• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! GAC how and what to ask for?

loadsapixiedust

DIS Veteran
:confused3 I am really starting to worry about the whole process of asking for a GAC for my DS who has severe CP. I understand from other threads that he needs to be with me at the desk, but he will be so upset hearing me speaking about his problems when, after all, we come to WDW to forget them as much as we can.
I am also unsure just what to ask for and what help can be made available, it is some years since we last visited and I think a few things will have changed. We never had any kind of pass or anything before, and just followed CMs instructions on the best way to board each ride with DS and his wheelchair.
Any advice gratefully received as this is getting me down a bit now.

I'm about to go through it myself.. I'll let you know when I get back. The good news is that my son is pretty non-verbal, so he won't be complaining to me. :grouphug:

If he is in a wheelchair and does not have other "hidden" disabilities then you do not need a GAC.

Once person recently said she wrote out what the needs were (and why) and gave that to the CMat Guest Services so she did not have totalk about it in front of her vchild and also so she would not forget anything.

Cheshire Figment said:
If he is in a wheelchair and does not have other "hidden" disabilities then you do not need a GAC.

Unless your son has issues with large crowded areas, etc., in which case you probably would want a GAC.

Without a GAC, a guest in a wheelchair will be directed to use the standard wheelchair entrance. For some attractions, this is the FP line, for some it's a special entrance, and for others, it is the regular standby line.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My DS also has epilepsy so I would need to be able to get him out of line in a hurry if he had a seizure. He also does not like crowded areas as he cannot see what's in front of him when seated in his wheelchair and this freaks him out a little.
It sounds like we don't even need to go down the GAC route, what a relief.

We just got back from WDW on 4/11 (we were there from 4/2 thru 4/11). We did have a GAC for DD, but only needed to use it twice. In general, if the regular line is 20 minutes or less, the GAC is not needed.
We found that some things with long lines earlier in the day, got much shorter as the day went on. In fact, the on Sunday (our next to last day) we went to AK. The Safari was no wait for people without special needs. We had to wait for about 15-20 minutes, but only because DD can't transfer. For the Lion King and Pocohontas shows, we had no wait. Lion King was not full. The rest of us didn't want to get wet, but DH went on Kali River Rapids twice, basically as fast as he could walk on. While he did that, the rest of us went on the Maharajah Jungle Trek (where we could sometimes not even see anyone else).
We had pretty much of the same experiences at other parks with waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter