Help please to train kitten, what do you do to keep off diningrm chairs & table

My cat runs the joint, her tiny majesty can do whatever she pleases. Really, she's good, and as long as she has a couple of blankets in various parts of the house, she's very good - she's also terrible about getting trapped in my master closet but she lets me know, usually at 3am...

We did get a 3 month old kitten a month ago and after keeping him in our daughter's room we have let him loose while we are downstairs now and want to make sure he doesn't go on the chairs and table.

Do you have any tips to keep him off the dining room chairs, table and kitchen counters?
The only thing off limits to my cat is the dining and kitchen table and the countertops. He's really good actually at not getting on those and he understands if I catch him on it I make a noise or even start to get up and he gets off (of course when I'm gone who knows what he's up to but at least when I'm home he knows he's not supposed to be on them). I was consistent when he was a kitten to ensure he understood what I meant. As stubborn as he is he vast majority of the time listens to that. He's never really been a climber in the sense of him wanting to climb all around the kitchen and at the rental house on top of the fridge (he can't even do that at our home now as there is a cabinent above the fridge).

My cat though listens more to me than my husband :laughing:.

But chairs and couches and the end tables are fair game. They are more at his level and I didn't think it was fair to put him off limits for those.

I just thought of this thread because the one cat was up on the roof of my car again. Worst is he leaves dusty paw prints all over it.

I had a cat that wouldn’t stop using the bathtub as her kitty litter box. It was suggested to me to put aluminum foil in the tub. It worked and she quit. Eventually I removed the foil and she stayed out. Wonder if that would work on your table?

Not sure why it works but it did.

One of the reasons we don’t have a full time inside cat is the jumping on the counters thing. I really can’t stand the thought of them jumping on them while I am gone. Especially after having a co worker bring food to work with cat hair in it.

I had a cat that wouldn’t stop using the bathtub as her kitty litter box. It was suggested to me to put aluminum foil in the tub. It worked and she quit. Eventually I removed the foil and she stayed out. Wonder if that would work on your table?

One of the reasons we don’t have a full time inside cat is the jumping on the counters thing. I really can’t stand the thought of them jumping on them while I am gone. Especially after having a co worker bring food to work with cat hair in it.
I have no idea why ours stay off the counters. We didn't even have to train them. Maybe they're just lazy. ;)

I have no idea why ours stay off the counters. We didn't even have to train them. Maybe they're just lazy. ;)

Mine have always stayed off too. I have heard that stone type (cold) surfaces are naturally anti kitty. That's what I've had since getting out of grad school and when I got my first cat. Back in the day when my mom had corian (?) counters she had
Problems and When They Updated About 15 Years Ago They Stopped, I think there May Be someyhing to It?

I'm a volunteer with a local cat rescue and Trap-Neuter-Return organization. The best results we see are when a water squirter/bottle is used. Don't shoot the cat in the face - anywhere on the body though would make them stop after a couple of times. This works in my house with cats and kittens we foster and with our own cats.

Unfortunately, my cats aren't bothered by the water. They just look at you and go on about their business. One of them likes to jump in the shower with me...

My cats won't stay off the counter, but if they see me coming, they jump off. I just keep Clorox wipes handy.

My one cat likes to jump on the stove while you are cooking. He comes flying out of nowhere and then YELP as he steps on the hot burners. I thought one time would be enough for him to learn. It was not.. :oops:

They don't like to touch foil. When a cat started clawing our couch, we covered that side with foil and put a scratching post nearby. Didn't have to leave the foil up long since a post was near. Ours also were clawing at the kitchen door frame so we have foil on that too. I like to see if guests ask about the foiled door frame. Most people don't say a word!

DH is insistent on no counter tops or kitchen table due to food prep and eating but they can go anywhere else. They have been good about it except in the last couple weeks our best behaved cat has been trying the counters.

I will try the foil, thank you.

They don't like to touch foil. When a cat started clawing our couch, we covered that side with foil and put a scratching post nearby. Didn't have to leave the foil up long since a post was near. Ours also were clawing at the kitchen door frame so we have foil on that too. I like to see if guests ask about the foiled door frame. Most people don't say a word!

DH is insistent on no counter tops or kitchen table due to food prep and eating but they can go anywhere else. They have been good about it except in the last couple weeks our best behaved cat has been trying the counters.

Wondering what you do about the countertops and table to keep the cats off? So far our kitten hasn't tried the countertops maybe because he can't jump that high yet.

Doubled sided sticky tape works great where you don't want kitty to go! (according to friends) No way will I have cat hair on everything, especially table and counter tops. No indoor kitties, or doggies, for us. I've seen cat hair in food - makes me gag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!