help re Swan humidity/info re WDW hotel A/C changes to come

cupcake

Mouseketeer
The Swan recently (but prehurricanes) completed a major renovation which, among other things, was supposed to address room A/C & humidity issues. We stay frequently at the Swan (and have no choice where we stay) as my dh gets to go to WDW for conferences and this is where they put us. The dampness (and I'm sure associated mold) last year was really bad for my asthma. Unfortunately, they continue to have dampness issues because: (1) water issues related to the hurricane make certain rooms damper than others; and (2) the A/C is on a motion detector and goes very low when guests are not in the room. The result is that in the evenings, it gets cool but is still damp. The dampness, combined with daytime humidity, is causing asthma flareups for me.

Apparently, WDW policy, which the Swan must adhere to, prohibits hotels from getting dehumidifiers for the rooms. They are checking for me to see if there is a way to get around this. Not sure what the logic is given that they've had and continue to have chronic dampness problems and I cannot be the only one with respiratory issues.

They going to have engineering come to see if they can override the system tomorrow morning. I hope it works.

Apparently, some of the rooms have a sensor where the deadbolt meets the doorframe. It clicks in with pressure. If one came after housekeeping or left the do not disturb sign, one could place something small in there to keep the sensor depressed. Our room and the other available room did not have these but it's worth noting.

Also, WDW resorts are moving to the green environmentally better sensor operated A/C. Augh!!!!! I am in favor of pro-environmental measures but am even more in favor of breathing well.

So a solution to the dampness problem will likely help a lot of people. I am having fun at Food & Wine, but hope the asthma improves as it is tough with the humidity during the day with no chance to calm down well overnight. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it in case they can't do an override.

:wave: Cupcake

If the A/C is triggered by a motion detector, how about bringing an oscillating fan with you and put it near the motion sensor. Then you will have A/C...evenly distributed around the room to boot! The fan moving may trigger the motion detector.

No ideas, just hoping for some dry weather for you.
I know some people have had luck with keeping a balloon floating in the room with the motion detector type AC. Doesn't sound like that would work for you if their sensor is in the door (?Apparently to sense when someone has left the room?).

Originally posted by cupcake
I am in favor of pro-environmental measures but am even more in favor of breathing well.

I think it is more of a cost saving measure than an environmental issue. :rolleyes: Our room at AKL stayed extremely damp for our entire trip last summer. It never got over 74 degrees, even when we were in the room moving around during the day. I shouldn't have to fight with a resort where I am paying over $300/night in order to get the room cool. I could easily stay offsite in a 2 BR luxury condo with a thermostat.

The Swan has excellent customer service. If there is any way they can overide the system, they will do it. :)

OK -- here is the official scoop on the room humidity issue.

The Swan CMs were very nice but ultimately pretty ineffective. Every person we spoke with had a different answer on the override for the A/C automatic turn off. They could do it... they can't... it's done (but wasn't)... and so on. They also wouldn't know a dehumidifier if they fell over one. They came up (after almost 3 full days of trying to address the problem, during which I had a really severe attack in Epcot) with an air cleaner with a tage saying it was approved for use after 12/95. Let's just say they have made a lot of advances in air cleaners since then, plus obviously it doesn't help the humidity. They are also incapable of getting housekeeping to not spray air cleaner -- again, they could not be nicer, but they just can't seem to make things happen.

I finally called Special Services to see if they had any ideas. Although they have no jurisdiction over the Swan/Dolphin, the CM was great. She got to the bottom of the alleged "no dehumidifiers at WDW resorts" rule. There is no such rule. Each resort has several dehumidifiers for the use of guests with respiratory issues. She also gave me info about helping the Swan potentially work with the WDW hotels if the Swan could not address my needs right away. When we found this out, the Swan duty manager finally came thru for us and said she would either come up with one or rent one. That night, voila! A dehumidifier. It made a huge difference.

The balcony rooms are purportedly more humid than non-balcony rooms (allegedly water issues related to the hurricanes). We toured whatever rooms were available on any given night to see if it was worth moving, and I am not sure that's right-- some of the non-balcony rooms were really humid.

Lessons learned:
The Swan CMs were super nice but were not able to help (although they said they had-- and then the problem was still there). We should have asked for the duty manager right away. We also should have called Special Services right away. I know I will be going back to the Swan (my dh has conferences at WDW and that's where they put us) and I will definitely call the duty manager a few days before my arrival and get the dehumidifier set up. It was very aggravating, as well as bad for my asthma.

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter