Help me pick!

Ambehnke

DIS Veteran
On my birthday we will be in Epcot for one of our 2 Epcot days. Our 2nd Epcot day we will be doing MK DAH so we will leave early at 5-6. On our first day should we do Hoop de Doo (never been) for my birthday dinner which would mean not being at Epcot til close either of our Epcot days. OR should we do an Epcot dinner— A Mexico restaurant, Teppan Edo, Chefs, or Rose and Crown probably (all would be new to us) PLUS a Sanaa dinner on our AK day (we are staying at AKL for the first time, have never eaten at the restaurants there and currently only have Boma breakfast booked). We have seen Illuminations many times and it isn’t a must do for us this trip but we do like to get a ride in right at the end of the night with a short wait (Frozen, TT, or Soarin). Other backround is I have a 4 (she’ll turn five on this trip) and 6 year old.

Last edited:
I prefer the resort restaurants over most of the park table service. Have you thought about walking over to Yachtsman Steakhouse or Flying Fish? Illuminations once a trip is a must for us so I would want to see it if possible.

I just spent my birthday at AKL! It was amazing. We ate at Boma for breakfast (our first time there), it was the best breakfast we've had on property, and Sanaa for dinner which was amazing as usual! Jiko is also great (it's been a few years since we've been there though). Enjoy!

I prefer the resort restaurants over most of the park table service. Have you thought about walking over to Yachtsman Steakhouse or Flying Fish? Illuminations once a trip is a must for us so I would want to see it if possible.

I just spent my birthday at AKL! It was amazing. We ate at Boma for breakfast (our first time there), it was the best breakfast we've had on property, and Sanaa for dinner which was amazing as usual! Jiko is also great (it's been a few years since we've been there though). Enjoy!
I didn’t really consider Yachtsman or Flying Fish because currently we have the dining plan (I also have an AP so we could do no dining plan and just use my discounts, haven’t decided yet) and I don’t see the value in a 2 cr meal for the kids. I wanted to do HDD because I thought it would be fun for a birthday meal and I can see the value in 2 credit for the entertainment. (We are doing CRT for my daughter’s birthday this one would be for me ha!) But I am having regrets with booking HDD because it means no park close at Epcot.

So excited to be at AKL for our birthdays! They already upgraded us to savanna view from standard so I am already feeling the magic!

On my birthday we will be in Epcot for one of our 2 Epcot days. Our 2nd Epcot day we will be doing MK DAH so we will leave early at 5-6. Should we do Hoop de Doo (never been) for my birthday dinner which would mean not being at Epcot til close either of our Epcot days. OR should we do an Epcot dinner— A Mexico restaurant, Teppan Edo, Chefs, or Rose and Crown probably (all would be new to us) PLUS a Saana dinner on our AK day (we are staying at AKL for the first time, have never eaten at the restaurants there and currently only have Boma breakfast booked). We have seen Illuminations many times and it isn’t a must do for us this trip but we do like to get a ride in right at the end of the night with a short wait (Frozen, TT, or Soarin). Other backround is I have a 4 (she’ll turn five on this trip) and 6 year old.

Since doing an Epcot night is important to you (me too!) save HDDR for another day and concentrate on a WS restaurant for dinner. I'm not a fan of any of the Mexican restaurants at Disney so will say no more than that. I think Teppan Edo has some great dishes but would suggest Tokyo Dining as the better venue for a celebratory meal with or w/o children; nice surroundings to prep kiddos for a different type of service. I've never eaten at Rose and Crown but it seems like a jovial enough place.

I am almost always in favor of the dining option that causes the least amount of travel and headaches, so I'd pick something in the World Showcase since you'll be in Epcot that day. Also, it is going to be a lot less complicated to get back to the AKL after an Epcot dinner than from HDDR. Even though you've said that Illuminations isn't a big draw for you, it is ending soon and (depending on your dates) this may be your last chance to view it.

Sanaa is a must for us when it fits into our plans. Since you're already staying at AKL, it would be a shame not to take advantage of your resort restaurants. There are many activities before and/or after dinner for adults and kids at both Jambo House and Kidani. We really like the free culinary tour with its samples and interesting info. Activities and dinner could make for a fun evening 'in'.

I am almost always in favor of the dining option that causes the least amount of travel and headaches, so I'd pick something in the World Showcase since you'll be in Epcot that day. Also, it is going to be a lot less complicated to get back to the AKL after an Epcot dinner than from HDDR. Even though you've said that Illuminations isn't a big draw for you, it is ending soon and (depending on your dates) this may be your last chance to view it.

Sanaa is a must for us when it fits into our plans. Since you're already staying at AKL, it would be a shame not to take advantage of your resort restaurants. There are many activities before and/or after dinner for adults and kids at both Jambo House and Kidani. We really like the free culinary tour with its samples and interesting info. Activities and dinner could make for a fun evening 'in'.
This would I think be our last chance to see Illuminations unless we make a spur of the moment summer trip. We like it when we see it, but it just isn’t that important enough that our plans would revolve around it. Wishes was our favorite nighttime show and even that we only made a point to watch in front of the castle once per trip. The rest of the time we just enjoyed it from Dumbo or Astro Obiter haha! Same with HEA.

I think I am leaning toward a Sanaa dinner and a WS dinner to replace those two HDD credits. Hope it doesn’t get axed in the near future because I don’t think it will work out this trip and we haven’t seen it yet.

HDD is awesome. It's a must do for us every trip. It's definitely a great place for birthdays and they even ask who is having a birthday and make a big deal of it as part of the show. Having said that, it's very popular and I don't think it will be going anywhere anytime soon. You could do it on another trip where it fits more easily into your plans.

I'm with another poster above in that I am in favor of doing things that cause the least amount of transportation headaches and things that kill the least amount of time. HDD takes quite a bit of time, I think the show itself is at least 90 minutes and you factor in the time you need to set aside to get there and the time it takes to get back. So I would definitely be in favor of staying at Epcot and eating in the WS for dinner; plenty of options. I would go with the menu/cuisine type that you are most in favor of since it's to celebrate your birthday!

I know it doesn't always get a lot of love but the kids might enjoy San Angel Inn and watching the boats go by. And you can have a margarita!

Other WS options, especially taking into account your kids' ages:
Biergarten (sleeper hit, I am not a huge meat eater which is why I avoided it in the past, but the kids have a great time with the oompah band)
Coral Reef (I know, it gets meh reviews for food, but we had a good experience)
Spice Road Table (maybe have dinner around the time of Illuminations?)
Restaurant Marrakesh (I used to love it; now only like it)

Other WS options, especially taking into account your kids' ages:
Biergarten (sleeper hit, I am not a huge meat eater which is why I avoided it in the past, but the kids have a great time with the oompah band)
Coral Reef (I know, it gets meh reviews for food, but we had a good experience)
Spice Road Table (maybe have dinner around the time of Illuminations?)
Restaurant Marrakesh (I used to love it; now only like it)
Yes we love Biergarten and have done Coral Reef wanting to try something different I did think Restaurant Marrakesh would be fun but hubby vetoed it.

I love love love HDDR so I would want my bday dinner there.

But if you decide on Epcot, we had a great dinner at the Hacienda in Mexico during Illuminations (I made my ADR 1 hr before and got great seats). That could be something special. Or the Biergarten and Teppan Edo are fun for interactive dining.

We adore both Tokyo Dining and La Hacienda and really like Teppan Edo. My DH celebrated a birthday there and they made a big deal of it with a paper chef's hat and a special dessert. Your kids would probably enjoy watching your chef at work making your dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter