HELP! Need Advice

cardramblues

Mouseketeer
My DW and I are taking my In Laws and our 2 toddlers to Disney June 12-19. My Mother in law has a disease that prevents her from walking very long without having problems (she won't give us the details and refuses a wheelchair and has to rest frequently). She has a handicap placquard that I think she will take on the trip (If we can talk her into it). We are renting a car and staying at POP Century.

What area of PCR to you reccommend for kiddy pool and accessible parking?

Do you think Disney Buses or rental car is the best way to get to the parks?

I want to make this trip enjoyable for her without her really even knowing it and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The resort busses drop off directly in front of each park entrance, as opposed to having to walk to/from medical parking at each park. I would just take the busses.
And she really should consider a wheelchair. Most of the lines are mainstream/wheelchair accessible, and even if they weren't, the amount of walking just to get around each of the parks is phenomenal. I've been to the parks with relatives who were "too proud" to use a wheelchair but then complained about being tired or sore... guess who got to stay at the hotel... (joke)
Seriously, though, there's no shame in renting a wheelchair if you need it, and it will make getting around much easier.

First of all, tell her it will make the trip miserable for EVERYONE, including herself if she tries to walk. For example, World Showcase in Epcot is over one mile.

However, instead of a wheelchair suggest that she rent an ECV from an off-site company. This will give her the "freedom" she feels she needs and will not have in a wheelchair.

As a matter of fact, with an ECV she can run errands for people and also act as a "sherpa" in carrying items.

Some information for off-site rentals are:

Walker Mobility:
888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
407-856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Randy'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
http://randysmobility.com
407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
800-747-0246

ScootAround
http://www.scootaround.com
Toll-free, US and Canada 888-441-7575

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You might go to a Wal-Mart or large grocery store and have her practice with one of their ECVs. Just realize the rentals are smaller, quicker, and easier to maneuver than the store ones.

Since you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together. Just be sure you rent at least a full-size, four-door sedan with a large trunk (Buick Century or larger).

Definitely bring the HP placard. The medical/disable parking areas are strictly enforced, and it is a $250 ticket down here.

Normally the best accessibility, especially with an ECV or wheelchair, is to use the car for everything EXCEPT the Magic Kingdom, buses are best for that.

If you want more information, or how to disassemble or assemble an ECV just ask.

if parking is still as tight at pop century as it was in january, the disability parking tag won't help too much at the resort--i never found a vacant hc spot at the end of the day and often had to walk very far. it will be better if she's dropped off by the driver who can then go park.

of course, the hang tag was useful at the parks. i chose to rent a car and drive to the parks and used my tag to park close enough to use the ecv to get to the park.

we were in a 60's building and it was very close to the main building. didn't get to swim, so couldn't comment on that.

have fun!

dj

Just a little more about the buses:
The MK bus drops you off right by the turnstiles to get into the park. If you drive, you have to walk from the handicapped parking area to the TTC, then take a monorail or boat to get to the turnstiles.
The buses at Epcot are a little farther walk than the handicapped parking. The buses at AK and the Studio put you a little closer than the handicapped parking (but not much).

On our tip this March, my FIL finally rented an ecv for the first time on the last day of our trip. He's been talking about it for 10 years, but finally did it. It made such a difference in all of our enjoyment that day.

Thanks Sue and all. I think I will definately drive to each of the parks with the exception of MK (this will also make it easier to leave for an afternoon break with the kids).

Anyone have any suggestions on room location at POP Century. For some reason I can't find the resort map anywhere (I know its out there). Any help??

I hope your MIL realizes there are many ways to make everyone's trip enjoyable. She should not suffer because she does not want to worry/bother everyone else. it took me a lot of reading on this bb before I felt comfortable with the idea of a handicapped parking permit, renting an ECV at WDW, etc.

I would definitely rent an ECV from an off site supplier. Read other threads here about ECVs & you'll come across various posts.

I started using an ECV at WDW by renting one at the parks. I rented from Disney for about four trips. However, renting from Disney presented a few "issues:"

*no guarantee the park will have an ECV regardless of time of day (I was at EPCOT Mother's Day 2002 a half hour after the park opened & no ECVs available at either entrance);

*if you want to park hop there is no guarantee of an ECV at the second park;

*four wheels on a Disney ECV vs. three on off site ECV (at least the ones I have rented from Walker); three wheels gave me a better turning radius;

*battery holds up a whole lot better on the rented ECV vs. the Disney ECV; I can tell you where in each of the four parks where my Disney ECV "died;"

*if you rent an ECV you will have it every where you want it - the parks, Downtown Disney, other resorts, etc.

The last several trips I have rented from Walker Mobility & had a very good experience. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc.

As for using an ECV, I hope your MIL will consider it if possible. She has a need, & the ECV will make everyone's trip more enjoyable.

I have not yet visited Pop Century, so I cannot offer any suggestions witht he specific resort. We usually stay at OKW, & I have used the busses to the parks. I was hesitant initially, but the bus drivers were so friendly & very helpful.

i googled "pop century map" for you and this link came up.

http://www.*************.com/pop_century_map.htm

after looking at it i realize i was mistaken--we were in the 50's building that's closest to the parking lot and the main building. it appears there's a pool right behind it, but don't know if it's a kiddie pool.

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter