Hello-It'sSmee! A July 2020 "It's Good to Be Bad AND Back" TR *Link to new TR 2/21*

Kari you’re a hoot! :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
You are shy, Jenny is teetotal and Ariane has never ever used a swear word. Me, I only ever speak the absolute truth especially when commenting on other people’s trip reports about their friends/wives/co-conspirators :confused3:rotfl2::goodvibes

To make a long annoying story short, we finally boarded the plane around 3:30 so about 4 hours late.

Oh goodness - that is nerve wracking! Especially given current circumstances.

So we were about to fly to Florida without enough extra fuel for 20 minutes. Like if we had to circle over Orlando or something.
Um, what?? That's also slightly terrifying...but glad you were eventually able to get on your way!

I'll share more room pics later because right now we were just dumping our bags and running down to the restaurant, trying to get there before the "your table is ready" text!

Woo hoo! We managed to snag a reservation for Beaches & Cream, so hoping it was a good one - and at least you made it!

You DID find me Lindsey, glad you're here :goodvibes It's hard to stay off the Boards when you have a trip planned and I know you do! Hope you guys are well down there; are you back at either job yet?

I did! And not exactly - we are preplanning next week remotely, and then distance learning starts August 10, with a planned return to face to face school August 21. Not sure exactly how anything is going to go, since our district seems to be the master at last-minute information (as you have seen). No word from Disney yet, so hoping I eventually get back there!

Yay! I am so happy to have all of you here! I know I said this in my intro but I really truly love sharing my trips with you guys and not being able to do so - I felt something was missing. My old friends finding me and new friends joining me makes me 😁😁😁

So now without further ado I bring you my first pixiedust:"CruellaNY" TR pixiedust:

Day 1 Part 1: How Many Hours Does It Take to Get To Florida?

I usually don't write much about arrival days since they tend to be boring; and ours wasn't what you'd call fun! We had an 11:40am flight out of Newark on 7/24 so we arrived at the airport 9:15 to find our flight delayed an hour; no huge deal. This was our 2nd time at EWR since the pandemic as the 4 of us went to Universal in June and we were very comfortable there then, and started out being comfortable there this day.

Until they announced our plane was now delayed 2 hours because while the aircraft was there, we had no crew.

WHERE'S THE CREW??? (and thank you @pepperandchips my dear friend for this Minnie mask!)

View attachment 515002

Because our plane was delayed so long people were arriving for later flights and the terminal was getting crowded which we didn't like so much. Plus there really aren't food options open yet and no alcohol so there's that. But hey at least we got to see the JETS plane!

View attachment 515004

Which means nothing to this non football fan other than my dad liked the JETS. I prefer the JETS that fought with the SHARKS

And I digress for the first time of many! To make a long annoying story short, we finally boarded the plane around 3:30 so about 4 hours late. I'd texted @Jenny Sanders that we weren't going to get to HS which was our plan and we probably wouldn't make our 7:40 Beaches and Cream, and texted Renee @ArielSRL that we'd hopefully still be able to meet later on! Before we boarded we took a MB shot since we had a little time to do so:

View attachment 515006

Love my retro band!

And finally we boarded. FYI for those who have not flown yet: Jetblue is not seating middle seats and does require a mask be worn at all times. This plane was not full even with the middle seats empty. You know what else apparently wasn't full? The gas tank, because right after the pilot announced we were next for takeoff we turned around, headed back towards the terminal, and he announced we were being rerouted over Pennsylvania due to a storm that would add 20 minutes on to our flight so we needed more fuel. So we were about to fly to Florida without enough extra fuel for 20 minutes. Like if we had to circle over Orlando or something.

https://gifer.com/en/Nhj9
Eventually we actually left Jersey and arrived in Florida and I tell you, it felt like a breath of fresh air in June being in MCO and it felt even better this time. We grabbed our luggage, grabbed a Lyft, and got from MCO to Beach Club Villas in a record 24 minutes pulling up to the entrance at 7:43, 3 minutes after our dinner reservation! If you don't know, you must at this point do online check in for all TS reservations so we did that as we ran our bags to our room. We had booked a standard view studio but guess what we got?

View attachment 515011

View attachment 515012

Yup that's a 1 bedroom baby! We didn't need the room but we'll never turn down an upgrade :thumbsup2 We didn't really see the view from our balcony until the morning but it was pretty neat; we could see the Eiffel Tower and also some of the Skyliner cars going by:

View attachment 515013

I'll share more room pics later because right now we were just dumping our bags and running down to the restaurant, trying to get there before the "your table is ready" text!

Ive been reading your trip reports for years and love all the “dis meets”! You all seem to have so much fun. I’ll be staying at WL in Sept. and looking forward to MAGIC BARS!!!!

How frustrating to start your trip with flight delays. The room upgrade helps make up for the delays. It looks like you're going to make it to dinner.
It definitely helped bring back the excitement! Although really the excitement was back as soon as we landed at MCO :sunny:
Yes! I’m touched that you remembered 🥰
:hug: It's a big deal! So much has been cancelled the past few months; so many weddings and honeymoons. I'm happy you've figured out a way to still move ahead that sounds like a wonderful plan.
Good to know. I cancelled our SW flight for October because they changed it to a layover in Baltimore and are offering very few, if any, non-stops from Hartford to MCO. I'm thinking of booking JB since they seem to still offer non-stop for now, but I want to wait until we're closer and see if we're actually going on this trip.
Flights can be such a problem now. JB cancelled our original flight down and put us on one we didn't like so we changed; while down there we found out our Sept. flight down is cancelled and again we don't like the one they put us on so we need to figure something out. The problem with "smaller" airports (and unfortunately that includes BDL and Westchester by us) is that the airlines are cancelling flights that aren't full and either consolidating or pulling out totally. The smaller airport closest to us that only has 1 flight out of and in to Orlando each day is now only flying there 3 days a week :( And as far as JB and BDL, someone I know recently had both their perfect-timed flights cancelled. Their new flights are still direct but not at good times. So yeah I'd wait simply because whatever you book now could end up being cancelled!
Wow, they didn't just top it off while it was sitting there for four hours??
Right? Just like they didn't arrange for a crew to be there on time :confused3
Ugh on the flight/ travel fiascos but yay on the upgrade! Looks gorgeous. We love staying at Yacht Club but I also dream of staying in one of those villas someday or the turret suite ( lottery win needed) 😂😂:cloud9:
We were lucky enough to stay in the villas a few times, years ago when we would rent DVC points and the points were CHEAP! We told the kids we were upgraded again and Ricky of course commented that it's always when they aren't with us lol.
Yikes! Definitely not the best start to your day!
Sweet upgrade! Hope dinner at B&C was yummy!
No and we were like, "is this foreshadowing as to how the rest of the trip will go???" Luckily it was not :goodvibes
I’m doing great ~ we finally have a trip booked that I think we we actually get to take (Labor Day weekend). After seeing your Facebook posts, my sister and I were kicking ourselves for canceling our July trip. ::yes::
Yay! I bet that one will stick :thumbsup2 July trips were tricky as far as knowing whether going or cancelling was the right thing to do; honestly up until about 5 days prior to leaving, when talking to friends we would say "as of now we're still going". But if you had any doubts or concerns that would have weighed on you and may have made the trip not what you want it to be; I'm happy my posts made you feel more positive!

hate airport delays, ugh!
I don't know if it's worse at the beginning of vacation or when you're going home!
Good timing to make your dining reservations.
I couldn't believe it lol I had expected the whole night to be a bust.
Loving your TR so far!
Hello there and :welcome:
I found the link on the Sept. or the BC/YC thread and was intrigued with the Smee- that's my DH's nickname since high school. Looking forward to reading more!
I'm glad you found me! LOL I absolutely LOVE the Smee shirt I got that I am wearing in the picture in my intro and I used "Smee" in another TR title that I did earlier this year 🤣 That's cute it's your DH's nickname!
I hope you enjoy my report!

I love that you got an upgrade but I really hope that doesn't happen to us (unless they go all the way up to a 2 bed!) because my kids don't want to share a bed!
I totally understand! Since the boys were originally supposed to come this would not have worked; the studio had the 2 queen beds and day bed Chris would have slept in. No WAY they'd sleep together! We do get upgrades here and there and usually when the boys aren't with us, but if we got one like this with all 4 of us I'd unfortunately have to turn it down.
I kind of had a feeling we were upgraded because we never got our room ready info until late. At 4:30 it did say our room as ready but under # it said to see the front desk which is sometimes a hint. However by the time we were in the Lyft on our way we checked again and the # was there.
I will cross my fingers you do NOT get an upgrade like this lol
I love West Side Story. :)
I watch it whenever I catch it on TV
The crowds would make us very nervous. We went to IKEA on a Sunday afternoon and the crowded store made us very uncomfortable even though mask compliance was good.
It was disappointing to feel uncomfortable since we were comfortable there in June and especially since it was really only because of the long delay. At first, with less flights still going out, we could spread out at other gates in the area that weren't being used. But then when those people arrived, since we were still there it caused a big jam. Luckily MCO on the return was nothing like that.
It isn't as good as the Roy Disney suite but it a very nice upgrade. We have stayed in a 2br BVC three times and always loved it. :)
Ha! I don't think any upgrade will be as good as the Roy Disney Suite unless we manage to get Roy Disney again :laughing: but it's definitely still nice. We've had 2 bedrooms at BWV and OKW years ago when the boys were younger and we rented points; in fact at BWV we rented a 2 bedroom for $800 for 8 nights over Thanksgiving if you can believe it! Again it was a LONG time ago and the owner just wanted to get it rented; we lucked out. That price won't happen again!

I haven't been checking in around here in a while because it's super sad knowing I can't go to Disney anytime soon...but I came here hoping to find a TR from your trip :rainbow:. So excited to come across it! Glad you finally got to go back.
I'm so happy you found me Katie! I know it's sad when you don't know when you'll be back; that's how I felt for months :( But Disney will be there when you're ready, plus you have an awesome cruise to look forward to when all this is (🤞) is better!
No food and no booze?! :guilty:
:sad2:
Normally there are both but at this point only the grab n go is open with pre-wrapped sandwiches, chips, etc. There are 2 fast food options and a restaurant with a bar in the terminal - all closed :mad:
You know I’m not a sports fan but I do think those themed planes are neat.
They are! Actually some of the Frontier planes have cute animals on them that I love.
I was telling R when we were at Riviera that Disney would earn a lot of goodwill if, during this weird time, they upgraded everyone up a room category! But I guess they can’t for people who are already booked in grand villas and such. We definitely saw a lot of studios occupied at RR, so you got lucky getting bumped up to that lovely one bedroom!!!
Well Steve went to the front desk at one point and thanked them for the upgrade. The CM told him they were upgrading "so many people here and at other resorts" because the studios and standard rooms were selling out. So on purpose or not lol I think they are upgrading more folks than usual!

So happy I stumbled on this trip report! I can't wait to read all about your adventures.
Yay me too, so glad you're here :goodvibes:goodvibes I hope you enjoy!!
Our back up plan is to stay at the Beach Club Villas if our cruise gets canceled in November, but if Storm-Along Bay is not open, we will switch our reservation to somewhere else. We will have four little kids who need a fun pool (without the scary clown staring at them)! :joker:
Oh man I do hope your cruise isn't cancelled; I have friends cruising in November as well. SAB is supposed to open 8/24 so hopefully that happens too! Because yes the BCV quiet pool was fine for us but TOTALLY boring for kids honestly. And I like the clown pool slide lol but it's not for everyone and quite a walk to get to!
I did not realize that Epcot was that close to the villas! What a great view!
Yes! Seriously if you exit the lobby doors you're at the Epcot turnstiles in 6-7 minutes; if you manage to find the side door/path that puts you closer to Epcot it's a few minutes less! Super close! Great to walk back at the end of a long day :)

Hi and Welcome to the DisBoards!!
Gee thanks ma'am! You all seem like a nice, wholesome bunch of folk!
o weird that we must have been walking around Epcot at the same time and I was accidentally captured in your husbands picture.
Huh 🤔 and weird that we captured you pretty much sharing shrimp with him too! But you know, Disney magic....................
hat said I would like to respectfully request that you remove said photo as I am very shy and do not like my picture to be online, especially with strangers, on the internet
Not sure I want to do that; do we get points if we totally disregard what shy, introverted DIS people request of us?
I know your travel day pretty much sucked but I'm SURE it got much better from there on out...LOL!!!
Much better lol!
Kari you’re a hoot! :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
That's one word for her :rotfl2: Love you @kastoney!
ou are shy, Jenny is teetotal and Ariane has never ever used a swear word. Me, I only ever speak the absolute truth especially when commenting on other people’s trip reports about their friends/wives/co-conspirators :confused3:rotfl2::goodvibes
You nailed it all lol!
Um, what?? That's also slightly terrifying...but glad you were eventually able to get on your way!
I know, like it was an afterthought lol! Funny now; not so much at the time!
Woo hoo! We managed to snag a reservation for Beaches & Cream, so hoping it was a good one - and at least you made it!
We did enjoy our meal and it was also our first time in there since the refurb. So cute!🤗
I did! And not exactly - we are preplanning next week remotely, and then distance learning starts August 10, with a planned return to face to face school August 21. Not sure exactly how anything is going to go, since our district seems to be the master at last-minute information (as you have seen).
Funny enough our district here in NY is the same; like the last one to decide anything. It was that way with the HS graduations, yearbook distribution, and will probably be that way with OK'ing a definite back to school plan..............
No word from Disney yet, so hoping I eventually get back there!
I really hope you do!
Ive been reading your trip reports for years and love all the “dis meets”! You all seem to have so much fun
Aw so glad you found me and are here 🤗 We do have TONS of fun! It's often weird in the beginning when you plan the initial "meet", and some are one and done's, not because anyone isn't a good person but because you find that Disney is all you have in common - which is fine! But then you find those that you really connect with and that makes all this so fabulous!
I’ll be staying at WL in Sept. and looking forward to MAGIC BARS!!!!
Hey Steve and I are at BRV Sept. 23-27th! What are your dates? Maybe we can get Magic Bars together ::yes::
I would 100% go drinking with you ladies 😂
LOL you are welcome anytime!
So happy to find your TR, can’t wait to read more!
Hey there and :welcome: so happy to see another friend found me! Hope you are doing well and enjoy this report!
The more the merrier! You’d be very welcome though I must warn you the others can be the quiet, shy, make one cocktail lady a lifetime type but I will do my best to jolly them up in advance of your arrival! :rotfl2::drinking1:rotfl2::drinking1
Yeah you sure do have your work cut out for you :rotfl::rotfl:

Yikes what a travel day!

I've been known to push it driving with my gas light on but I drive a Jeep not a giant plane in the sky lol. Not sure I'd be willing to take the same risk as a pilot.

I'm impressed that you still made your ADR!

Yikes what a travel day!

I've been known to push it driving with my gas light on but I drive a Jeep not a giant plane in the sky lol. Not sure I'd be willing to take the same risk as a pilot.
We've had annoying delays on our way home which stinks because there's nothing to even look forward to lol but this took the cake. No crew what??? Not enough fuel - WHAT?????
Darn I would love to meet you but my dates are 9/9-9/16😒. I’ll be back in Dec 12/3-12/9 at GDT...
Aw, well the important thing is you're going! We were there those dates last December and actually stayed at GDT, so funny! I do prefer the tower to the regular Coronado rooms since they open to indoor corridors.

So I realized that I jumped right in to our fabulous travel day without any background into how this trip came about! And these months many of us have a long paper trail (yeah I'm old; we'll say long email trail) of cancelled/rebooked vacation plans. I'm no different! I feel so lucky that we were just there in January, another adult only trip, most of it with our great friends and travel buddies @Jenny Sanders and Joe plus a few other special friends @pepperandchips @ArielSRL @Mollydolly334 and @chunkymonkey :

We got to see Caroline @disneyAndi14 and finally meet her daughter - the Andi in disneyAndi14 - also on that trip!

I wasn't that sad leaving because we had super awesome plans for less than 3 months later, a spring break/18th birthday for Ricky Disney cruise followed by a day at AK! We also had a fantastic 8 night July 4th stay booked with 2 nights at the Contemporary and then 6 nights at the Boardwalk CLUB LEVEL which we've never done there, and that would be our last big vaca before Ricky left for school.

Needless to say neither happened 😿 Nor did our back up Memorial Day Disney trip, or our early June back up Disney trip. Luckily though in anticipation of the parks not opening prior to July 4th I was able to book this late July trip before they shut the ability to book 2020 for that little time period so we ended up with the Boardwalk Inn from July 24-31st for all 4 of us! And the June trip turned into an absolutely wonderful Universal trip:

Then with Boardwalk not opening we were moved to BCV. I wasn't sad about this, but had been looking forward to Boardwalk again since we hadn't stayed in 5 years. And then the boys opted out so we cut off 2 days since this would be their first time staying home alone (my mom stepson checked in) and that's how we ended up at the BCV for 5 nights! OK I feel better now that you all know the backstory lol. We'll move on to our first dinner at Disney!

Day 1 Part 2: Hey Beaches I Need FOOD!

I left off with us running to make our Beaches and Cream reservation which we did! Amazing landing at 7:43 and still waiting 10 minutes for our 7:40 ADR. Not complaining at all! And as an FYI we really like being able to "check in" for our ADR's online. We found pretty consistently that we had about a 3-5 minute wait when we did this other than B&C so didn't do it until we were really close to the restaurant; you cannot do it until at least 15 minutes before your ADR time.
While we sat outside we commented how forlorn SAB looked all shuttered up:

There were quite a few people waiting to be called so it's a good thing they expanded the restaurant! We hadn't been since then and it's absolutely adorable, still maintaining that cute soda shop vibe.
I'm so used to doing dining reports but for my "first" 😏 I'm combining! So enjoy this review of our dinner!

We were seated at a booth that ran along the wall and normally would seat at least 4 separate parties. For now they are seating 2 parties along the wall. Here is what our view of the main part of the restaurant was:

We were fully comfortable with the distance between all tables and also noted that booths ,chairs and tables were all wiped down in between guests:

515647W

By a manager too! We were extremely parched from all the mask wearing of the day so started with beverages:

That pineapple hard cider was so good and not overly sweet like you'd think. We were also beyond starving+
.Luckily our food came quickly and while most menus have been scaled down for now, B&C still had great options. Steve got the

Reuben Sandwich
Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss, and Thousand Island Dressing on Marbled Rye Bread

And said it was everything a Reuben should be. He gets these fairly often and is a big fan of corned beef. I don't like it so much but I do like this:

French Dip Sandwich
Toasted French Roll served with Thinly-sliced Roast Beef, Swiss, and Au Jus topped with Crispy-fried Onions

Mmm crispy fried onions :worship: It officially comes with fries but I subbed the onion rings because these have always been some of the best O'rings on property and that hasn't changed! Crisp, light, not greasy at all and I ate them all!

*Sidenote all condiments came in a separate little dish, none are left on tables anymore*

Here's a bad shot of some of the cute art work on the walls now:

We finished up and you would assume given where we were we'd get ice cream right? Especially since I eat sweets any chance I get? But alas we did not (right now we did not ;)) and that's because we had more plans for after dinner and I need to leave room for more adult beverages! We were meeting our friends Renee and her DH Chad @ArielSRL at Martha's Vineyard, the lounge at the Beach Club. They were staying at Boardwalk and this was really the only chance we'd have to meet up. Martha's Vineyard was convenient for both of us and open until 10 as opposed to Abracadabar that was closing at 9. We'd been to MV the summer before with Renee and @pepperandchips and knew the drinks were good!

As we walked out of the restaurant we saw this going on:

CM cleaning the doors and door handles of the arcade and the arcade isn't even open so in theory nobody is touching it! Now we all probably agree WDW isn't a dirty place or we wouldn't all go but I can tell you, the areas we saw being cleaned on this trip were areas that I would not normally even think about whether they're cleaned or not. So either I'm a dirty girl :poop: or they are taking their safety protocol very seriously.

Off my Basin soapbox now! Next up will be the finale of our arrival evening!

it's a good thing they expanded the restaurant! We hadn't been since then and it's absolutely adorable, still maintaining that cute soda shop vibe.
We liked the expansion too and surprisingly the food.

So either I'm a dirty girl :poop: or they are taking their safety protocol very seriously.
I will say you sing a mean "Pour Some Sugar on Me." LMBO!
And yes, Disney did a great job of cleaning!!!

my mom stepson checked in
Mom stepson is a level of family that we don’t even have here in Georgia... 🙃 ::cue banjo music::

Hey Beaches I Need FOOD!
I feel like this would make a best seller of a tee shirt! Where’s Whitney when we need her??

We were seated at a booth that ran along the wall and normally would seat at least 4 separate parties. For now they are seating 2 parties along the wall.
Hey I sat at this one! That reminds me... I started a TR that I never went back to... :rolleyes::p:rotfl:

And said it was everything a Reuben should be. He gets these fairly often and is a big fan of corned beef.
Omg yessss. Steve and I may have the same palate. Those fries and onion rings look so good right now!

We'd been to MV the summer before with Renee and @pepperandchips and knew the drinks were good!
Didn’t someone have to get a drink replaced last time? :duck: Maybe not. I can’t remember. Anyway the company was superb and it is a cozy little hideaway for catching up!

I’m so sad I missed you 😭😭😭

Well after the travel pains, you really did get your trip off to a great start! Beaches and Cream is a family favorite here though we’ve only been in the old place. Your food is making me hungry and it’s only 7.33 am so I’m not getting onion rings any time soon lol. Martha’s Vineyard is a great wee place to meet friends though I loved the old A&C lounge best. My youngest son, aged about 3 at the time, fell asleep standing up while we had drinks in MV and I didn’t even know that was possible! He was resting his head on his dad’s lap when we heard teeny tiny snores 😴 💤 Poor soul left in the care of unseeing parents😂. We did call it a night at that point :rotfl:

will say you sing a mean "Pour Some Sugar on Me." LMBO!
LMAO! I seem to remember that was YOUR song of choice that night while I went with "the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire................." as well as another one or two!
Mom stepson is a level of family that we don’t even have here in Georgia... 🙃 ::cue banjo music::
Hey us Yankees can do anything you Southerners can, but better :snooty:
I feel like this would make a best seller of a tee shirt! Where’s Whitney when we need her??
Hey @Whit64130 we need your services lol!
We'd all definitely have to go to B&C with these. Or a festival! OK let's start making plans..................✍
I started a TR that I never went back to... :rolleyes::p:rotfl:
Ah yes you do and I was mighty sad as I was looking forward to reading that during quarantine. You should go back and finish it now since you're on here a lot more! Starting trouble on the TPAS board threads saying kids shouldn't be in adult spaces :laughing:
I’m so sad I missed you 😭😭😭
Believe me Steve and I are too ❤ We need to get you guys down there on one of our upcoming trips.............
Martha’s Vineyard is a great wee place to meet friends though I loved the old A&C lounge best.
It is but I agree, I prefer Ale and Compass. The same group we went to MV with last July actually hung out at A&C that trip too! I was hoping they'd open for this trip but sadly they didn't; now I"m hoping they open later this month when the Yacht Club opens so we can maybe go there in September. One bummer is definitely that certain lounges and restaurants aren't open yet.
My youngest son, aged about 3 at the time, fell asleep standing up while we had drinks in MV and I didn’t even know that was possible! He was resting his head on his dad’s lap when we heard teeny tiny snores 😴 💤 Poor soul left in the care of unseeing parents😂. We did call it a night at that point :rotfl:
:rotfl2::rotfl2: you guys definitely fit in with us Moira!!!

Dinner sounds delicious. I'm a Reuban fan too. I'm trying to decide between Beaches & Cream and Sanaa for our Saturday night dinner.

I'm glad I finally found you!! I saw some of your trip pics on FB and it looked like a great time. I actually really wish I could go now and take advantage of the low ride wait times...but what can you do. I will have to live vicariously.

Plus there really aren't food options open yet and no alcohol so there's that.

Ugh...I think a lot of people might struggle with flying on a plane without any booze lol..but booze and social distancing really don't mix well lol

We didn't really see the view from our balcony until the morning but it was pretty neat; we could see the Eiffel Tower and also some of the Skyliner cars going by:

That's really cool. The more I see of this hotel the more I think I'd like to stay there.

I subbed the onion rings because these have always been some of the best O'rings on property and that hasn't changed! Crisp, light, not greasy at all and I ate them all!

Those onion rings look really good, I'm picky about onion rings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter