Help! DCL says my plans violate Pass Vessel act

See this is not what I get.. Technically they are two separate reservations.. you check in and check out.. AND check back in.. You are disembarking in YVR.. So you re techincally starting a cruise in a foreign port??

edit: saw the thing about the "distant" thing... I really see no point in this "law" its not like its affecting any market balances.
It is to discourage registering in cheap nations to do US journeys.

See this is not what I get.. Technically they are two separate reservations.. you check in and check out.. AND check back in.. You are disembarking in YVR.. So you re techincally starting a cruise in a foreign port??
The law only looks at where a passenger gets on a ship and where that same passenger debarks the same ship. Booking SC to Vancouver, back to back with Vancouver to Honolulu means the passenger embarked in San Diego and debarked in Honolulu.

A foreign flagged vessel cannot transport passengers between two different US ports without a stop in a distant foreign port. A distant foreign port is described as any port NOT in "North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2). "

If the passenger takes a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, gets off the ship, then boards a DIFFERENT ship to Hawaii, that's legal.

The first scenario means a ship is being used for transportation between US ports The second scenario means 2 different ships are being used for touring.

Yes, but I guess there’s a chance that I’ll disembark in Hawaii without going back to Vancouver and DCL would be on the hook for a “potential“ violation so they choose to not allow it...
Really, you don't want to do that, anyway. The fine is like $768 per passenger if that happens. The fine is assessed against the cruise line, but passed onto the passenger via the onboard account. There are other penalties that can be assessed, including being banned from using those ports again. Cruise lines do not want to be in that position.

I’m booked on all 3 of these cruises and haven’t heard anything from Disney and it’s been a week. No idea if it’s allowed or not after reading here and social media. Sigh.

Really, you don't want to do that, anyway. The fine is like $768 per passenger if that happens. The fine is assessed against the cruise line, but passed onto the passenger via the onboard account. There are other penalties that can be assessed, including being banned from using those ports again. Cruise lines do not want to be in that position.
It would cost me even more....the spent cost of the second cruise!!!
🤣

I’m booked on all 3 of these cruises and haven’t heard anything from Disney and it’s been a week. No idea if it’s allowed or not after reading here and social media. Sigh.
It is allowed.

The problem arose, initially, when DCL first started with the Hawaii/Vancouver, and Seattle/Vancouver cruises. They either didn't know,, or thought they could work around the PVSA.

They found out otherwise. Then they started being overly cautious and those people who booked the repo and Hawaii cruises round trip (3 cruises) were told they couldn't. Which isn't true.

Maybe they've finally figured it out.

DCL cast member told me they have a computer program that will run and they will notify those customers that are impacted...I only found out today because I was trying to transfer my cruises to Costco.

DCL cast member told me they have a computer program that will run and they will notify those customers that are impacted...I only found out today because I was trying to transfer my cruises to Costco.
I’m confused, did you book the B2B, San Diego to Vancouver and continuing to Hawaii, or the B2B2B, San Diego to Vancouver to Hawaii and back to Vancouver? The B2B isn’t allowed but the B2B2B is.

I’ve booked b2b Wonder 5 night San Diego to Vancouver followed by first Hawaii cruise.
I’m no expert on this law but I don’t understand how the combo could violate the passanger vessel act. The first cruise ends in a foreign in port and the second starts in a foreign port.
DCL let me book them but have told my TA that I can’t do it this way.
What am I missing here?
thanks
Yup, Ive been in your boat, nothing you can do........

I’m confused, did you book the B2B, San Diego to Vancouver and continuing to Hawaii, or the B2B2B, San Diego to Vancouver to Hawaii and back to Vancouver? The B2B isn’t allowed but the B2B2B is.
I was b2b2b with the two Hawaii cruises but both Costco and I were told by DCL that it was a no go...two different CMs told us this...I guess either both CMs were wrong or DCL has made a decision to not allow it. Don’t know...

I was b2b2b with the two Hawaii cruises but both Costco and I were told by DCL that it was a no go...two different CMs told us this...I guess either both CMs were wrong or DCL has made a decision to not allow it. Don’t know...
The CMs could be correct, DCL won't allow it, but legally it's allowed.

Did you only talk to the CMs that answer the phones? Or did you take it up to a supervisor?

Last edited:
My TA talked to a DCL supervisor when he was talking to them so I guess I should have said “3” CMs told us. Oh well...the two Hawaii cruises are the important to me.

My TA talked to a DCL supervisor when he was talking to them so I guess I should have said “3” CMs told us. Oh well...the two Hawaii cruises are the important to me.
Yeah, it seems they haven't really figured out all the nuances of the PVSA. And they're erring on the side of caution. Sad.

Several years ago DCL had a Galviston to San Juan repo, followed by a short cruise to Miami. We would have loved to take it but was pretty sure that it was not allowed. So we brought it up with the DCL person who said "No Problem" we said, "Check with a Supervisor" ... they did and came back and said, "You are correct, you cannot do that" so we didn't book either of those cruises.
#Sad

The PVSA has outlived its "usefulness" ... because the Cruise Lines really don't care about every registering in the USA except for the ONE Norwegian ship that sails around the Hawaiian Islands.

Several years ago DCL had a Galviston to San Juan repo, followed by a short cruise to Miami. We would have loved to take it but was pretty sure that it was not allowed. So we brought it up with the DCL person who said "No Problem" we said, "Check with a Supervisor" ... they did and came back and said, "You are correct, you cannot do that" so we didn't book either of those cruises.
#Sad

The PVSA has outlived its "usefulness" ... because the Cruise Lines really don't care about every registering in the USA except for the ONE Norwegian ship that sails around the Hawaiian Islands.

It also protects airlines and rental companies. If you could take a cheap 2 day Carnival Cruise from NYC to Florida for the cost of a plane ticket that would cut into the demand for plane and US workers at the cost of cheaper foreign flagged labor. It sounds crazy that a cruise would be cheaper, but we took our TA with DCL because the cruise+ one way back tickets was actually cheaper than round trip flights to Europe. When you get into some of the other lines less than $100/night fares (or even $50/night) you can get competitive with flights.

edit to add- that’s what the original act was addressing interstate travel not pleasure cruises

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter