Help me choose a Disney Half Marathon?

JAMIESMITH

DIS Veteran
We are saving up for a five night, six day Disney vacation to be taken in 2023 or 2024. I've been dying to run a race at Disney for several years. My older daughter will be fourteen or fifteen for this trip, depending on exactly when we go. She has ran a bunch of 5Ks and her first 10K already and is open to trying some longer distances. I'm thinking that Disney would be the perfect place for her to run her first half marathon and I would really love to share that experience with her. This will also be my younger daughter's first Disney trip. She will most likely be six when we we travel.

My husband REALLY hates crowds. We have always traveled in some of the least crowded times, mid-September and late January. I'm trying to determine which race weekend would have the lowest crowds. I don't care about crowds on the race course so much as actually in the parks. Spring Surprise is the only hard no because spring is my busiest season at work. We would plan to arrive early in the morning the day before the half marathon and stay into the following week.

Marathon weekend seems to be the least expensive in terms of hotel rooms and tickets, but I am worried about how close the races fall to New Years over the next few years. It would be cool to go right after Christmas and this is usually an extremely slow time for me at work.

Princess weekend would be cool because my younger daughter's birthday would fall either right at the end of our trip or the day we get home. The only downside to this weekend is that my older daughter might miss a tennis match.

Despite not going through Magic Kingdom, I think the Wine & Dine Half course looks the most interesting. I've also trained for fall half marathons before.

I think we can make a training plan work for any of these weekends. I'm also not terribly concerned with the theming of the race. We will enjoy any of them. Based mainly on crowds, which Disney half would you suggest?

Based just on crowds my gut is telling me Marathon weekend or Princess Weekend. If I was only going to do one rD race it would be marathon weekend even though W&D is my favorite actual race. MW is the one weekend that makes the race the star in my opinion.

So from a likely race weekend date standpoint:

Marathon Weekend (usually the weekend before MLK Jr)
2023 - Jan 4th through 8th
2024 - Jan 3rd through 7th
2025 - Jan 8th through 12th

I would make a strong bet that the 2025 race weekend will have the least crowds compared to 2023 and 2024. Both 2023 and 2024 are close to New Years which tends to have higher crowd levels. I've done MW in earlier Jan and stayed the week after for vacation purposes and it doesn't seem to thin out until Wed/Thurs of the following week. Although a weekend like 2025 which is already more middle Jan, and then the week after for vacation is ideal. That's a very lightly attended week based on my experience.

Princess Weekend (usually the weekend after President's)
2023 - Feb 23rd through 26th
2024 - Feb 22nd through 25th
2025 - Feb 20th through 23rd

I don't see these as a ton different from each other. I've not been to Disney during Princess and can give no perspective on crowd levels.

I don't remember the pattern for Wine and Dine weekends dates at the moment, nor have I been there during that weekend.

If my #1 goal was the lightest crowd levels in the parks during a runDisney race weekend, then I would be aiming for MW 2025. If 2025 is too far out, then I know MW 2023 and 2024 is likely to be heavily attended until at least Jan 11/12, 2023 or Jan 10/11, 2024.

For W&D, you should cross check the dates with Jersey week. I have done that race twice and LOVE it. The first time, the crowds were pretty low. This year, it was way busier in Epcot than I have ever seen it. Turns out, Jersey week happened to be that week as well and it was bananas. Lines for F&W booths were so long and it was packed shoulder to shoulder around the world showcase. I didn’t go to other parks, but my guess is they were also very crowded. By Sunday/Monday, crowds were more like what I was used to seeing in November.

Princess Weekend itself is always packed. I'm a teacher and we get the entire previous week off for President's Week, so that's the race we always do because it fits within that break. I would think the parks lighten up a bit after that Sunday, but can't say for sure. It Mardis Gras falls during that week, it will have a huge impact on crowds as well.

Yep, I am planning on participating and am already bracing myself for crowds. We have historically traveled to WDW on off-seasons so the crowds are a little shocking for me. Luckily, I won’t be doing heavy park days.

I really don't think race anniversaries move the attendance scale in any perceptional way. The proximity to the holiday may but even a few thousand extra Dopey runners will absorb into the parks without much notice.

I really don't think race anniversaries move the attendance scale in any perceptional way. The proximity to the holiday may but even a few thousand extra Dopey runners will absorb into the parks without much notice.

Agreed. The anniversaries don‘t really impact attendance because all race weekends tend to sell out or come close to selling out. The impact of anniversaries is felt during registration, with anniversary years selling significantly faster and being a bit harder to secure bibs for.

Agreed. The anniversaries don‘t really impact attendance because all race weekends tend to sell out or come close to selling out. The impact of anniversaries is felt during registration, with anniversary years selling significantly faster and being a bit harder to secure bibs for.

That makes sense. Faster sell-outs but not necessarily more numbers. The proximity to NYE is probably a bigger factor. Still, bracing myself. That week will be the busiest we have ever experienced WDW.

Based mainly on crowds, which Disney half would you suggest?
I would go with Wine & Dine as it is most likely to not have a major holiday close to it. Even then crowds can happen.
Isn't MW 2023 also a Dopey anniversary year?
Which also makes it a marathon anniversary year if I remember correctly. What could be interesting to see is how much extra pizazz they give the medals that year since Marathon Weekend 2022 is getting lots of pizazz due to the 50th anniversary of Disney World.

I would definitely do MW in January. Princess always falls at the end of a break week for the Northeast and at least half the people I know travel to Disney for that week every year. Wine and Dine would be 2nd choice.

So from a likely race weekend date standpoint:

Marathon Weekend (usually the weekend before MLK Jr)
2023 - Jan 4th through 8th
2024 - Jan 3rd through 7th
2025 - Jan 8th through 12th

I would make a strong bet that the 2025 race weekend will have the least crowds compared to 2023 and 2024. Both 2023 and 2024 are close to New Years which tends to have higher crowd levels. I've done MW in earlier Jan and stayed the week after for vacation purposes and it doesn't seem to thin out until Wed/Thurs of the following week. Although a weekend like 2025 which is already more middle Jan, and then the week after for vacation is ideal. That's a very lightly attended week based on my experience.

Princess Weekend (usually the weekend after President's)
2023 - Feb 23rd through 26th
2024 - Feb 22nd through 25th
2025 - Feb 20th through 23rd

I don't see these as a ton different from each other. I've not been to Disney during Princess and can give no perspective on crowd levels.

I don't remember the pattern for Wine and Dine weekends dates at the moment, nor have I been there during that weekend.

If my #1 goal was the lightest crowd levels in the parks during a runDisney race weekend, then I would be aiming for MW 2025. If 2025 is too far out, then I know MW 2023 and 2024 is likely to be heavily attended until at least Jan 11/12, 2023 or Jan 10/11, 2024.

I love your analytics! I would prefer to go before 2025. My older daughter will be sixteen by then and possibly too cool for a Disney race with her mom. However, it may be the best choice for an enjoyable family vacation. I will be curious to read about your upcoming Princess weekend experience.

For W&D, you should cross check the dates with Jersey week. I have done that race twice and LOVE it. The first time, the crowds were pretty low. This year, it was way busier in Epcot than I have ever seen it. Turns out, Jersey week happened to be that week as well and it was bananas. Lines for F&W booths were so long and it was packed shoulder to shoulder around the world showcase. I didn’t go to other parks, but my guess is they were also very crowded. By Sunday/Monday, crowds were more like what I was used to seeing in November.

From what I'm reading, Jersey week typically is the first full week of November and Wine and Dine is the first weekend in November. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case, it would make the most sense to put the half marathon at the end of our trip instead of the beginning. The 2024 dates appear most favorable for that. Although, if I'm waiting for W&D 2024, I might as well wait for Marathon Weekend 2025.

May I ask what year you experienced low crowds?

Princess Weekend itself is always packed. I'm a teacher and we get the entire previous week off for President's Week, so that's the race we always do because it fits within that break. I would think the parks lighten up a bit after that Sunday, but can't say for sure. It Mardis Gras falls during that week, it will have a huge impact on crowds as well.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

From what I'm reading, Jersey week typically is the first full week of November and Wine and Dine is the first weekend in November. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case, it would make the most sense to put the half marathon at the end of our trip instead of the beginning. The 2024 dates appear most favorable for that. Although, if I'm waiting for W&D 2024, I might as well wait for Marathon Weekend 2025.

May I ask what year you experienced low crowds?

I also ran W&D in 2019 and it wasn't too bad. Over the years our family has made several non-race trips in November for food and wine (not around Thanksgiving) and the crowds have been pretty low-moderate. This year was just crazy. If you are used to traveling during popular months like summer or spring break, they probably seemed ok.

