Help Trip/Gatwick Questions

Simba UK

Earning My Ears
I have a few questions for my trip (10/8) please could you help

1. Flying from Gatwick - Any more news on the baggage/check-in strikes?
2. Travelling down from Coventry on Saturday morning 6.30, what is the traffic on the M25 like?
3. Gatwick check-in, I am flying Continental but on the Virgin code-share, is there a separate check-in desk for Continental customers, I am hearing stories of it being a nightmare if checking in with Virgin
4. Kid packs - I understand that Virgin gives out backpacks with goodies for the children, do they also give these out to Continental customers/kids, I know that we are seated in a separate area
5. For anyone that has just returned, what are the crowds like? We normally go the last week in August but due to childrens schooling have gone earlier this time

Thanks in advance for any responses

Hi Simba and ~~~Welcome to the UKDis~~~

1. Flying from Gatwick - Any more news on the baggage/check-in strikes?

<font color=blue>I haven't heard of any further bulletins on this news - maybe "No news is good news" will come into it's own here - but I am sure someone will have an answer for you on this later :) </font>

2. Travelling down from Coventry on Saturday morning 6.30, what is the traffic on the M25 like?

<font color=blue>The M25 can be horrendous - the earlier you are the better - I only used to live an hour away from Gatwick but always allowed 2+ hours to compensate for the M25. Eventually it got that I would be so anxious about being late that we started to stay in an hotel the night before. I would definetly allow yourself lots of time for the journey and keep the radio tuned for Traffic Updates - and an alternative route firmly attached to the dashboard in case it's needed.</font>

3. Gatwick check-in, I am flying Continental but on the Virgin code-share, is there a separate check-in desk for Continental customers, I am hearing stories of it being a nightmare if checking in with Virgin

<font color=blue>I have only travelled with Virgin (Not Continental) so have no experience of this - perhaps someone else will help you here.</font>

4. Kid packs - I understand that Virgin gives out backpacks with goodies for the children, do they also give these out to Continental customers/kids, I know that we are seated in a separate area

<fonr color=blue>Again, I have no experience of this.</font>

5. For anyone that has just returned, what are the crowds like? We normally go the last week in August but due to childrens schooling have gone earlier this time

<font color=blue>Hopefully some of our recent returnee's will be able to help you out here.</font>

Hope this helps and I hope you have a fantastic time - with a hassle free journey on the M25 :D :D :D

I too am anxiously watching out for this. The latest I've read (from the This is worthing website) is that the results of the ballot are not yet known but it is likely that the offer will be rejected.

If the offer is rejected then another ballot will be needed on whether strike action will be taken.

Not very positive I know but we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Libby

Simba - can't help you with much, but with regards Continental/Virgin, you fly on the Virgin plane same as Virgin customers - last time we went ALL children got back back - including the Continental people who were sitting in front of us (and told us what a good price they'd paid as well . . . just what we wanted to hear, but jolly good luck to them;) )

Hi Simba

I'm also from Coventry but we plan to travel down the day before when we go in October and stay and a Hotel this works out cheaper than leaving the car at the airport etc. Also the M25 can be a nightmare as you are probably aware and anything can happen so if I was you I would seriously think about going the day before and treating yourself to a hotel.

Looks like we might have good news on the baggage handlers strike.

According to Ceefax they have rejected the employers 2nd offer but they have now had a much better offer made. It looks like the unions are going to recommend the workers accept this one - let's hope they do!

Libby

PS
We only live 45minutes from Gatwick but can't face M25 during the rush hour (6am or even earlier!) when we've a flight to catch. We've booked into an hotel the night before it takes away the stress on the morning.

Libby

We were on the Continental codeshare with Virgin and yup we received our K-iD packs and children's meals. BTW is there such a huge price difference between them?? We paid for the last week in November approx £260 inc tax adult and £180 kids.

Lisa

Hi Simba

We have just returned from WDW and the Florida Keys went to Orlando and returned from Miami on Wed am.
No evidence of any problems with baggage.
We drove down from Yorkshire the day before and stayed at the Gatwick Hilton and got free car parking apart from the last day as we had gone into day 15. It was only around £7 for that so it wasn't too bad. The M25 going down at around 1 to 2 ish in the afternoon was not too bad but coming back up on Wed morning at 8.45 to 9.30 am it was horrendous on both sides with accidents going towards Gatwick and the tail-end of the rush hour on our side. I would allow plenty of time for the unexpected.

We went with Virgin so can't help you with their provision of goodies etc.

We found on the Tuesday pm at around 3.30pm the twilight check-in was deserted and we were through in minutes

wDW was busy but with the use of fastpasses, lots of water/drinks and not to try to pack too much in to the days we did not feel overpowered. Disney are very good at making queues interesting. We also stayed on-site and found that we came away after an early start, rested and then went to another park in the early evening was our best strategy.
Any more questions please feel free to ask
Shirley

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter