HELP -- My husband has seen enough Disney.

tiggerjan

Mouseketeer
What can he do outside of the parks? Are there any day trips worth doing...Universal, Kennedy Space Center, etc?

I love Islands of Adventure and Universal. I understand that Kenndy Space is an excellent day trip, sometimes there are special "breakfasts with an astronaut". I've never attended one, though.

Busch Gardens supposedly has some awesome animals and thrill rides.

I can never tear myself away from WDW long enough to visit anything else, anymore. Mostly because I travel solo and don't rent a car, so I don't really know all that much about things outside WDW.

I'll bet there are some people on this board that can tell you more than I can.

Katholyn

What are your husband's interests? Does he like sports, golf, eating out, beaches, shopping, nightlife?

The Orlando area is extremely diverse and includes MUCH more than Disney. I go four times a year and I've been to Disney once in the last 7 trips!

Check out this site for alternatives to theme parks. http://www.orlandoinfo.com/

But come back here and tell us what you find out tiggerjan :teeth:

Originally posted by tiggerjan
What can he do outside of the parks? Are there any day trips worth doing...Universal, Kennedy Space Center, etc?

Well, the last time I visited was in 1987-as my sig. says, but I do remember <font color=red><b>loving</b></font> the Kennedy Space Center. I also remember losing my camara on a tour KSC tour bus as well, but I digress as I usually do ;)

If you are a thrill ride fan like myself then go to Busch Gardens, from the tv specials that I've seen and from what I read they have some awesome thrillers that I'd love to ride!

Of course, Tampa is not too far away, so depending on the season, you could catch a Bucs football game.

We found out about this from someone at my DH's work.

OLD FASHION AIRBOAT RIDES located in Christmas, FL (about 45 east of Orlando ... on the way to Cocoa Beach.

You can get all the info from their website (even a coupon); however, it is a regular-size airboat ride on the St. John's River. We saw hundreds of aligators in their natural habitat. Also eagles, etc.

This was the highlight of our trip when we went back in 2000 ... so much so that we booked again in 2001. We had "Captain John" (the owner) both times and simply loved it!!! (Our group is 2 teens and us)

Very exciting ... guarantee he'll like it!!

I just thought of something else but it's at WDW, although not in one of the parks. Do you think your husband would enjoy the Richard Petty driving experience? You can find some info about that <b>HERE</b>

I usually visit WDW solo, but when my DH heads south, he likes to hang out at the resort: reading, chit-chatting with CM's, napping, enjoying the pool bar ;) , and just relaxing doing nothing. I'll return from the parks all pooped out--and there he'll be--all refreshed and rested. (During one trip, he spent lots of time with a CM and learned all about the different types of palm trees. He then took me on a nature walk and passed all this information on to me.)

This works for us! :D

He can do almost anything -- Golf, tennis, fishing, Kennedy Space Center, Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, reading, swimming, surfing, scuba diving, horseback riding, race car driving, hot air balloon rides, parasailing, beach, etc. There is plenty to do that should meet any interests (except for gambling). There are also backstage tours that are very educational. Some are as short as two hours and they go all the way up to a full day.

How far is Kennedy Space Center from WDW? Thanks!

We go three or four times a year so we don't always do the parks now.
For people going in Dec/Jan Blue Springs to see the manatee are a must. It is at Orange City just north of Orlando on the I4 and you get to see about 70 manatee in the springs as they leave the St John River for the winter. You can take a picnic-and it's ridiculously cheap-about $10 a car full!

Mt Dora-we love it so much that our daughter chose it to get married last October. It's up the 27 past Clermont and then off on the 19 to Tavares until you see signs to Mt Dora-park your car and just stroll around this lovely little town. There's so much to see and do. The steam train, the lake, the galleries, curios and antique shops restaurants and Icelandic pub and the people are so friendly we are on first name terms with many of the shopkeepers.
It's beautiful here at Xmas-they light the trees and it looks amazing.

If anyone would like to see our wedding pictures at the fabulous Darst Victorian Manor then please let me know.

Then there's Winter Park off Fairbanks ave with its Tiffany Glass museum, squirrel park, antiques, galleries, shops and the fabulous Briar Patch restaurant with pieces of carrot cake you can sit on. Also do the lake tour and ogle the mansions built along the lakeside-these mansions cost serious money.

Then if you are still yearning for more-there's the Boggy Creek airboat rides at East Lake (toho) fish camp. There's a nice little restaurant that does superb meals and very reasonable prices. You can fish, ride or just chill. Great at evening to see all the birds flying over the swamp and lake at night!

(I'm making myself feel homesick now_

Then there's Weekee Watchee Springs-up the 27 and along the 50 to Clermont. Keep on going and on the left near some traffic lights you'll see it. The mermaid show and the jungle cruise are a must. Also watch the pelicans and the familys of otters. A fab place. From our house n Lindfields (end of 192) it takes about 1 hr and 40mins

Alison

I think Universal or IOA is a WONDERFUL idea. :jester: Citywalk is just phenonmenal! If you're in before 7pm I believe you don't have to pay the "cover charge" for going in. There's some wonderful eating and great shopping to do in Citywalk...go check it out! :p :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter