Help! Moving to FL DMV Logistics

Paul Rodgers

Mouseketeer
Good Morning!
I'm moving to Fl for a job at Disney at the end of this month. I'll be renting a room with utilities included and I'm a bit concerned about how to get my license. Specifically, on providing two forms of proof of residence being that I won't have any utility bills in my name. I need to have a license before I can register my car. The options that I have for proving my residence that are listed are:
  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;
  • Florida voter registration card;
  • Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at www.GoRenew.com);
  • Utility bill;
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days prior to the application;
  • Automobile payment booklet;
  • Selective service card;
  • Medical or health card with address listed;
  • Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill;
  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.;
  • W-2 form or 1099 form;
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status;
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;
  • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings or investment account statements;
  • Mail from federal, state, county or city government agencies; or
  • FDLE registration form completed by local sheriff’s department.
I can use my Progressive Auto insurance as proof of insurance first. Any other ideas of how to prove my residence to get a license?

Good Morning!
I'm moving to Fl for a job at Disney at the end of this month. I'll be renting a room with utilities included and I'm a bit concerned about how to get my license. Specifically, on providing two forms of proof of residence being that I won't have any utility bills in my name. I need to have a license before I can register my car. The options that I have for proving my residence that are listed are:
  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;
  • Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at www.GoRenew.com);
  • Utility bill;
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days prior to the application;
  • W-2 form or 1099 form;
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;
  • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings or investment account statements;
I can use my Progressive Auto insurance as proof of insurance first. Any other ideas of how to prove my residence to get a license?
If you're renting a room, won't you have a rental/lease agreement (listed in line one).
Won't you be getting SOME kind of bank account?

I don't think you have to get your license or register your car on Day 1. So you have time to get some of these.

My son just became a resident of the state of MI this summer, just turned 18 and is living with my sister, so his options were limited.

He used his first paycheck stub with the MI address, and changed the address of his HS checking account (also on the Fl list) to his new MI address and used the newest bank statement.

Easy.

If you are male, update the address on your Selective Service registration, and request to have it mailed to the new address. My DS used that document and his lease to support a FL driving license application.

Good Morning!
  • Utility bill;
  • W-2 form or 1099 form;

You should have a written lease or rental agreement from the landlord (I wouldn't live somewhere without one). A paystub should be acceptable if a w2 or 1099 is acceptable. A cellphone bill probably counts as a utility bill.

It is my understanding that you have ONE knocked out already, the auto insurance.

The bank thing can be a "catch 22".... often times you have to have the drivers license to get the bank account (with the new address). It really depends on the institution, but some are real sticklers. That is if you are setting up a new account... if you already have an account and you change the address to your new one, it will PROBABLY be simple, they will likely change your address to your new one, really depends on the institution.

If you have renters insurance on your room, something from that insurance company should be sufficient. A credit card bill might also work in counting in the category of a utility bill. A lot of times it depends on the branch you go to, and the particular representative you see. I cannot speak for FL specifically, but all the states I have lived in have had similar rules. Some states are more lax than others though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter