Help trying to plan/budget a DL vacation as a newbie

How far are you from the parks, spectro? (more like how long is your flight, is it connecting anywhere? etc...)

I feel my answer is still come in the night before, that way.... if you're delayed or misdirected, it doesn't eat into your Disney day 1.

I'm based in Orlando, FL so... um like a 4.5-5hr flight if non-stop (which is what we are planning on).

I'm based in Orlando, FL so... um like a 4.5-5hr flight if non-stop (which is what we are planning on).

hmmmm....okay i'm 50/50. You know yourself best, if you're a beast and can run at 100% for 9-12hrs after a 5hr flight, then save on the extra hotel night and come in day-of (you're staying long enough). DL/DCA can comfortably/leisurely be experienced over 3-4 days.

I don't anticipate weather delays on either outbound or inbound flight. If you were coming from the northeast I'd say otherwise.

If you've got cash to burn come early!

hmmmm....okay i'm 50/50. You know yourself best, if you're a beast and can run at 100% for 9-12hrs after a 5hr flight, then save on the extra hotel night and come in day-of (you're staying long enough). DL/DCA can comfortably/leisurely be experienced over 3-4 days.

I don't anticipate weather delays on either outbound or inbound flight. If you were coming from the northeast I'd say otherwise.

If you've got cash to burn come early!

Thanks for the insight. We were originally at coming in on a morning flight on our first day and then red-eyeing home at the end of the trip (bc why not). This is my first time out to DL/DCA and I'm so used to WDW that this is a whole new planning experience for me.

definatly arrive the day before. Get a flight that arrives in the afternoon, and take your time getting to Anaheim, don't strees about traffic or flight delays.

Then in Anaheim go for a meal, either in Downtown Disney or at Garden Walk and get an early night.

Aim to be at park security / bag check about 1 hour before park opening, so if the park opens at 8am, be there for 7am, which means most likely getting up at 5.30am

Thanks for the insight. We were originally at coming in on a morning flight on our first day and then red-eyeing home at the end of the trip (bc why not). This is my first time out to DL/DCA and I'm so used to WDW that this is a whole new planning experience for me.

I'll repeat what's been posted before on other threads (which you've probably already read). It's a lot more casual out west, and one of the things WDW travelers have noted is that the intense and long-range scheduling/planning that comes with WDW doesn't necessarily apply to the DLR.

That is, a DLR traveler should factor in free/flexible time to just roam around. It's probably a 15-20 minute brisk walk from SWGE (furthest north DL) to Radiator Springs (furthest south DCA).

I schedule my tentpole reservations (Blue Bayou/Fantasmic package, Lamp Light Lounge, Napa Rose if you're feeling fancy, character bfasts, etc... as far in advance as I can), and let the day take me wherever the lines are shortest (or wherever the MaxPass takes me)!

Aside from DLR, where else are you planning to go? Sounds like DLR takes up most of your trip (no objections here, haha)

I'll repeat what's been posted before on other threads (which you've probably already read). It's a lot more casual out west, and one of the things WDW travelers have noted is that the intense and long-range scheduling/planning that comes with WDW doesn't necessarily apply to the DLR.

That is, a DLR traveler should factor in free/flexible time to just roam around. It's probably a 15-20 minute brisk walk from SWGE (furthest north DL) to Radiator Springs (furthest south DCA).

I schedule my tentpole reservations (Blue Bayou/Fantasmic package, Lamp Light Lounge, Napa Rose if you're feeling fancy, character bfasts, etc... as far in advance as I can), and let the day take me wherever the lines are shortest (or wherever the MaxPass takes me)!

Aside from DLR, where else are you planning to go? Sounds like DLR takes up most of your trip (no objections here, haha)

When I originally started planning this trip it was going to be Disneyland only (to celebrate a big birthday of mine) as the time has progressed the BF has mentioned doing things not Disney-related. We originally contemplated Universal but wasn't sure if that was up our alley. Have also thought Knott's Berry Farms (which should be Knott's Merry Farms at the time were going) or even doing one of the studio tours. Nothing has been set in stone yet.

I'm still contemplating hotels. I have some friends who have stayed at Anaheim Hotel and liked it but I found that the Best Western (Plus Park Place, i think) is literally across the street and has comp breakfast so who knows what will happen.

... I'm still contemplating hotels. I have some friends who have stayed at Anaheim Hotel and liked it but I found that the Best Western (Plus Park Place, i think) is literally across the street and has comp breakfast so who knows what will happen.
Anaheim Hotel gets very mixed reviews here, mostly negative. The DIS review was negative. Their biggest plus is that Pizza Press is on their property. And you can eat at Pizza Press without staying at that hotel. Go for the BWPPI - that is the closest hotel to the Harbor crosswalk -- literally about 5 minute walk to the Harbor bag check, then a few minutes straight to the park gates (for either park). No brainer.

Anaheim Hotel gets very mixed reviews here, mostly negative. The DIS review was negative. Their biggest plus is that Pizza Press is on their property. And you can eat at Pizza Press without staying at that hotel. Go for the BWPPI - that is the closest hotel to the Harbor crosswalk -- literally about 5 minute walk to the Harbor bag check, then a few minutes straight to the park gates (for either park). No brainer.

that or Tropicana Inn and Suites next door, that’s my personal cross-Harbor go-to.

@theluckyrabbit I originally looking for packages and none of them seemed to include the BWPPI but after many reviews and crunching numbers and realizing we can still get a discount on tickets even without a hotel stay we booked the BWPPI so im so excited.

Does anyone have transportation from LAX to BWPPI tips? We are not renting a car but aren't sure what shuttles are best recommended since I feel like they all have 50/50 reviews...

@theluckyrabbit I originally looking for packages and none of them seemed to include the BWPPI but after many reviews and crunching numbers and realizing we can still get a discount on tickets even without a hotel stay we booked the BWPPI so im so excited.

Does anyone have transportation from LAX to BWPPI tips? We are not renting a car but aren't sure what shuttles are best recommended since I feel like they all have 50/50 reviews...

ever since the DL express service shut down, with rental car out of the picture, Uber/Lyft are typically your best bets.

there’s a few shuttle services mentioned on the boards that I will defer to my more learned brethren.

... Does anyone have transportation from LAX to BWPPI tips? We are not renting a car but aren't sure what shuttles are best recommended since I feel like they all have 50/50 reviews...
Look over the last few pages here: Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread. Karmel Shuttle is one of the few shuttles still running. Uber/Lyft are a good option. Lansky's is pricey, but a great option -- they are still giving great customer service during this shutdown. The reviews have been very good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter