Help me calm down please!!

mickey65

Canadian Snow Girl
I went to bed at about 9:30pm, well I was just awakend by my kitty freaking out and runing all over the bed. I wake up and I see something flying around the room....with out my glasses I thought it was a moth....IT IS A BAT!! I am freaked out one, because I am afraid of bats, and two because I have NO idea how it got in. I live in an apratment building on the second floor, and the windows have screens only. HOW did the bat get in?

I managed to get the window open in the bedroom, and I came out and closed the door. The bat is still in there, just fling around. What do I do? I am freaking out! Any help??

Do you have an emergency maintenance number? Someone there might be able to help. Or do you have a neighbor that would be willing to come help shoo it out?

No maitainance number...the landloard is on holidays. we have the numbers for water problems and stuff, but not sure if this counts. Also I do know people in the building, but only too see them I don't know their phone numbers.

OMG, this same thing happened to us in our old house. Went to leave Simba out in the middle of the night and instead of going out he turned around and dashed back up the stairs all whacked out. Turned on the lights....a bat. It must have flew in over my head when I opened the door to let Simba out. I didn't see it but he sure did. DH and Simba were running all around upstairs like the Key Stone cops trying to get it. DH opened a window and whacked at it with a broom and got it out. There was some blood from it on the tops of the walls where it banged into the walls.

Do you have a broom somewhere?

I do have a broom, I will give that a try...oh man...I am terrified of bats...wih me luck :eek:

Good Luck! Luckily, I had DH to do the dirty work while I went into another room and shut the door!

OK the bat is gone! Yikes I thought the little thing was going to come right for me....I know..just a bat myth, but when you are afraid of bats...well you think these things:rolleyes: Now I am afraid to go back to sleep in my room..so I might have to sleep on the couch....if it happens again I know the kitties will alert me to the visitor. I jsut wish I knew HOW the bat go in the room in the first place....with no windows open, just screens

Thanks for listening!

Oh lord, Mickey! I was frightened just reading this! I'm in the category of terrified of bats too! So glad you got rid of it.

I hope you're okay this morning Mickey! I had a similar thing happen to me, and I didn't exactly deal with it calmly..,,:o

Bats can get through very small openings, 3/8 of an inch isn't too small for them. Check your screens for tiny tears.

Snowwark, I did not realize they could get in that small of an opening! There is a tiny space between where the screen and window meet, that must be how it got in.

I was awake till about 3am, and I slept with the light on just in case the bat came back....thankfully it did not, and I got a bit of rest.

A bat in my bedroom would scare the bejabbers out of me! My firend and her DH have a cabin up north here in MI & they have bats that move in while they're down state. She has to put sheets over her furniture to protect it from bat "droppings" and they bought a bat house hoping that they would move in to it instead but so far no such luck. She went into a store in town to ask about getting rid of the bats and was told that they are a protected species & you can't kill them but she said "I don't wanna kill them, just relocate them". As far as I know they are still her houseguests.:)

DH (Shep) has handled these situations with a tennis racket. We had this happen twice at our old house. It was great practice for him;)

hubby calmly says...dont' stand up cause bats were dive bombing...not us specifically but bugs....and I start screaming....the lights aren't on in the yard and I am freaking out. I hide under the ladder and then I start ducking out of the way...then I hit my hand on the ladder and it is all puffy....I am not a happy camper.....and I am wondering how to get out of an above ground pool with bats that are dive bombing .....scared me to pieces.....I did a lot of complaining.. never ever will I cool off at night in the pool...from now on will turn the ac on higher.......hehehe

Bats are like mice. They can flatten themselves down to nothing and craw under a crack. We had them in our house when we first moved in. I can't remember how we exterminated them ( that was 23 years ago), but they never came back. We batted one out of the air with a broom as it decended the stairs, then DH stepped on it.

Well now that I know lthey can get in so easy, I don't think I will keep the windows open at night. Thank goodness for little Lucy. If she had not freaked out, I might not of woken up :eek:

EEEWWWW!! I hate bats. I couldn't go in the bat room at AK. I would not have liked this at all. Glad it is gone.

I would have to move. Bats freak me out even more than the Flying Monkeys!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think bats are very cool. I wouldn't want one in my house though! We have them all over the neighborhood, and I enjoy watching them. There's no need to kill them. Try to catch them in a net or a towel and release them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter