Help for a first timer

jmcross

One way to get tagged is to have a tag sale :)
I have lots of questions.
I have been looking at threads here and it's making me more confused.

What's the best and least expensive way to book a package with hotel and tickets? I am staying three nights. Do I have to have 4 days of park tickets with a package?
Is it better to book hotel and purchase tickets seperately?
Should I be looking for half board or paying for all meals out of pocket?
How soon in advance should I book? I'm looking at August next year.
Do I prebook fastpasses or dining reservations or is it more like Disneyland in California where you can do these things same day?

Thanks for your help!

What's the best and least expensive way to book a package with hotel and tickets?
Book direct with Disney either online or by phone, this thread will explain all you need to know about booking
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-to-book-direct-with-disney-room-and-tickets-package.3735087/
I am staying three nights. Do I have to have 4 days of park tickets with a package?
Yes hotel and ark tickets packages are standard when you book direct with Disney. You will get park tickets for your arrival day and departure day and all days in between

Arrival day - park ticket
Night 1
Full Day - park ticket
Night 2
Full Day - park ticket
Night 3
Departure Day - park ticket

Is it better to book hotel and purchase tickets seperately?
No it is not better to book hotel and purchase tickets separately.
Disneyland Paris only really allows AP holders to book hotel room , no park tickets.
You can only get room only at Disneyland Paris through 3rd party sites like Expedia
Then you have to buy park tickets separately.
The separate cost of room only and tickets only often works out more expensive then the hotel and tickets package direct from Disney.

Should I be looking for half board or paying for all meals out of pocket?
That depends. The dining plans at Disneyland Paris can be very restrictive for some people. The Disneyland Dining vouchers are only accepted at Disney owned restaurants. Places like Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe in Disney Village do not accept the Disney Dining Vouchers.
The restaurants in the parks, other than the buffets, have a set menu for the Disney Dining Vouchers. You can order from the Al A Carte menu but you will have to add money. Also many people find they do not use all the Disney Dining Vouchers and thats lost money as Disney does not refund. People find that they choose restaurants based on what is covered by their Disney Dining Vouchers instead of choosing restaurants based on the type of food they like to eat.

How soon in advance should I book? I'm looking at August next year.
That depends, you should check the various different country websites and when you find a price / deal / offer that suits you, book it.

Do I prebook fastpasses or dining reservations or is it more like Disneyland in California where you can do these things same day?
There is a paid Fastpass option which most people find is not necessary. The Fastpass system is the lagcy paper system, the same as in Disneyland California. There are far less rides on the Fastpass system in Disneyland Paris compared to the America parks.

Dining reservations open officially 60 days in advance. However there is alo an online booking option on some countries websites.

It is advisable to book restaurants in advance, as you are planning on August which is peak holiday time in Europe. The table service restaurants such as Captain Jacks and Walts and the character dining book out fast, the buffets not as fast.

Just keep in mind that the US website is usually the most expensive to book.
Compare the different websites and see what the best deal is, sometimes that can include a dining plan. But it differs per family what is good value.
Throughout the year there can be different special offers, so just check once in a while and if you see an offer that works for you, book it.

No pre-booking FP. If you have 4 days, I wouldn't pay for a fastpass, unless you have money to burn.

Start thinking about restaurants somewhere in April, and then book online (only the Auberge is currently not possible online).

This has been so helpful already!

Pros and cons of each of the Disney hotels? I'm thinking Sequoia because my husband loves Wilderness Lodge.

This has been so helpful already!

Pros and cons of each of the Disney hotels? I'm thinking Sequoia because my husband loves Wilderness Lodge.

All of the hotels are hotels not resorts, so they have less amenities than the Walt Disney World resorts. They are mainly for sleeping, breakfast and evening meal. People dont just take a day off from the parks and hang out at the hotels.

I have stayed at Disneyland Hotel, Sequoia Lodge and Santa Fe

Disneyland Hotel
Pros
Location, Location, Location
Its located above the entrance turnstiles to the main park
The club level has park view rooms
Swimming pool located in the main building
Cons
Price
I stayed here due to a free upgrade from the now closed Hotel New York. I stayed in a standard double room and honestly other than getting the free upgrade I would not pay the price. I loved it but the price even for the lowest price standard room is just not worth it.

Sequoia Lodge
Pros
Themeing, I loved the forest feel, and wooden theming.
Walk to the park is about 15 minutes
Mid price , affordable
Cons
The low price range standard rooms are located in blocks outside the main building, the upper price range standard rooms and the club level are in the main building.
The swimming pool is located in a block outside the main building

Santa Fe
Pros
Budget and family friendly - Cars themed
Cons
No swimming pool
All rooms located in blocks outside the main building
20 minute walk to the park, better to use the free shuttle bus

Don't go by looks alone. That Sequoia Lodge has a similar theming as Wilderness Lodge doesn't mean it is the same Deluxe resort. Sequoia is mid-range/moderate and as mentioned less amenities.

When I plan to be in the parks all day, I go as cheap as possible. When I plan to make more use of the room, I book moderate - concierge level.

What are considered deluxe range for DLP? Only Disneyland Hotel?
Again, excellent tips!

What are considered deluxe range for DLP? Only Disneyland Hotel?
Again, excellent tips!

Yes only Disneyland Hotel would be deluxe range

The former Hotel New York which is being turned into Hotel New York Art of Marvel will probably be classed as deluxe range but the 2020 opening date has not been announced yet.

Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay would be mid price

Cheyenne and Santa Fe would be budget

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!