Hello new forum member and new Disney Cast Member would like your input

Lee Matthews

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

Firstly i would like to apologize if this post is in the wrong part of the forum, feel free to move if needed

My name is Lee, i'm 21 and live in the UK. I've been to Disney World a couple of times on Holiday in 2006 and 2007 and fell in love with the place.

Recently i've been accepted into the Disney Cultural Representative Program, which means i'll be a Disney Cast member at the UK Pavilion in Epcot. My 1 year Program starts on 14th July 2009 and finishes 9th July 2010. I am very excited and really Honored to be working for one of the best companies in the world.

The reason i'm posting is that i would like your input as Guests of WDW to help me be the very best Cast member that i know i can be while i'm there

What do you look for in a Cast Member?

What would make a Cast Member Memorable to you after your Vacation has finished?

As a Cast member what lengths do you expect me to go when serving you?

I'll probably get some more questions in as the discussion goes on but i'm interested to know your views.

Sorry if it does sound like an odd question :p

This is a very interesting topic. I am going to move it to our Theme Parks Community Board.

Good Luck with your WDW experience!

18.gif

mickeywelcome2.gif

Congratulations on becoming a WDW cast member! :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

What would make a Cast Member Memorable to you after your Vacation has finished?

As a Cast member what lengths do you expect me to go when serving you?

I like it when I see cast members who are polite, friendly, and helpful.

A cast member would be memorable to me if they were sincerely helpful and and friendly. On my last trip to Disneyland, there were two cast members who stood out in my mind. My family and I met them while we were shopping for souvenirs on Main Street. They were very friendly, offered to help us find what we were looking for, and even chatted with us for a while. You could tell that they really enjoyed their job.

I don't expect the cast members to bend over backwards, but I do expect them to do their best to make the sure that the Disney guests have a pleasant and magical time at the park.

Congrats Lee!! I'm doing that exact programme right now! I started July 29th so I will still be here when you get here but I'm leaving late July. Are you food and beverage or merchandise? I'm in food, I'm a server at the Rose and Crown. If you want to chat about it, feel free to PM me! It's a great experience!

Please Please Please never give a guest inaccurate information. If you do not know the answer don't guess. I once over heard a CM tell a family they needed to return to their hotel to pick up their EMH braclets. :scared1: My young son spoke up and directed them to the correct location.

Congrats Lee!! I'm doing that exact programme right now! I started July 29th so I will still be here when you get here but I'm leaving late July. Are you food and beverage or merchandise? I'm in food, I'm a server at the Rose and Crown. If you want to chat about it, feel free to PM me! It's a great experience!

Food and Beverage. I believe you start in the Harry Ransdom fish and chip shop before moving to the Rose and Crown?

Thanks for your input guys, please keep it coming:thumbsup2

Hi Lee
I am former UK cultural representative.
If you have any questions drop me a pm and we can chat xxx
Ashley

Food and Beverage. I believe you start in the Harry Ransdom fish and chip shop before moving to the Rose and Crown?

Thanks for your input guys, please keep it coming:thumbsup2

That's correct. You start off in the chippy and on the podium (checking in guests and seating them in the restaurant), maybe on the beer cart or stocking up the beer cart and bar. Your job changes every day so you don't get stuck doing one thing the whole time. I went into service after 2 months but recently people are going into service after 3-4 months. Definitely start learning the menu as soon as you get here, you have a better change of getting to be a server sooner.

A smile, a hello, and don't make any assumptions about the guests with disabilities.

The reason I say this is my DBF is in a motorized wheelchair and has Cerebral Palsy, his arm is out on his side. Some CM's have seen him with the wheelchair and thought he had a developmental disability as well as a physical disability. They talked to him like he was a child, the man has 3 college degrees and is going to be graduating from a Masters Program in Rehabilitation Administration at the end of the summer.

Just treat everyone with respect and treat them like you would want to be treated on your first trip to WDW.

Appreciate the input guys. Here are a few points i've picked up elsewhere so far,

1. Always smile and remain polite. Even if you encounter rude guests

2. Interact with the kids. Get down to their level, chat to them and make them feel special

3. Keep aware of anyone who may be celebrating a birthday or anniversary and take the opportunity to celebrate it.

4. Know your parks and attractions. Some rides for example are not easy to find, so you'll need to be able to give accurate directions.

5. Enjoy the experrince

On your days off go enjoy the parks. The best way to chat with guests about their vacation is to know as much about the parks and resort as possible. That way you can tell your own stories and recommend attractions or other activities.

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here. I'm looking forward for meet friends, read different reviews and inspired by their updates. More wonderful pics to see...

Have a nice day. :)

what a fantastic adventure for you!!!!

I'd say talk to as many people as you can! Kids and adults! share your experiences....i love it when CM's at Epcot tell me about their home town, or how things are different between the states and their country!

Above all else you should smile, laugh and enjoy your time there. That type of attitude will be contagious.

I will say it again, just be polite and friendly.
I love when the CM talk to my children! We had the most amazing server at the resturant in Norway, my kids decided to get her autograph and picture too! And all because she was nice!!!

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Good for you!!!:cool1:

Tips from a former CM and long-time AP holder:

1. Find an outlet for your stress early on. It's a hard, hot, miserable job sometimes. The magic can certainly be found as a CM, but it's a whole different world than it is for the guests. Being that far away from home and adapting to a whole new way of life simultaneously can magnify stress levels. Whatever you do with stress at home--exercise, writing, whatever--make it a part of your life from the beginning. That will help you avoid burnout and make it easier to find the magic day in and day out.

2. Remember that whatever question a guest is asking, he or she is asking for the first time, even if you've heard it 1000 times that same day. This one can be tough, especially since it sometimes seems you only ever hear the same two questions: Where's the bathroom and what time's the 3:00 parade?

3. Disney is one of the few employers in the world that not only allows but actively encourages playing while at work. As long as you're still doing your basic job duties, you can't go wrong by engaging with kids, doing silly things to cheer up cranky teens, or joking around with frazzled adults.

4. The little things really do mean so much to guests. Replace a dropped ice cream cone, work a little magic to get an extra Fastpass to a family going through a meltdown, or give a family the inside scoop on how to up their score on Buzz. They'll remember you forever and, if you're really lucky, pass along a compliment to Guest Relations, which can mean very good things for you.

5. Don't take yourself or job pressures too seriously. Disney's a huge company, and like any other company, things go wrong. Policies are sometimes inconsistent, low-level managers are sometimes power-hungry, and co-workers are sometimes annoying. Let things roll off, and focus on the guests.

6. Most important--have fun! Guests can tell when you're having a bad day. Of course you're human, and bad days will happen. But remind yourself why you're doing this, and enjoy the heck out of being at Disney World!

Congrats Lee. I would say by the fact you are asking on the forum here already means you will be a great Cast Member.

The CMs we loved were the ones who looked us in the eye and spoke to us. That simple.

As guests we were shy but we really did love the over the top "Disneyness" confidence of some cast members.

Lee,
Congrats and enjoy your stay! We plan to eat at both Harry Ramsden and Rose and Crown in August and will look out for you.

As to your questions--the most memorable cast members for us were the ones who treated us in a way that showed that they knew that this was a "magical" vacation, and not just any other trip or restaurant. They did this with special smiles, attention to our needs, friendliness, conversations, etc. We had a really nice server at Rose and Crown one time--he made a point of chatting with us about his travel experiences. Other CMs in Epcot told us little facts about their countries.

My only negative experience with Epcot World Showcase CMs was a group in one country who seemed more interested in talking to each other and weren't paying much attention to guests.

What it all comes down to is that the CMs who made us feel welcome and special were the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter