Since She will not be three, she won’t need a FP so I would plan on the 40 inch rides as you are Making FP and just wait and see. That’s pretty tall for a two year old and some of 40 inch Rides are pretty intense so they might be a no go anyway.

Try first thing in the morning, as we all shrink a bit as the day goes on. Make sure she knows to hit the bar with her head, many kids duck from it.

I wouldn't hype them up or tell her that she will be able to ride. I would try them and tell her to stand up tall. But that way you have given her good expectations to hopefully ward off too much disappointment.

Some good advice here- My three year old grandson is in the same situation-we are practicing "standing tall" and looking for shoes with a thicker sole. We aren't trying to get around height requirements as we understand their importance, but 1/4 to 1/2 inch more can make a big difference with some of the ride height measuring devices. We all have seen countless posts about how they aren't/can't be all uniform depending on their placement on the ground, etc.

Personally I wouldn't worry. She's got 3 months. she could grow an inch or more and she's over the requirement. as other's said, practice measuring and standing tall.

Disney is a stickler on height and sometimes there are inconsistencies. You can't argue your way out of it. We measured fine at the entry to a line, they measured again after we waited at teh front of the line and got turned away with my son in tears. Wasn't a particularly happy moment. This was in AK at Primevil Whirl

My 38 inch 3 year-old hit cleared every 38 stick with a bit extra to spare last week with his shoes on. We practiced before we left so he could know to stand tall and try to hit the stick. They did pull him to be measured on every single ride that was close, including SDMT and Slinky.

Tell her to stand tall and she should be OK. If you're really worried about it, get a Dr. Shoals insert and cut it to her shoe size. It'll give a 1/4" or so lift to help give you a buffer.

This is edging close to breaking the rules. I don't know that I would recommend it.

I would say frame it is, we are going to try, and you probably won't get to ride... and then it's a big exciting thing if she measures tall enough. There are enough reports of borderline kids getting turned away at the 2nd measurement that I don't know that I would rely on her getting through. As a parent of a 40.5 " kid, I feel you on the indecision of it all. We're framing it as, we're going to try and you may not get to go, to help with the disappointment if it happens. And our plan is to let him pick his own height friendly ride to do while his sister completes the ride, if it comes to that.

My kiddo is pretty much the same height and age. We have much better luck with height requirements if we're very consistent adults. I have a script and everyone follows it to the extent they remember. My kid knows it well enough to help the grandparents out now.

"Look, it's time to see if you're tall enough to ride!"

"Stand right here. Feet together, heels on the ground. Stand up straight, pull your shoulders back and try to hit the bar with your head! Good job being measured!"

If the kid is feeling slumpy and tired, we're inclined to take a break, have a snack or play in the shade. Then try again later. They can come along on your baby swap ride and try again to stand up straight enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter