Help Planning a Trip to WDW

Ok everyone, I need your recommendations...

I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced condo to rent with good reviews. The reviews complain of roaches, dirty condos, outdated furniture and appliances, uncomfortable beds, etc. So, I tried looking at some condos that are a little more expensive; however, they have horrible reviews too. If I go up any higher, I may as well stay on a Disney property. I need to have clean floors for DS to crawl on and just a clean place overall for both of us. I looked at the Dolphin and Swan (no kitchen), they were $700 & $780 respectively, not including taxes and fees. Are those considered Disney property hotels with shuttle service to the parks?

I'd really rather have a nice condo and save some money; so, if anyone can recommend a really nice vacation rental with reasonable rates, that would be great.

Did you look at Sheraton Vistana Resort. It can be very reasonable especially if you use Red Week. ( it is reasonably priced on Orbitz too)

Did you look at Sheraton Vistana Resort. It can be very reasonable especially if you use Red Week. ( it is reasonably priced on Orbitz too)

Yes, it's a nice place. It's $169/night on orbitz. I've never heard of red week. All-star Movies is $170/night and Pop is $178/night.

I just found a house to rent for $250 cheaper than the above rates. I've checked the reviews on a few sites for them. The reviews are good for them. I just need to make sure there aren't any hidden fees. If not, I think I will keep that reservation.

Thank you so much for responding and for the recommendation. :)

I just read a blog where the parents took their one year old to MK. The baby rode Dumbo, the teacups, it's a small world, the Winnie the Pooh ride, Peter Pan ride, the carousel, the jungle cruise, etc. I'm so excited to see there are several rides DS can enjoy at a year old! It also makes me think the Dumbo and teacup rides must not be that bad (fast), if their one year old rode them. :)

I'm excited to see toon town with DS too! I think I still have some pictures of me in front of some of the houses in toon town during my annual high school Christmas trips to MK. I remember wearing gloves and boots in those pictures. I'm going to try to recreate those pics with DS! Oh boy, I'm excited! LOL

LOL, I wouldn't take a 1yo on the teacups...but I'm not a huge fan anyway. He will probably love the other rides mentioned...and the train too! Excited for you both!! :)

LOL, I wouldn't take a 1yo on the teacups...but I'm not a huge fan anyway. He will probably love the other rides mentioned...and the train too! Excited for you both!! :)

That was my initial thought too. I'm still thinking the Dumbo ride might be too much for him, but we'll see when we get there. :)

Thanks. Every time DS looks at Mickey Mouse around the house and smiles, I know I'm doing the right thing by taking him this year. I can't wait for him to see Mickey again! :)

Are you planning to go right around Christmas? If so, be warned that is the very busiest time of the year at Disney. Expect huge crowds and long lines everywhere (including at counter service restaurants, where you plan to eat). The Magic Kingdom and occassionally other parks will occasinally close to capacity between Christmas and New Year's. I'd be wary of all that if bringing a toddler by myself.

The first time I took my son to Disney, he was five (and mildly autistic), and we had a lovely time. But we did it in late January, the off-season, when Disney resorts are cheaper and the parks are not too crowded. As a single mom taking a toddler on a tight budget, I'd feel more comfortable staying at Disney to make full use of their free transportation (including to and from the airport). It made a difference for us that our check-in bags were managed by Disney, so I could just focus on my little boy.

Are you planning to go right around Christmas? If so, be warned that is the very busiest time of the year at Disney. Expect huge crowds and long lines everywhere (including at counter service restaurants, where you plan to eat). The Magic Kingdom and occassionally other parks will occasinally close to capacity between Christmas and New Year's. I'd be wary of all that if bringing a toddler by myself.

The first time I took my son to Disney, he was five (and mildly autistic), and we had a lovely time. But we did it in late January, the off-season, when Disney resorts are cheaper and the parks are not too crowded. As a single mom taking a toddler on a tight budget, I'd feel more comfortable staying at Disney to make full use of their free transportation (including to and from the airport). It made a difference for us that our check-in bags were managed by Disney, so I could just focus on my little boy.

December 21-25, 2015. I'm aware that it will most likely be crowded; however, I selected this time, because this is the most time I have with DS consecutively. I have to work around the outlined visitation schedule he has with his dad. I'm planning to get to Orlando the weekend prior, to spend a few days with a friend. So, I may visit one of the parks then, to not have the five parks days packed into Monday-Friday.

The on property resorts we can afford right now, only has food court and pizza delivery options. That won't work for DS. I need the flexibility of him being able to eat when he's hungry (not when the restaurants are open, serving meals) and to eat something more than just "food court" meals. So, staying in a place with a kitchen will work better for us. That way, he can wake up and eat on his own schedule and not get antsy at a restaurant for dinner, after a day at the parks.

We will be driving to Orlando, so no airport this time...thank goodness.

Right now, I have a house with a garage reserved. I think that will be best, because I can pull into the garage and take our stuff out at my leisure. The place is a 10 minute drive to WDW. Parking is $17/day, but with the money I'm saving staying offsite, it will still be cheaper with the daily parking at the parks included. DS is pretty good regarding not having meltdowns now; however, with toddlers, they're inevitable. So, having our own car and being able to get to the parks and leave when we want, will help manage those meltdowns. I read someone saying they had to wait 45 minutes for a Disney bus at a value hotel a few times during their stay. It will probably be worse at a value hotel during Christmas. That will not work with a toddler. So, I definitely think driving to the parks will be better for DS and me.

I'm considering all the possible roadblocks to traveling alone with DS to WDW and trying my best to manage around them with realistic expectations and smart planning. :)

Ok, I JUST came up with the bright idea to see if I can take DS (1) to WDW during our Christmas time together this year. I can use some help/expertise...

Since it's short notice and I'm still paying for our 2016 cruise, I want to make this as affordable as possible. I'm thinking of:

1) Driving to save my points for our Alaska cruise flights. I also want to drive over to Daytona Beach, so we can spend a day at the beach. DS loved Castaway Cay! :)

2) Not staying at a Disney property, but renting a condo.

3) Staying with my friend Fri-Sun. Then, staying in a condo Mon-Fri (checking out Christmas Day and traveling back home.

4) I just looked up park tickets on Disney's site. One day at MK is $105 for me. I didn't see a price for under 3 y/o. Does that mean DS is free? Is this the cheapest/most economical way to buy tickets to the park?

5) I'm thinking MK and maybe AK as parks to visit for DS's age. Can we do them in a day each or do we need two days for each park?

6) I'm not going to worry about dining plans. I think DS is too young to care. If your experience is different with a one year old, please tell me, so I can reconsider whether or not it's "worth it" for him at this age.

Ok, what else do I need to consider?

We went to Disney with our 1 year old last year. Honestly, it was fun to watch her, so the experience was more for us than her. Since she doesn't cost to get in, it was way worth it. We did do dining plans, however. That too was for us, so you are right, it isn't necessary. I will say it did make it easier to stay on property, because when she was done, we could leave. I would say take advantage of the nursing centers, even if you don't nurse. Pack some snacks and make sure you know where the cool areas/rides are. She loved buzz lightyear, little mermaid, and stuff like that. Kids under 3 are free. so go as many times as you can before then:P overall, it is so worth it. They may not remember it, but you will. Animal Kingdom
- Trisaratop Spin (SP?)
- Meet Mickey and Minnie
- Lion King Show
Magic Kingdom
-Dumbo
-Flying Carpets
-Buzz
-People Mover
-Parade (get a good seat to relax early, because you will not want to be holding him the whole time)

We also did MNSSHP when we were there, and I would say if your doing the XMas party, that isn't worth it at this age. Too little for the money.
I would also say to split up your days. You will feel so less stressed.
Hope this helps!

We went to Disney with our 1 year old last year. Honestly, it was fun to watch her, so the experience was more for us than her. Since she doesn't cost to get in, it was way worth it. We did do dining plans, however. That too was for us, so you are right, it isn't necessary. I will say it did make it easier to stay on property, because when she was done, we could leave. I would say take advantage of the nursing centers, even if you don't nurse. Pack some snacks and make sure you know where the cool areas/rides are. She loved buzz lightyear, little mermaid, and stuff like that. Kids under 3 are free. so go as many times as you can before then:P overall, it is so worth it. They may not remember it, but you will. Animal Kingdom
- Trisaratop Spin (SP?)
- Meet Mickey and Minnie
- Lion King Show
Magic Kingdom
-Dumbo
-Flying Carpets
-Buzz
-People Mover
-Parade (get a good seat to relax early, because you will not want to be holding him the whole time)

We also did MNSSHP when we were there, and I would say if your doing the XMas party, that isn't worth it at this age. Too little for the money.
I would also say to split up your days. You will feel so less stressed.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing your experience. How did your DD do on Dumbo? Did you think it was too fast/went up and down too much for her? What about the teacups, too fast, right?

Are there chairs on the parade route? Yes, I plan to go as much as I can while he's free. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. How did your DD do on Dumbo? Did you think it was too fast/went up and down too much for her? What about the teacups, too fast, right?

Are there chairs on the parade route? Yes, I plan to go as much as I can while he's free. :)
She did great! and I didn't do the tea cups with her but I have read about other kids doing it around the same age and they are fine. You just wouldn't spin your cup really cause the ride it self spins. I also read that you can get a good view from sitting int he rocking chairs in the building when you first walk in. Can't think of what it is called! Hope this helps!

She did great! and I didn't do the tea cups with her but I have read about other kids doing it around the same age and they are fine. You just wouldn't spin your cup really cause the ride it self spins. I also read that you can get a good view from sitting int he rocking chairs in the building when you first walk in. Can't think of what it is called! Hope this helps!

That helps a lot! Thank you. :)

She loves dumbo! We couldn't get her off haha. And this year, her being two, I was planning on trying the tea cups but trying not to spin them myself since they already spin.. we will see. I heard there are some rocking chairs somewhere. I need to find out where so I can snatch them haha. If I do, I will let you know!

She loves dumbo! We couldn't get her off haha. And this year, her being two, I was planning on trying the tea cups but trying not to spin them myself since they already spin.. we will see. I heard there are some rocking chairs somewhere. I need to find out where so I can snatch them haha. If I do, I will let you know!

Aww, too cute. I'm looking forward to riding dumbo with DS. If we ride the teacups, I definitely won't spin it. This mommy is not into making myself dizzy. Lol

Yes, please let me know about the rocking chairs. When are you going?

Aww, too cute. I'm looking forward to riding dumbo with DS. If we ride the teacups, I definitely won't spin it. This mommy is not into making myself dizzy. Lol

Yes, please let me know about the rocking chairs. When are you going?

We will be going September 19th - 28th! I did some research and people are saying there are chairs at the Walt Disney World Railroad station at the Town Square end of Main Street. They say to stake out a spot 30-45 minutes before the event begins!

We will be going September 19th - 28th! I did some research and people are saying there are chairs at the Walt Disney World Railroad station at the Town Square end of Main Street. They say to stake out a spot 30-45 minutes before the event begins!

Sounds good, thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!