I agree with what others have posted and think that marathon or princess weekend are your best best. Some other things to consider:

1. The half is on Saturday during Marathon weekend and Sunday during Princess. How does that line up with your travel plans? A Saturday race (marathon weekend) means that you can easily check out on Sunday and travel home. A Sunday race (princess) means you'll likely want to stay an additional day into Monday, as hotel checkouts are usually 10am and it's hard to get back, shower, and checkout after running the half. Alternatively, if you want to travel down on Saturday, a Sunday race (princess) is perfect, and you can kick off your vacation after the half.

2. Do you travel a lot for the holidays? Peak mileage for Marathon weekend is right around the holidays (Thanksgiving through Christmas), versus for princess peak mileage is jan/feb (post-holidays). If you have a busy holiday season, then it may be easier to balance training for the princess race.

3. Similar to above, but how does the training schedule line up with kiddo's extra cirriculars? Is she in a winter sport, etc.?

4. Themeing for marathon weekend is donald and daisy for the half, and characters on course are from a wide range of intellecutal properties. You could see pixar, disney animation, etc. in terms of characters. For Princess, the characters will be almost exclusively princesses.

Last edited:
I agree with what others have posted and think that marathon or princess weekend are your best best. Some other things to consider:
You posted this just as I've almost decided to aim for Wine & Dine 2023. My daughter and I think that we would prefer that course to the one we've seen for the Marathon and Princess weekends. I think the trick may be going early so we can dodge most of Jersey Week.

1. The half is on Saturday during Marathon weekend and Sunday during Princess. How does that line up with your travel plans? A Saturday race (marathon weekend) means that you can easily check out on Sunday and travel home. A Sunday race (princess) means you'll likely want to stay an additional day into Monday, as hotel checkouts are usually 10am and it's hard to get back, shower, and checkout after running the half. Alternatively, if you want to travel down on Saturday, a Sunday race (princess) is perfect, and you can kick off your vacation after the half.
We can pretty much travel whenever. I've got Thursday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Monday in my mind. No real reasoning behind that...

2. Do you travel a lot for the holidays? Peak mileage for Marathon weekend is right around the holidays (Thanksgiving through Christmas), versus for princess peak mileage is jan/feb (post-holidays). If you have a busy holiday season, then it may be easier to balance training for the princess race.
My longest race distances have been an April 10K and a November half. Knowing that I can train for a fall half is one reason I'm leaning towards the W&D race. Although in all honestly, I completely bombed out on my training plan for this year.

3. Similar to above, but how does the training schedule line up with kiddo's extra cirriculars? Is she in a winter sport, etc.?
My big girl only plays tennis. They practice one night a week year-round, but ramp up to three nights a week after Christmas. Games start in February. My baby girl doesn't have a sport yet. She would like to take dance classes. I know that entails a small production in December and a bigger recital in May.

4. Themeing for marathon weekend is donald and daisy for the half, and characters on course are from a wide range of intellecutal properties. You could see pixar, disney animation, etc. in terms of characters. For Princess, the characters will be almost exclusively princesses.
I love Disney. I'd be perfectly good with pretty much any theme.

You posted this just as I've almost decided to aim for Wine & Dine 2023. My daughter and I think that we would prefer that course to the one we've seen for the Marathon and Princess weekends. I think the trick may be going early so we can dodge most of Jersey Week.

We can pretty much travel whenever. I've got Thursday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Monday in my mind. No real reasoning behind that...

My longest race distances have been an April 10K and a November half. Knowing that I can train for a fall half is one reason I'm leaning towards the W&D race. Although in all honestly, I completely bombed out on my training plan for this year.

My big girl only plays tennis. They practice one night a week year-round, but ramp up to three nights a week after Christmas. Games start in February. My baby girl doesn't have a sport yet. She would like to take dance classes. I know that entails a small production in December and a bigger recital in May.

I love Disney. I'd be perfectly good with pretty much any theme.

WELL. Wine and Dine can certainly have more crowds than Jan/Feb with the food and wine festival but it is hands down my favorite race weekend of all of them!

Last edited:
WELL. Wine and Dine can certainly have more crowds than Jan/Feb with the food and wine festival but it is hands down my favorite race weekend of all of them!
Did you visit the parks before or after the half? I'm thinking the week leading into the races might be less busy than the week after.

Marathon Weekend 2025 may truly be my best bet, but I was hoping to go sooner.

If you have the option I highly recommend doing the parks after the races. Park miles on concrete add up and can impact race day. Plus you have to go to bed so early for the 2 race wake up, it’s hard to see fireworks or do that sort of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter