Help please! Comparing Disney to Busch Gardens

taraaplin

Mouseketeer
Hey guys, they canceled our Disney trip for late June. We have decided to stay on beach at Rum Fish at St. Pete Beach. The problem is my kids need an amusement park. I see Busch Gardens is close by. I have three kids 9, 14 and 17. All meet all height requirements for all rides. The 9 year old only has a quarter inch to spare. He rode all rides at Disney two years ago- rocking roller and EE were his faves at 7. Do you think he would enjoy Busch Gardens? Or would it be a waste of money.

Well it’s your family... but if they care more about just rides than theme/experiences, which probably isn’t rare for teenagers, then it a go! Especially if the kids “need” an amusement park.

Hey guys, they canceled our Disney trip for late June. We have decided to stay on beach at Rum Fish at St. Pete Beach. The problem is my kids need an amusement park. I see Busch Gardens is close by. I have three kids 9, 14 and 17. All meet all height requirements for all rides. The 9 year old only has a quarter inch to spare. He rode all rides at Disney two years ago- rocking roller and EE were his faves at 7. Do you think he would enjoy Busch Gardens? Or would it be a waste of money.

Looking at your thread title - no, you cannot 'compare' the two parks, because there is NO way! Now, in an all or nothing situation like you have, I would say yes, your children would really enjoy Busch Gardens. It's a great park IMO, but don't go in comparing - just enjoy it for what is is!! :)

We have a similar situation. I moved our spring break trip to July 6. We're still going to Florida and spending two weeks in the Tampa bay area. I'm going to buy the Tampa City pass - it includes Busch Gardens. It won't compare to Disney but it will be something to do other than swim and play at the beach.

Busch Gardens is a nice park. In my opinion it's more like a really clean Six Flags with animals than a Disney. Most of the rides are thrill rides, but from the ages of your kids, that will probably be welcomed. Definitely worth a visit if you will be vacationing at the beach in that area.

I am a die hard Disney fan and I love Busch gardens. Clean, fun, friendly staff. Better thrill rides than Disney. There is also a water park owned by Busch near Tampa. Adventure island or something. Maybe you can get a combined pass if your family likes water parks.

We used to live in Clearwater Beach and went to Busch gardens many times before we ever stepped foot in WDW. We always loved it and no, you can't compare the 2. If we were spending any amount of time in the area, we would certainly go back but haven't been in years.

If they like roller coasters, then I would say go. Most of the coasters at BGTB are way more thrilling than Disney coasters though. Iron Gwazi should be open by then and it has the potential to be the top coaster in the world.

Busch Gardens is nothing like Disney; however we like it as the coasters are great so your kids will love that. Theming is ok but nothing like Disney. Food is usually good also. Note that one day should be good there. It is a clean park also and generally above a six flags park.

I think they'll enjoy Busch Gardens. To me, it feels like a little bit Six Flags, a little bit Disney, and a little bit zoo. While the themes aren't quite like what you find in a Disney park, they are themed better than a lot of things at a Six Flags park and the thrill rides are typically more intense than what you'll find with Disney. While I prefer the VA Busch Gardens, we went to the Tampa one several times when my parents lived in the St. Pete Beach area and always really enjoyed it.

If your kids like roller coasters, they should like Busch Gardens. And, they have non-looping coasters as well.
I haven't been in many years, so I don't know if the food has changed, or if their water rides are still the same, but the coasters were awesome!
I also don't know what is open with the pandemic. Hopefully you're able to have a good time.

Local tip (since I live near St. Pete Beach): if you like seafood, Shells is a good restaurant. Hopefully they're open. It's casual. Lots of tourists go there but so do some of us locals.

I've been to Busch Gardens once when I was a kid. It has a lot of similarities to AK and is very enjoyable. They also own the adventure island waterpark, also a lot of fun

Last edited:
I would say a combo feel of Animal Kingdom, SeaWorld and Six Flags. We went a few years back (riding kids 14, 19), spent two days there. I wouldn't replace Disney days with it but if you are staying in the area and not going to Disney ~ I'd absolutely go. Just let it be it's own park and enjoy it, don't compare it.

As an European GO for Busch Gardens

They have a Large Swing Boat that does a Full Circle .

Water Slides to Die for ..... you Will get Wet.

There is / or was an ariel chair ride .

My 12-year-old is super into roller coasters. It was either last year or the year before when he finally hit the height requirement to be able to ride Superman at Six Flags, and he hasn't looked back. He absolutely loves Disney's theming, and is dying to get down to see Galaxy's Edge, but he's also perfectly happy to spend the day going from thrill ride to thrill ride at a regular amusement park, too. We typically get down to Orlando every year or so (though this year is a bit out of whack). Now he's talking about wanting to go to Sea World for his next Orlando trip because it has the biggest coasters. He is still a fan of Disney and Universal, but he likes other experiences, too.

Sometimes teens/preteens can have as much (or more) fun at the thrill-type parks. I realize we're on a site dedicated to Disney and Universal, but there's a huge market out there for people who prefer big, fast, adrenaline rushes to the intricate theming that are the hallmarks of Disney and Universal. Right now, as far as my kid is concerned, the faster it spins, the higher it goes, the steeper it drops - the more fun it is.

So, go and enjoy BG on its own merits, and resist the temptation to compare it to Disney. It's not meant to be a Disney imitation - it's different in a good way that just makes it its own thing.

The water park, Adventure Island, is less than a mile away from Busch Gardens. A two park ticket with a visit to each park is only about $75, which is a bargain compared to Disney. It is an older park, but during the summer, you just can’t beat a day at a water park.

We love Busch Gardens. Their indoor shows were great but will likely be unavailable this summer. The animal encounters are sometimes awesome. They may feed the animals just before the encounter which can make for great viewing. Make sure to see the kangaroos before the exhibit closes, typically hours before the park does. The park is beautiful at night. Last summer they brought back free beer samples, almost like the good ole days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter