Help - I know nothing about what to wear!

Happy2BMommy0812

Mouseketeer
So, I just have totally dropped the ball on preparing for my family’s first 5K together. We’ll probably walk/jog it. I had some clothes picked out - but now I am wondering if we should be dressing warmer........I was going to have us all wear long pants, shorts/tutus on top, and long sleeve shirts.

Should we have jackets or hoodies? The low looks like 40. Will we be freezing while we wait. How do others stay warmer??????

I think that would be fine. If you’re worried about being cold, either bring some throwaway tops (sweatshirt, etc) you might have planned to donate to Goodwill or pick up some ponchos from the Dollar Tree. You’ll find you can get warm standing the corral once everyone funnels in and then you’ll warm up quickly once you start moving.

Good luck!

So, I just have totally dropped the ball on preparing for my family’s first 5K together. We’ll probably walk/jog it. I had some clothes picked out - but now I am wondering if we should be dressing warmer........I was going to have us all wear long pants, shorts/tutus on top, and long sleeve shirts.

Should we have jackets or hoodies? The low looks like 40. Will we be freezing while we wait. How do others stay warmer??????

That's a hard question to answer. I think some of that depends on where you are from and the temps that you are used to. I'm from NC and standing around in weather in the upper 30s is chilly to me. I think right now the overnight low is predicted to be about 36 for the morning of the 5k.

To be comfortable at that temp I'll have:
1. A pair of gloves on ( Normally I would bring throw away gloves but this year with the temps I am thinking about bringing a pair of nicer warm gloves that I will wear for the 5k,10k and half.
2. Hand warmers. You can get them at walmart/target or the dollar store. I find if I put one in either the back of my shirt or hold them in my hands it really helps.
3. Something to wrap up in/sit on. Either mylar blankets, a cheap fleece blanket (walmart has them for $2.50) or a sweatshirt/jacket that I can toss when I start the race.

Like others said bring old warm clothes, even robes & cheap fleece blankets to wrap up in to wear before it starts that you can toss right before the race starts. I usually just bring stuff I would normally be getting rid of anyway, others pick up some cheap sweats at the store beforehand. They have donation bins you can put them in on the sides or a lot of people drape them over the railings, just make sure they aren't left on the road/course. I would probably also have something to cover my ears & those handwarmers too. Old socks can work as throwaway gloves too.

If you're walking and jogging the 5k, I wouldn't even worry about discarding extra clothes. Wearing a pair of sweats for the whole thing should keep you warm enough before the start but not too warm during the race.

I'd wear what you normally wear to run in those temperatures. I dress the same for a 40 degree training run as I do for a 40 degree race.

But what if I don’t do 40 degree training runs?
My winter runs in the desert mornings are about 40 degrees. I wear running tights (just normal ones, not fleece lined) a longsleeve tech shirt, and a windbreaker. I could use gloves but my hands warm up around the first mile. Since you are walking/jogging I agree with what @FFigawi said with just some sweats/pants. Bring gloves that you can pocket once your body warms up.

I'd wear what you normally wear to run in those temperatures. I dress the same for a 40 degree training run as I do for a 40 degree race.

The problem with that strategy is when I go for a 40 degree training run I walk out the door and run. I don't have to spend 1.5-2 hours standing around at 40 degrees prior to running. It's the waiting that poses the problems at these temps.

But what if I don’t do 40 degree training runs?

Then it’s hard for you innevent day ifbits that temperature. Just like ya hard for me when it’s 80+, since I can rarely run in that.

The problem with that strategy is when I go for a 40 degree training run I walk out the door and run. I don't have to spend 1.5-2 hours standing around at 40 degrees prior to running. It's the waiting that poses the problems at these temps.

And that’s the trash bag, gloves, etc suggestions. Wait in those extra things, and run in what you normally wear for such things.

A friend of mine buys NEW sweats outfits with tags on, and at the start of the race he’s doing he takes them off and folds them neatly for the clothing-gatherers. That way someone is getting something new, not just the dregs of what we’re getting rid of.

Remember to pin your bib to what you plan to be you outside most layer while running/walking. So it's visible at the start of the race and the duration.

So if you have a zippered hoodie you plan to take off, have your bib pinned to the shirt beneath it. If you plan to not take off the hoodie/jacket then pin the bib to that instead. Sounds like you'll have bib-pin-helpers (aka family) with you if you change your mind before the official start. Or pin the bib to your pants :)

And that’s the trash bag, gloves, etc suggestions. Wait in those extra things, and run in what you normally wear for such things.

I'm well aware of how to approach the topic. Not my first cold weather rodeo. I was just making the point that it's not as simple as saying "just dress like you would for a training run at the same temperature".

I would still wear the same thing I would wear for a training run in the same temperature range. 40 isn't that cold so at that temperature I would just make sure to stay warm and not worry about a throw away layer. Down closer to 30 I'd have a throw away.

The gist still stands though, race in what you train in. As the mantra goes, nothing new on race day.

40 isn't that cold

I think this sums up the difficulty in answering a question like this for another individual. While I don’t find 40 too cold to run in comfortably, generally right at the shorts/tights borderline and LS shirt for me, coming from NC I would be very uncomfortably cold standing in that temp waiting for the race start. This, I wouldn’t even consider showing up at 40 degrees without a warm throwaway layer.

I live just outside Orlando. I love running when temps are in the 40-50 degree range. Depending how cold it is I will wear long pants, long sleeved top, gloves and something on my ears. However, that’s how I prep for being able to open my front door and start running right away. Standing around in low temps, high humidity and occasional wind gusts is a completely different scenario. I lived in MA for the first 37 years of my life. I know cold weather! I tell my family and friends all the time that 40-50 here in FL is very different than 40-50 in New England. My MIL is here visiting and didn’t come prepared for these cold temps. She packed tank tops, capris and a sweater for cool evenings. I warned her that it would be cold, but she didn’t believe me.

For the wait I would bring something to stay warm in. For the 5k depending you can warm up and just carry the clothes - I'd probably be in a long sleeve and shorts to run the 5k. Sweatshirt and tights before bag check (and after the race), and a garbage bag after (they're WAY warmer then you give them credit for). Also a hat is VERY good at keeping you warm and is very small to carry for the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter