Help Planning a Trip to WDW

MommyMeNDisney

DIS Veteran
Ok, I JUST came up with the bright idea to see if I can take DS (1) to WDW during our Christmas time together this year. I can use some help/expertise...

Since it's short notice and I'm still paying for our 2016 cruise, I want to make this as affordable as possible. I'm thinking of:

1) Driving to save my points for our Alaska cruise flights. I also want to drive over to Daytona Beach, so we can spend a day at the beach. DS loved Castaway Cay! :)

2) Not staying at a Disney property, but renting a condo.

3) Staying with my friend Fri-Sun. Then, staying in a condo Mon-Fri (checking out Christmas Day and traveling back home.

4) I just looked up park tickets on Disney's site. One day at MK is $105 for me. I didn't see a price for under 3 y/o. Does that mean DS is free? Is this the cheapest/most economical way to buy tickets to the park?

5) I'm thinking MK and maybe AK as parks to visit for DS's age. Can we do them in a day each or do we need two days for each park?

6) I'm not going to worry about dining plans. I think DS is too young to care. If your experience is different with a one year old, please tell me, so I can reconsider whether or not it's "worth it" for him at this age.

Ok, what else do I need to consider?

My daughter doesn't remember any trip that young and hasn't for a long time. My recommendation is do a little that they might notice but the trip is going to be more of a memory for you and pictures for them.

Yes, under 3 are free! That's what made me pull the trigger on our first trip. LOL! I'd never been, so it was kind of a tester, see if I like it without paying for 2 people. LOL! My daughter was 3 months fom 3 the first time she went. She remembers a little now, but I'm sure she'll forget. Like Accident said, it's a memory for you. She mostly remembers putting coins in the fountain at Port Orleans French Quarter with her Grandma. :)

He might like Disney Jr at Hollywood Studios. My daughter liked it. I wasn't a fan of that park though.

I think some people get tickets through Undercover Tourist, but someone with more experience will chime in soon. I've only been once so I'm limited.

Renting a condo is a good idea. Some of the less expensive ones rent only Saturday to Saturday and since you're dealing with Christmas week, what you find will be fairly expensive.

You are correct that one day is about $105, but it sounds like you're there at least 3 or 4 days, which will be considerably less expensive than $100/day. I'd plan at least 2 days at MK, 1 at AK. My kids even liked Epcot when very young.

Since you're staying offsite, you really can not worry about a dining plan. It is available only to onsite guests.

Yes, under 3 are free! That's what made me pull the trigger on our first trip. LOL! I'd never been, so it was kind of a tester, see if I like it without paying for 2 people. LOL! My daughter was 3 months fom 3 the first time she went. She remembers a little now, but I'm sure she'll forget. Like Accident said, it's a memory for you. She mostly remembers putting coins in the fountain at Port Orleans French Quarter with her Grandma. :)

He might like Disney Jr at Hollywood Studios. My daughter liked it. I wasn't a fan of that park though.

I think some people get tickets through Undercover Tourist, but someone with more experience will chime in soon. I've only been once so I'm limited.

Oh that's great! Free under 3! This can be a "tester" for us. When you took your DD, did you go to MK for one day or did you do it in more than one day?

Thanks for the Disney, Jr. and tickets recommendations. :)

Renting a condo is a good idea. Some of the less expensive ones rent only Saturday to Saturday and since you're dealing with Christmas week, what you find will be fairly expensive.

You are correct that one day is about $105, but it sounds like you're there at least 3 or 4 days, which will be considerably less expensive than $100/day. I'd plan at least 2 days at MK, 1 at AK. My kids even liked Epcot when very young.

Since you're staying offsite, you really can not worry about a dining plan. It is available only to onsite guests.

Thank you!!! Yes, I've been pricing some vacation rental homes. I'm getting about $800 for Mon-Fri. Right now, I'm reading reviews on trip advisor.

Thank you for the 2 day MK park recommendation. That sounds good, so he's not overwhelmed. I'm thinking AK will be a lot more relaxed. Thank you for the Epcot recommendation as well. It's $305 for 4 day park tickets. However, it's $315 for 5 day park tickets. So, maybe I'll get the 5 park days and spend 2 days at MK, 1 day at AK, 1 day at Epcot and 1 day at Hollywood Studios to do Disney, Jr. Maybe we'll go a couple days earlier and spread those park days out, so it's not so much packed into a few days. Hmmmm

Thank you everyone for the great recommendations! Keep them coming! You guys ROCK! I'm so excited! I get to take my baby to WDW for the first time, this year instead of waiting until next Fall!

Also, I just realized it will most likely be too cold in central Florida to go to the beach. So, scratch that idea. Lol

I wish I had taken my daughter when she was younger - we only started going just before she turned 6yo. The thing is, I would remember it even if she didn't, and I would LOVE to have pictures of her in front of the castle when she was smaller...so we could see her "growing up" in WDW.

Anyway, I vote for AK and MK at your son's age...you both will have a blast! Also, don't forget to visit a resort or two...you don't have to be staying on property to enjoy the resorts (obviously cannot use the pools but still lots to explore!).

Oh ok, great. I will do 2 days at MK. What other parks did you visit besides MK and Hollywood Studios?

Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. This time we're skipping HS and AK since it's a short trip. She loved the dino area at AK, especially the dino dig. (little pebbles are the "dirt" so might not be good for your little one.) EPCOT she liked seeing the princesses. She even had a Snow White outfit to see her in. LOL!

Last edited:
I wish I had taken my daughter when she was younger - we only started going just before she turned 6yo. The thing is, I would remember it even if she didn't, and I would LOVE to have pictures of her in front of the castle when she was smaller...so we could see her "growing up" in WDW.

Anyway, I vote for AK and MK at your son's age...you both will have a blast! Also, don't forget to visit a resort or two...you don't have to be staying on property to enjoy the resorts (obviously cannot use the pools but still lots to explore!).

Awww, thank you! Yeah, I definitely think he will enjoy AK! We read books about animals and their sounds. He gets so excited when he sees an animal we've read about. He points and smiles. It's so stinking cute! I also need to see what kind of "rides" I want to do with him at MK. It's a Small World for sure! Not sure if he's tall enough for the teacups and Dumbo. Honestly, I'm nervous about those anyway. I used to LOVE roller coasters. Especially the ones that go upside down. However, a few years ago, I took my niece to a local amusement park and rode a spinning spider ride. Oh man, that was not pleasant! It was as if I'd developed vertigo as I got older. So, I hope I can handle these spinning rides with DS...especially since we will be traveling alone. :)

Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. She loved the dino area at AK, especially the dino dig. (little pebbles are the "dirt" so might not be good for your little one.) EPCOT she liked seeing the princesses. She even had a Snow White outfit to see her in. LOL!

Oh that sounds great! I bet she looked super cute in her Snow White outfit! What a great memory. :)

I'm excited to go to Epcot! I've only been once and that was over 30 years ago. I remember it being fun and educational. The only "ride" I remember is inside that huge "golf ball". Lol So, I'm looking forward to seeing that with DS.

Oh that sounds great! I bet she looked super cute in her Snow White outfit! What a great memory. :)

I'm excited to go to Epcot! I've only been once and that was over 30 years ago. I remember it being fun and educational. The only "ride" I remember is inside that huge "golf ball". Lol So, I'm looking forward to seeing that with DS.

I know, I love EPCOT! We're going during the Food and Wine Festival this year and I am SO excited to try to get her to try different foods...that aren't sweet! LOL!

I just read a blog where the parents took their one year old to MK. The baby rode Dumbo, the teacups, it's a small world, the Winnie the Pooh ride, Peter Pan ride, the carousel, the jungle cruise, etc. I'm so excited to see there are several rides DS can enjoy at a year old! It also makes me think the Dumbo and teacup rides must not be that bad (fast), if their one year old rode them. :)

I'm excited to see toon town with DS too! I think I still have some pictures of me in front of some of the houses in toon town during my annual high school Christmas trips to MK. I remember wearing gloves and boots in those pictures. I'm going to try to recreate those pics with DS! Oh boy, I'm excited! LOL

...Also, I just realized it will most likely be too cold in central Florida to go to the beach. So, scratch that idea. Lol

Well, you don't have to completely rule it out, but don't count on it either. December weather can be all over the place, and you could easily have a beach worthy day. Remember, when you're at Disney, you're not that much farther from the west coast of Florida than the east. You could go to a gulf beach (Clearwater, Tampa/St. Pete area, etc.). The water may well be warmer in the gulf than the ocean...

Well, you don't have to completely rule it out, but don't count on it either. December weather can be all over the place, and you could easily have a beach worthy day. Remember, when you're at Disney, you're not that much farther from the west coast of Florida than the east. You could go to a gulf beach (Clearwater, Tampa/St. Pete area, etc.). The water may well be warmer in the gulf than the ocean...

Thank you for the info regarding the differences in water temperature. I did not know that. :)

Thank you for the info regarding the differences in water temperature. I did not know that. :)

I don't want to mislead you...the water isn't going to be very warm...probably around 70 tops, and that's if its running warm overall. I would look a day or two before you go at a weather site to see what's up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter