Help! Carpet Damaged During Installation

Staarr11

Earning My Ears
Advice please: had carpet installed in basement recently. Installers used the wrong type of vacuum and the carpet fibers got stuck in the beater bar and then melted the carpet. It’s in various spots throughout. Installer offered to re-install, but they did a crappy job the first time and scheduling was a nightmare (they couldn’t give me an exact date or time). Plus it’s such a hassle to move furniture, etc. They did also offer a 12% discount off a $5,000 bill. I’d like to just take the money, but 12% seems rather low for their negligence. They burned the rug, and instead of stopping they kept going throughout the whole room. What do you think is fair compensation? TIA.

Wait, they turned the carpet and you still moved furniture in?

See if they will discount 20%.

I didn’t see it right away. Plus, because of the nature of the carpet it is somewhat harder to notice.

Advice please: had carpet installed in basement recently. Installers used the wrong type of vacuum and the carpet fibers got stuck in the beater bar and then melted the carpet. It’s in various spots throughout. Installer offered to re-install, but they did a crappy job the first time and scheduling was a nightmare (they couldn’t give me an exact date or time). Plus it’s such a hassle to move furniture, etc. They did also offer a 12% discount off a $5,000 bill. I’d like to just take the money, but 12% seems rather low for their negligence. They burned the rug, and instead of stopping they kept going throughout the whole room. What do you think is fair compensation? TIA.
They should move your furniture and redo the carpet correctly. Insist on speaking to the owner- he should oversee the new job himself.

You need to decide what you want. If you're fine with their offer, take it. If you want more tell them. Personally I would demand an immediate complete re-install and discount due to the time and hassle you've been put through. But I'm not you. I don't know what else you have on your plate, the future plans for the room, the current plans for the room or what it was like having those creeps in your house- therefore, my opinion is worth 0%. Go with what you want.

First people make mistakes and being the person is willing to make it right is the most important part. Demanding anything will just make things worse.. Treating the installer as a person will get you a lot further... So my question would be 5K for one room? or is it 5K for multiple rooms and the carpet is burned in just one room? I will believe it was for more than one room. I would imagine he is offering 600 as this is somewhat near what replacing the carpet in that room will cost him... If you paid 5K for one room and he is offering you 600 I would have him redo the carpet within a very reasonable period of time.

First people make mistakes and being the person is willing to make it right is the most important part. Demanding anything will just make things worse.. Treating the installer as a person will get you a lot further... So my question would be 5K for one room? or is it 5K for multiple rooms and the carpet is burned in just one room? I will believe it was for more than one room. I would imagine he is offering 600 as this is somewhat near what replacing the carpet in that room will cost him... If you paid 5K for one room and he is offering you 600 I would have him redo the carpet within a very reasonable period of time.

All fair points. I have been very diplomatic throughout this process. Them, not so much. It’s all one room...the basement. I’m willing to overlook some of it because it is a basement, and during the installation they damaged walls by chipping paint off and denting baseboards. I used them because they have installed carpet before for me a few years ago and did an excellent job. I don’t know what happened since then.

All fair points. I have been very diplomatic throughout this process. Them, not so much. It’s all one room...the basement. I’m willing to overlook some of it because it is a basement, and during the installation they damaged walls by chipping paint off and denting baseboards. I used them because they have installed carpet before for me a few years ago and did an excellent job. I don’t know what happened since then.

Reinstall and fix the damage to your walls and baseboards and any additional damage they create during the reinstall.

Did you hire the carpet installer yourself, or is the carpet installer a subcontractor of your general contractor?

Assuming you hired your own sub (carpet installer), that gives you the role of the GC, so you should have a "punch walk" and point out all of the wall damage and carpet damage. Now, what's important is your signed contract. Read through it and see what steps you need to take. Usually a contract will prevent you from just saying, "You did a horrible job! I need a full refund, and I want to hire a new installer!" The contract will also hold them to completing the job. So they need to reinstall your carpet using the appropriate tools specified by the product manufacturer. And once they reinstall, walk through the entire room with the field rep and make sure that everything is to standard... before you move in your furniture!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!