HELP FAST

Congratulations Susan, it sounds like you got what you wanted. If you're not going until next year,are you able to bank your points? Also by next year BC may be available and you may choose to buy there- I think points at BW and BC would be a complement to each other. Did you know you can trade points on the rent /trade board also? If you come up short, you can probably work out a deal with another member. DVC allows members to transfer points to each other. Keep my email if you ever find you're in need and I'll help you if I have any points available. :D

Yes, we have a Dec. use year so by the time we close we will have time to bank 2001 points. We will have to use the 50 points left over from 2000 that we will have to use this year. Since we travel to Chicago a lot we may use those points at the Whitehall. Thanks again for all your help and support.

If those 50 points are from Dec 2000 you will still be able to bank them- you have until May 31. Or are they banked 1999 points? In which case you do have to use them but you could bank your Dec 2000 points and have 200 points available on 12/01/01.

*Maybe we're talking about the same thing here- it's just confusing when you get year 2000 points in Dec, you tend to think of them as points for the upcoming year, rather than the past.

[This message was edited by kem330 on 02-04-01 at 12:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by kem330 on 02-04-01 at 01:27 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In other words, when you pay your dues in Jan, you are paying them on the points you will get the next Dec.
[/quote]

No, actually, you are paying the calendar year 2001 dues. Dues are always paid on a calendar basis- which is the reason DVC pro rates the dues when you first purchase. It does seem a little confusing at times, but dues are definitely on a calendar year- not use year. Enjoy!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

Doc it is confusing, because when I talked to my guide,she said we had to pay all the 2001 dues even though we would have closed in Feb - something to do with getting all the points in that use year. I thought it would be prorated because we would have only been members for 11 mos. Also in dealing with resales it's not clear- all the sellers seem to want you to pay 2001 dues, even if they've used up the points for that year. What is a reasonable points-dues correlation especially in relation to resales? It seems to me that if you get banked points they are more valuable as you have also saved yourself the dues paid on them. Hypothetically,on a BW resell with a Dec use year, if I were to purchase them today and there are no 2000 points available no banked points and say a Dec. use year,why should I pay all the 2001 dues? I was presented with a couple of resells like this and the agents
all said because I had the points available(even though it would be borrowing).If I borrow, I would still have to pay dues in Jan of 2002 and have no points left to use unless I borrow again.It seems to me I'd always be behind in that situation, whereas with a Disney purchase or a resell with leftover points- you are getting your initial points with no dues attached.Does this make any sense? So I guess from a valuation view point (not a technical DVC one) I like to attach my dues to a usage year.

* I removed the inaccurate info because of course you are right Doc- I just have my own fuzzy logic about points and dues!

[This message was edited by kem330 on 02-04-01 at 01:32 PM.]

Okay now I am confused. This is what I understood from our resale agent. There are 50 points that are banked and have to be used this year, so I guess they must be from Dec. 1999 and then we will have Dec. 2000 points which is 100 (we will have to bank these in May)and then we will receive another 100 next December.
I will check on this tomorrow, but I am pretty certain this was the deal.

The seller can ask whatever they want. The agent can suggest you pay whatever as well. It's all negotiable. Of course the agent has a vested interest in getting you to pay extra fees.

Doc is absolutely right on this (as usual) and it's a common mistake people make in evaluating resales. In many cases, this question can make or break the reasonableness of a resale. My interactions with TSS would suggest that they believe the buyer should pay the entire fees for the year if you're getting the full allotment of points, but they are wrong. I don't think they are trying to be wrong or difficult, it's just that they have a different way of looking at it.

If all of the upcomming use years points are availalbe, the "neutral" cost would be a prorated amount from the use year beginning to the end of the year. This means that the dues for a Dec use year with all 200 points remaining should be around $67 with the next years dues coming up in Dec/Jan for a full year. Of course you will need to consider the overall package, banked or borrowed points and look at each resale individually. What that means is that if you're buying a package without many points left in the upcoming use year, you may be paying as much as one and a half years of fees for points you never see.

Dean

Is this another rule being broken allowing someone to buy in with the less than the 150 points we all were told be had to buy, I'm really getting tired of seeing rules not followed, are we going to soon see anyone making reservations with no regards to the 7/11 month rule?r

Disney will not sell fewer than 150 (was 230 at one time), but resales are another issue. You could also gift smaller contracts to your family and DVC would have no control over that. This is not a bending of the rules at all- DVC has never sold fewer than the minimum to a non member(although they have changed the minimum several times).

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

Actually, we have had reports of MS allowing people to use VB points at OKW or BWV at the 11 month window. We had two people report that. One didn't seem real "with it", the other seemed quite aware of the situation and said that this year they didn't let her, she wasn't sure if it was a new MS person or not, but since it was a small number of points and they were spending some time at VB anyway, she didn't make a big deal of it.

Anything to sell more points....seems to be the motto these days.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx, pretty sick, huh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter