Help ! I am new to this Disney thing !

frankiemom

DIS Veteran
Hi! I just found this board and really love it! I am thinking about going to Disney in May. I got the e-mail about the deals on the Moderate hotels and was thinking about the Carribean Beach Resort. This is our first time to Disney (I was there 3 times as a child but not since '86 so alot has changed) Please give me any tips about what kind of tickets to get to which places, places to eat, hotels to stay etc. I have been dying to call and get a quote but I have lyrengitis! So maybe on Moday I will call. Right now I am just pouring over websites for information.

Oh, by the way DH thinks my son who is going to be 4 in Apr.. is too young and many other people keep telling me the same thing-can I have some feedback on this. I don't think he is. I want to try for another child and would not go until that sibling was 4 so that means my son would not get to Disney til he was 8 or 9 for the first time. Please give me any advice you can. Thanks!:pinkbounc

Hi! How exciting! I think and many here will agree, planning is half the fun. There is tons of information here as well as tons of choices, so ask any questions. As for the age thing, my kids have been going to Disney since they were all well under 4. I also had people suggest maybe they were too young or whatever. But our last trip in Octoberf my youngest had just turned 2 and he probably had the best time of all. Plus it is just the best as parents watching their reaction! Welcome to the Boards!

I personally know several people who have taken 4 yr olds to WDW and the child doesn't remember it at all when he's older. HOWEVER, that is no reason to not take a 4 yr old! It would probably be a lot of fun for him and for you! Then when your second child is 4 or so, and your 4 yr old is 8 or 9, that will be his second trip and he'll enjoy it so much more.

I didn't take my DSs to WDW for the first time until they were 10 and 13 yrs old. We take family vacations regularly and decided it was time we finally went to WDW :D Our vacation was wonderful, DSs got to experience WDW to the fullest. We didn't have to worry about diapers, frequent potty visits, they didn't get tired during the day, no strollers or carrying exhausted toddlers, etc. For us, it was the best decision to wait till they were these ages. Others take their infants and enjoy that, too.

But like I said, if you and you DH want to take your little one to WDW, then do it! You can always go back a second, third, fourth, fifth, etc time, when he's older!!!! :D

Hi Frankiemom and welcome- lots of great info and helpful folks on these boards- enjoy. I first took each of my kids when they were only two (oldest now 25) and had a wonderful time. My only advise would be to tone it down and not try to do too much - there was only one park back then to tempt us! Some of our fondest memories are of searching for characters rather than waiting in lines - found an album just yesterday (while cleaning DS room) of him when he was just 4 1/2 with all of the characters - you could see by the huge smile on his face and the way he was hugging them, that they were very 'real' to him then. Each trip has been very different as the kids age, but every one very special in it's own way. The year my DS was 4 he was quite frightened of several rides, Pirates, HM, so we didn't push him at all - we did Small World endlessly! This year DS (now 13) and I will go alone and I'll spend most of my time on SM and RnR - oh yeah, and trading pins instead of gathering autographs! -and still love it!:cool:

I don't think 4 is too young at all, it sounds like a very good age for believing in magic. There are people who take infants, which I think is crazy but some people have said the baby had a great time. You just want to make sure that you don't take your son to certain attractions that might scare the pants off him. (Alien Encounter would be a big NO, for example.) The Unofficial Guide to WDW is a good book that covers just about everything, including a section on what rides are not good for younger children. But there are far more attractions that he will be able to experience than he won't.

The moderates are great resorts; I've stayed at the CBR and the CSR and loved them both. If you have a good deal on CBR I would go for it.

Disney really has too much choice in the hotel department - I say that like it's a bad thing - and everyone has their favorites. I read so many posts with people's vastly different opinions. One person loves a facet of a resort that another hates. You want to take into consideration:

Your budget.
Which park you are most likely going to tour the most, so you can try to stay in a hotel near it.
Is the hotel on the monorail or bus line?
Hotel's amenities (pool, restaurants, how many can sleep in a room, etc).
What theme/decor pleases you the most.

Have fun with your research!:smooth:

We went with our 2 1/2 year old grandson during June 2001. He had a great time during our 10 day visit. He often comments that he wants to go to Disney World again. And I am amazed at the things he remembers - especially details. He and his 6 year old sister really enjoyed the trip, but then so did we seeing through their eyes. Enjoy. :) ;) :)

We won a trip to DL when my DD was 2. We never would have thought to take her on our own. It was the most WONDERFUL experience. She doesn't remember too much (she's 9 now), but DH and I will NEVER forget the look on her face when she saw Mickey Mouse for the first time! Do it for yourselves. Then go back when he is older.

We took DS to WDW when he was 8 months. He was very easy - just looked around or slept in stroller. However, he totally interacted with the characters. He truly enjoyed them. He was touching their noses, pulling Pluto's whiskers - just very inquisitive. My DD was 5 at the time and really enjoyed it. Of course she does remember more of that trip.

So if you would like to take your child to WDW, go for it. No matter what anyone's age, everyone always has a good time there!

I don't think 4 is too young at all. My parents took me when I was 4 and I remember bits and pieces of it, but not a lot at all. However, they did videotape the entire vacation and when I was younger I watched the tape so many times I couldn't help but remember most of it. Even if your 4 year old remembers none of it, it will always stay in YOUR memory of how much fun you had taking them. So my advice is definitely go for it!

The first time we took the kids DD was 3 and DS had just turned 5. They remembered a lot more than I thought they would and have asked to go back every year since. My advice for going with young childern is to always remember that DW will be there when you are ready to take your next trip. Don't worry about "getting your money's worth" and seeing and doing everything. Follow the children's lead. If they're hungry, eat. If they're tired, go have a nap. You will have a much happier vacation. Sorry if this sounded kind of preachy. I just know a lot of people who drag their children around because they feel they need to get to see everything. There's a lot of magic in DW if you slow down and look around.:cool:

Originally posted by frankiemom
Oh, by the way DH thinks my son who is going to be 4 in Apr.. is too young and many other people keep telling me the same thing-can I have some feedback on this. I don't think he is. I want to try for another child and would not go until that sibling was 4 so that means my son would not get to Disney til he was 8 or 9 for the first time. Please give me any advice you can. Thanks!:pinkbounc

We took my nephew who was 3 and niece who was five. he remembers every last little detail, even things I don't! My nephew also remembers quite a bit, especially the "Jeep Truck" on the AK safari, the "fire truck" parked around the corner from Mama Melroses in MGM, the "Space truck" which was the car we sat in while riding on Buzz Lightyear, and the Monorail. He also remembers very much breakfast in the castle, the Playhouse Disney show, and quite a bit more. I would certainly not let his age stop you!

Anne

We took a 2 1/2 yr old last Fall and she talks a lot about things she did... maybe she won't remember the details forever, but we took lots of pictures and had double prints made -- I made up a small photo album just for her to play with and look at whenever she wants and she LOVES it!!

We also videotaped a few moments -- first time at resort, resort room, eatery, pool, "firsts" at the parks and also parts of some of her favorite shows (Mermaid, Beauty & Beast and Playhouse Disney)... she watches them over and over for hours.

BTW, my DH and I probably had even more fun that she did, just watching her reactions to everything! :D

Welcome to the DIS! My DD#2 is four and this May will be her fourth trip to WDW. Four is NOT too young! He will have a grand time! There is plenty for him to do and enjoy! Go, have a great time! Take advange of the good deals out there! Have fun planning!!!!

We took my 3.5 yr old son last December and he had a great time. He just made the 40" height and so he was able to go on Thunder mountain railroad and some other rides with restrictions. Even if he was not tall enough there were so many rides he could go on. We had no problem taking him at that age and he hasn't stopped talking about his trip. We are taking him back in March and he can name every ride he went on the tells us what he is looking forward to doing and seeing. The only restriction is that if we stayed in the park all day we would have to go back to our hotel by 6 or 7 pm because he was so tired. If you want to do a late night in the park just take a nap during the day and head back to the parks at night. We started our trip with breakfast at the Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters and he thought that was really special. Enjoy your trip.

We took our daughter when she was 3 yr. old and we video taped are most wonderful vacation. It was know problem at all.
As I look back at this tape off DD (3), DS(9) and DS(12) from
6 year ago (and 6 wonderful Disney vacation after our first family vacation) I realize now that is when i got hooked on Disney. my
most loving wife thinks i`m crazy going to Disney 6 years in a row,
but the memories I have will last a life time. DS (18 - member of the greatest air force - the United States Air Force will miss the next adventure) DS(15) and DD(now 9) are Disney nut like there father. so I other words take the vacation with your 4 year old because IT WILL be your vacation of a Lifetime. My DD help me with all planning for our Disney trip (junior expert)

I don't think 4 is too young. The first time at Disney for me was when I was 8... darn my parents for not taking me sooner... Disney had been open for a whold 10 months by then:) . I do not remember too much from the trip however. One suggestion is to take lots of pictures. Unless something really special happens, this is mostly what your youngsters will remember. Also do what we are planning on doing... enjoy Disney through your childs eyes and let them set the pace.

:D My 3.5 yr. old DD loved it last Sept. I think DH and I loved it even more. We also have an almost 1 yr. old DD. We didn't take her at 6 mons. So we could really spend time with other DD (lots of reasons that I won't go into for me wanting alone time with 3.5 DD.) Anyway, we've now bought APs and are going back in May and Sept with the baby. Can't wait. I bet after you get the fever #2 may make an earlier appearance at Disney than you thought. I recommend Crystal Palace lunch with the Pooh crew and Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. We stayed at ASMo in Sept. Staying there again in May, but the CBR in Sept. Have a great time.

I didn't take time to read all the posts about the age question, so this is likely just an "amen" to what others have said.

Our very recently turned 4 year old daughter has been to WDW 26 times. She knows the place like the back of her hand. She can recite attraction audio, navigate the parks, and knows many cast members personally. There's a grand total of 3 attractions for which she is too small. Over the last 3 years, I've bundled up more memories than my noggin can hold. I'm so glad I wasn't influenced by anyone telling me she was too young. Never would have happened anyway - I knew better. By no means is a 4 year old too young.

About taking a 4 yr old...our last trip was in '93 when my boys were 5 and 3. Now can my son who was 3 remember anything from that trip...no, but the memories of him lighting up with delight when he saw MM and all the other characters will last forever for my DH and me. Disney offers something for all ages!

Watch out for scary rides though...we took him on Pirates and he did not like it at all...we too spent the rest of the time in Small World...actually his grandparents went thru that with him...they were scared in Pirates too (only kidding)

Go and enjoy your son's reaction to the whole place...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!