Help me find shows or movies for DD10 to watch.

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
Our DD who is 10 is looking for new shows to watch. She LOVES Series of Unfortunate Events and it is her favorite in both books and series. She also loved High School Musical and Teen Beach Movie. She is not a big animination fan, especially Disney princess stuff. Can anyone give me some ideas of shows for her to watch? She is desperately looking for something new. Or if you have a good book series that we can get on Kindle or something, that would be great too. She is upset because she can't go to the library and gets books as she prefers to read an actual book and not do it on an tablet or computer.

Thanks!

I was 10 the first time I read the Hobbit but I wouldn’t recommend the Lord of the Rings yet. The Little House books are good. So is the Chronicles of Narnia, both the books and movies.

The little house books, the american girl mystery books, and the dear America books are all excellent.

If she likes Disney history and you have Disney plus, I'd recommend the Imagineer Story. It's a series that talks about some of the Disney history and highlights cast members.

I loved baby sitters club and Judy Blume at that age. I know half price has curb side ordering right now.

Our DD who is 10 is looking for new shows to watch. She LOVES Series of Unfortunate Events and it is her favorite in both books and series. She also loved High School Musical and Teen Beach Movie. She is not a big animination fan, especially Disney princess stuff. Can anyone give me some ideas of shows for her to watch? She is desperately looking for something new. Or if you have a good book series that we can get on Kindle or something, that would be great too. She is upset because she can't go to the library and gets books as she prefers to read an actual book and not do it on an tablet or computer.

Thanks!

Shows my kids are enjoying...

- Lego Masters (Hulu or Fox)
- Alton Brown's Good Eats (Food Network or Hulu)
- Supermarket Stakeout (Food Network)
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum (Disney+)
- Horrible Histories (Amazon Prime or Hulu)

None of these have a fantasy or musical bent, but they all scratched the itch for my kids to learn something, but in a pretty funny way. Now, there is some slight adult material that pops up in most of the shows (except AB), but it's so little and almost unnoticeable...

Shows my kids are enjoying...

- Lego Masters (Hulu or Fox)
- Alton Brown's Good Eats (Food Network or Hulu)
- Supermarket Stakeout (Food Network)
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum (Disney+)
- Horrible Histories (Amazon Prime or Hulu)

None of these have a fantasy or musical bent, but they all scratched the itch for my kids to learn something, but in a pretty funny way. Now, there is some slight adult material that pops up in most of the shows (except AB), but it's so little and almost unnoticeable...
Love Lego Masters

My DDs like Harry Potter books and the movies are on Netflix.
Wesley King books
Road Dahl books
Louis Sachar books especially Holes. They made it into a very good kids movie.
Land of Stories series
They have also started watching Modern family and Gilmore girls. Some episodes have content that might be a bit mature but mostly it’s PG.
Descendants movies but that might not be on Netflix as it’s Disney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Both book series and the movies

My DD and I would watch Andi Mack which is a cute show that was on Disney. Another show, it's animation but not "kiddie" is Gravity Falls which was also on Disney. It's a really cool show and I even watch it without the kids sometimes.

Books: she liked Dork Diaries, Judy Blume, and Harry Potter.

My DD is 10 also and sounds like she has similar tastes! She loves Descendants, Teen Beach Movie, High School Musical, Zombies. For tv shows she watched all of Good Luck Charlie and is now making her way through Boy Meets World (I find some of the content a bit mature for her though - I dont' remember that from when I was a kid! LOL) All of these are on Disney+. For books she loves Roald Dahl, and I'm currently reading the Narnia series to her and my DS. She's reading my Babysitter's Club books that I have from when I was a kid. I've also read some of the Harry Potter books to both of my kids (we stopped after book 4). She also has the Little House series that she's going to read next. She also likes Fairy Tale Reformed school a lot and Sisters Grimm!

I would definitely check out Disney+ - I think they have a 30 day free trial period! We have both that and Netflix and my kids almost never watch Netflix anymore!

My DD is 10 also and sounds like she has similar tastes! She loves Descendants, Teen Beach Movie, High School Musical, Zombies. For tv shows she watched all of Good Luck Charlie and is now making her way through Boy Meets World (I find some of the content a bit mature for her though - I dont' remember that from when I was a kid! LOL) All of these are on Disney+. For books she loves Roald Dahl, and I'm currently reading the Narnia series to her and my DS. She's reading my Babysitter's Club books that I have from when I was a kid. I've also read some of the Harry Potter books to both of my kids (we stopped after book 4). She also has the Little House series that she's going to read next. She also likes Fairy Tale Reformed school a lot and Sisters Grimm!

I would definitely check out Disney+ - I think they have a 30 day free trial period! We have both that and Netflix and my kids almost never watch Netflix anymore!
This is amazing - thank you so much. Yes, our kids sound very much alike! She watched the Decendants movies over and over for months!

This is amazing - thank you so much. Yes, our kids sound very much alike! She watched the Decendants movies over and over for months!
You're welcome!! Yes, Descendants is my DD's absolute favorite too! :)

Edited to add - I'm going to suggest Wizards of Waverly Place to her once she's done with Boy Meets World!

Oh this would be awesome - but we don't have Disney plus. :(
I just looked on Youtube and you can also see them on their. I had to scroll down a bit because at first only the trailers come up. There was also another one called The Dreamfinders which I'm going to check out tomorrow.

I have four girls 6-11, and they are into similar content. Fun movies to try during this Covid downtime:
Cheaper By the Dozen 1&2 (my kids LOVE Steve Martin- these never disappoint even after multiple viewings)
Bedtime Stories (Adam Sandler, but definitely a toned down version of him)
Camp Rock
School of Rock
Wonder (book too!)
A Little Princess (1995) and book too
Karate Kid (original)
Back to the Future
The Game Plan
The Journey of Natty Gann (surprising hit with my kids)
Alexander and Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day
Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies
Casper
The Mighty Ducks
Anne of Green Gables (We watched the newer version a few years ago but I am ready to revisit this with my girls)

Books- HP series, Wonder, Raina Telgemeier graphic novels, Positively Izzy
*Secret Garden- a new movie is coming out so it’s a good time to explore this story. I am helping my 11 year old with this one. She finds it slow, but seems engaged if I read it aloud.
I know there are many more books I could recommend. Names are escaping me without seeing the covers!
Enjoy 😊

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!