Help Me Choose!

ekatiel

DIS Veteran
DH will be attending a conference over Christmas at the Grand Floridian. The conference runs Dec 28-30. His work will likely pay for the hotel Dec 27-31. I'd like to extend our stay, and I'm debating 2 options. We are a family of four, and our two boys are 12 and 14, so Disney adults now.

Option 1: Stay at the GF the whole time (we can get the conference hotel rate). With this option, I'd likely make our trip dates 12/25-1/3, to take advantage of cheaper airfare (Flights would be 26K points a piece or about $380 each on SW-- we have enough points for 2 flights, may have to buy one. These are direct flights.). Hotel for 4 nights, plus 8 day conference tickets (no hopper) would put us at $3,000.

Option 2: Do a split stay with free dining at the beginning of the trip. With this option, our dates would have to be 12/23-12/31. We'd stay at Coronado Springs for 4 nights with free dining (I have it on a three day hold right now) and then transfer to the GF for the last 4 nights. I'd upgrade the dining to the regular plan and buy 8 day tickets (hopper is included). That package is $3,790. It's the cheapest free dining I can find, because apparently, I'm late to the party this year, and there's none available at values for our dates. Flights will cost more (29K points a piece or about $430 each on SW-- once again, we may have buy one ticket, but have points for the other 2), and we lose direct flights.

So, for $800 more, we get free dining for 4 nights, but we'd have to pay a bit more for flights and lose direct flights, and of course lose the GF for half the trip. We'd also miss out on NYE at WDW, but won't have to fly in on Christmas day. We are big fans of 'Ohana for dinner, which I know will cost us $200 for that meal alone. We also love character meals like Chef Mickey's, etc, which will end up costing us $200 each also, so I know we could get the value out of the free dining, and get all our special, expensive meals out of the way first. And at this time of year, it would be helpful to do some dining like a CP package or ROL package, which we could do with the dining plan. What are y'all's thoughts? Anything I'm not thinking about? WWYD?

Would you spend 800.00 in 4 days on food? That's 200.00 a day - you do have 2 boys at that age where they start eating a lot all the time. I'd start there - if you think so, then it may be worth the added cost. If you don't think so, then I would stay at the GF for the whole time.

I agree with the PP about checking if the free dining works for you. I think you could easily spend $200/day on food after you think about breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks so the free dining may be worth it.

i agree with the PP and would get the Free Dining... as much as I would love to be a GF for all of my trips. But, with some of those meals and 4 Disney Adults- I would enjoy your holidays- and enjoy your trip. Party on the front end-and then still party at the GF.

I would choose GF for the entire stay — the location is the best esp for the restaurants you mention. With all of the traffic around the holidays you will need to factor in an increase in travel time if staying at Coronado. But either way, have a great trip, sounds like a blast!

I'd totally do the split-- more to enjoy, food, 2 resorts, 2 different pools. Coronado is nice, then the finish at a deluxe- perfect. Get your big meals in on the DP, get your mugs for whole trip, no brainier for me.

I’d stay at the GF the whole time. Not to mention it is absolutely gorgeous at Christmas. The crowds are insane so not having to deal with the traffic or the direct flights would be a deal breaker for me. I also feel like you lose a day with a split stay because you have to pack again...just stressful for me personally. Also NYE you can watch the fireworks from the grand and again not have to deal with the crowds. Either way what an awesome trip!!!

I would stay at the GF the whole time. We aren't fans of split stays, but I especially wouldn't want to change resorts during such a busy time of year (not to mention the flights, those would be a deal breaker for us as well). The GF is beautiful during the holidays and being on the monorail gives you a nice variety of great dining options at the Poly & CR.

Stay at the GF the whole time.

Direct flights. Cheaper flights. You get an extra night. Stay for New Years. Save $800.
It seems like a no brainer to me. :)
Take that extra money and buy whatever food you want for a few days.

Enjoy!

Grand Floridian @ conference rate, having points for free plane tickets for some of your group, non-stop fights......MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Have a wonderful time!

DH will be attending a conference over Christmas at the Grand Floridian. The conference runs Dec 28-30. His work will likely pay for the hotel Dec 27-31. I'd like to extend our stay, and I'm debating 2 options. We are a family of four, and our two boys are 12 and 14, so Disney adults now.

Option 1: Stay at the GF the whole time (we can get the conference hotel rate). With this option, I'd likely make our trip dates 12/25-1/3, to take advantage of cheaper airfare (Flights would be 26K points a piece or about $380 each on SW-- we have enough points for 2 flights, may have to buy one. These are direct flights.). Hotel for 4 nights, plus 8 day conference tickets (no hopper) would put us at $3,000.

Option 2: Do a split stay with free dining at the beginning of the trip. With this option, our dates would have to be 12/23-12/31. We'd stay at Coronado Springs for 4 nights with free dining (I have it on a three day hold right now) and then transfer to the GF for the last 4 nights. I'd upgrade the dining to the regular plan and buy 8 day tickets (hopper is included). That package is $3,790. It's the cheapest free dining I can find, because apparently, I'm late to the party this year, and there's none available at values for our dates. Flights will cost more (29K points a piece or about $430 each on SW-- once again, we may have buy one ticket, but have points for the other 2), and we lose direct flights.

So, for $800 more, we get free dining for 4 nights, but we'd have to pay a bit more for flights and lose direct flights, and of course lose the GF for half the trip. We'd also miss out on NYE at WDW, but won't have to fly in on Christmas day. We are big fans of 'Ohana for dinner, which I know will cost us $200 for that meal alone. We also love character meals like Chef Mickey's, etc, which will end up costing us $200 each also, so I know we could get the value out of the free dining, and get all our special, expensive meals out of the way first. And at this time of year, it would be helpful to do some dining like a CP package or ROL package, which we could do with the dining plan. What are y'all's thoughts? Anything I'm not thinking about? WWYD?
I would do split stay, free dining is worth it and then you also get to stay at more than 1 place.

My "kids" are 2 sons who are athletes 18, & 19 and a daughter 22.
Free dining has never been an appeal to us. We are 5 adults but I have crunched the numbers on the last 5 vacations and it has never been even close to worth it!!!!!

Please do your homework. You may be opposite of my family....but I would hate to see someone get something they thought was worth it.

I would stay at GF for the entire trip. I would not want to book connecting flights during the holidays with possible weather delays nor would I want to be switching resorts (or staying far from the parks) over Christmas week. I can’t emphasize enough how crowded it will be and how congested all forms of WDW transport will be that week. Busing or driving from CSR to anywhere else on property that week will take at least twice as long as any other time of year. Spending $800 for 4 nights of free dining doesn’t sound like a deal to me and is certainly not enough to sacrifice the convenience of GF that week.

I would go with convenience over cost with a holiday trip like this. What is more important to the family? Not traveling on Christmas or being at WDW for new years eve and new years day? To me, I think flying to WDW (especially non-stop) would be a great way to spend Christmas day! I'd also weigh having non-stop flights pretty heavily. We stayed at the Poly a couple of years ago, and LOVED the transportation options! Take a short monorail or boat ride to MK? A slightly longer monorail ride to EPCOT? Priceless!!! With such a minimal cost difference, I would go with your gut and think about what your family will enjoy most!

I think we are going to same conference! You guys going to Pharm and Behavioral Health? those were really nice rates. We are staying Dec 24 - Jan 5, so we can mosey thru the crazy crowds

The deciding factor for me would be direct flights.

But also ... I didn't see anyone mention that CSR is undergoing construction. Not a deal breaker for me, because that's what put it within $$ reach for me this summer, but just something else to throw in the mix.

Just an update. DH really didn't want to fly on Christmas day, so we went with the free dining/split stay option. Just today, All Star Music opened up, saving us $429. So, I feel good about our choice, as we are definitely saving money with the free dining now. We did lose direct flights on the way there, but we still have a direct flight on the way back. I also got almost everything I wanted for dining reservations, so YAY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter