Help me understand RCI

becks59

Mouseketeer
My in laws have RCI that almost never gets used. As in, its been used about twice in 20 years! They do love DL and WDW and we want to try to use their RCI points to do a big family reunion (about 30 people including babies) to go to WDW. So a few questions since my in laws don't really understand how to use their RCI.

What is a good condo/resort that would have 2+ bedrooms that is close to WDW?

We were hoping to reserve about 3 units that were 2-3 bedrooms each. My in laws have 158 points to use. would this be enough?

Anything to look out for like hidden fees or anything?

I'm completely clueless to RCI. Any info for a newby to know?

oh last question, are there any RCI close to DL?

There is an exchange fee.
If one wants a WDW DVC resort, one has to wait for DVC points to be deposited into RCI, usually it's SSR (DVC resort at WDW).
I don't think that would be enough points to get even one 2-bedroom, let alone 3 2-bedrooms at WDW.

Have your in-laws provide you with their log-in information for RCI and you can check out what's available. There are usually last minute deals available through RCI for resorts close to WDW.

There is an exchange fee.
If one wants a WDW DVC resort, one has to wait for DVC points to be deposited into RCI, usually it's SSR (DVC resort at WDW).
I don't think that would be enough points to get even one 2-bedroom, let alone 3 2-bedrooms at WDW.

Have your in-laws provide you with their log-in information for RCI and you can check out what's available. There are usually last minute deals available through RCI for resorts close to WDW.

I think they are saying a WDW resort area not actual WDW. Is there places that take RCI that are within rental car range on a daily basis might help them.

I think they are saying a WDW resort area not actual WDW. Is there places that take RCI that are within rental car range on a daily basis might help them.

Yes, there are many RCI resorts near WDW and many are very easy to book. I agree that you should get their RCI login information so that you can look - start the search by entering “Florida - Orlando area” in the box.

Also, you can get some great information from the Timeshare Users Group forums. They have a board specifically for Florida timesharing frequented by very helpful, experienced posters. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/us-florida-timesharing.19/

ETA Forgot to mention that Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Silver Lake are two I’ve stayed in that are very near WDW and have 2 and 3 bedroom units. I’d stay there again.

Last edited:

There are lots of great RCI resorts close to WDW. There are two Sheraton Vistana properties nearby (Resort and Villas), the Hilton Grand Vacation properties(Tuscany, Park Soleil and SeaWorld), perennial DIS favorite Wyndham Bonnet Creek (surrounded by Disney property) and Orange Lake Resort from HIVC near West Gate to name a few of the better ones. Another nice smaller property is Silver Lake resort. Full disclosure, we own both Vistana Resort and Silver Lake, so are partial to both. Of course the Disney resorts also trade in RCI, but they are expensive in points and not very easy to get.

I trade in the Weeks side of RCI so not sure if those are sufficient points for 3 units in RCI's points program, but if they equate in any way to the TPU (trading power units) in the weeks program then it is plenty for most any time of year at a decent quality resort. There are lots of options for resorts in the Disney area, so restrict your search to those that are Gold or Silver crown to ensure some sort of quality.

As @CarolynFH points out, TUG is a really great place to get the lowdown on resorts and reviews from actual timeshare owners.

A couple of things to keep in mind as well. Timeshares are kind of like hotels, but not exactly. Most do not offer daily housekeeping (or offer it as an extra cost option) but there is a mid-week towel change. There aren't always as many goodies in the bathrooms as a hotel. Basics like soap and dish/washer soap in the kitchen yes, but fancy creams probably not.

For the weeks program there will be a fee to book the unit, a guest certificate fee if the member is not the person occupying the unit, and if you are not staying a full week, there may be an additional cleaning fee. The fee will be disclosed in the listing on RCI. Note also that RCI members are not allowed to "sell or rent" their points they can only be gifted, so if you are reimbursing the in-laws for the actual points, keep it on the low down. Just look at it as they gifted you the points and you gifted them back a piece of paper with a number written on it; after all gifts are generally exchanged, right?

RCI can be a pain online unless you have used the system. I do it online but my mother would only do it by calling and speaking to someone. You do need your parents RCI account number. And, the dates on the points on the resorts do run out. I save them by paying a fee to have the almost expired ones rolled into a new point bank that is good for two years. If you have the account number and have a registered on RCI online, you can check your points and dates online. The absolute best place that we have found is Silver Lakes on Black Rock Road. It is 2 minutes away from the entrance to Animal Kingdom Lodge. They have two different listings but they all use the same central building and pool. The units, especially in the older section are huge. They have a beautiful large pool, show movies every night, and a large list of activities on property. You do have to have a car though. They do not really provide shuttle service. I stayed in a 1,2, and 3 bedroom units there. You do have enough points for this. We stayed at Highpoint, we is close by, but don't advise you stay there. The sound proofing is very bad. When we were in bed, we could hear the people snoring through the wall in the unit next to us. Our second choice is Vacation Villas. It is on rt 192 right off of rt 4 and only a short ride to the parks. It is huge and they usually have units available. There are multiple pools. These are high rise buildings, but the unit are quite nice. I think you will enjoy either one. IF you can get online be sure to read the reviews, they will tell you a great deal about the place that is not listed in the official listings for each place. Good luck

Another really nice option to check out is Reunion Resort which is 10-15 miles south of AK. There is a back entrance that is pretty easy. It is a nice upscale resort that often has 2BR units available. I only have access to weeks side and find this a fairly easy trade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!