Help trying to plan/budget a DL vacation as a newbie

Hi Friends, thanks for the insight!
Do most people fly into LAX or SNA?
SNA seems closer but i'm not sure if the higher price is worth it being closer?
Any insight?

SNA is much closer to DL- about 30 minutes. WE take an Uber to the parks from the airport and it cost $30-35 with tip. And they can pick you up at the curb. LAX doesn't allow this anymore and it's about an hour with no traffic after getting your bags. Uber cost about $50-60 with tip. The ground transportation stickie has a lot of great information about shuttle services. When figuring pricing factor ground transportation into your total. We did LAX last time because it was a $500 savings. Have so much fun planning!

Any insight?
I have not been yet myself so this is just based on what I've read here, but according to several post comments it is worth the few extra dollars to fly in and out of other airports (in my case one would be Burbank too). However, I'm wondering if the more limited flights will be worth it also. I'm going to sit down soon and analyze all of the different options and book what I deem best for me and my DD and if that means LAX then that's what I'll book, but I wanted to put that out there in case you aren't that analytical type of person as I am. (I tend to over analyze everything. LOL )

I am a VERY analytical person. I made a packing spreadsheet for our last cruise with photos from our "practice pack" so ensure we didn't miss anything.

I'm frustrated bc I would like to fly SW if possible but who knows when those flights will drop. Right now we are looking at either Delta or American to LAX just because it seems cheaper, direct and more time options at the moment.

Any insight?
I always fly into SNA. To me, the slightly higher price is offset by the fact I don't have to deal with LAX's HUGE airport. SNA is much smaller and easier to navigate. Plus, I use Karmel Shuttle, so it's a cost savings there as it's less expensive to use them from SNA than it is from LAX.

YMMV, but that's what works for me and my family.

Any insight?
With my home airport LAX is the only feasible option both for being the only airport that has non-stop flights (and only SWA and Spirit have non-stop to the LA area from my home airport) and for cost. All other area airports are just so high in cost and require stops.

In all honesty I think it's just a personal decision because for me if I'm saving hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) per person on flights AND I'm getting non-stop it means LAX is the one to go. BUT if the cost isn't so much of a difference and you either don't have a non-stop option, SNA would still be non-stop or you're totally down for stops if you need to then SNA would probably be preferable due to its location.

Any insight?
We prefer SNA, LGB, ONT, LAX, BUR in that order. Little higher prices at SNA/LGB/ONT is generally evened out when you add in ground transportation.

Any insight?
My first trip as an adult in 2012 we flew into LAX which wasn't a bad experience but it was a long way to the hotel. After seeing about SNA on the DIS boards I tried it on my 2nd trip and I am not sure I will ever go back to LAX. I grew up in Nebraska where we have a tiny airport for such a large city so I am more comfortable maneuvering around SNA compared to LAX. For me, the dollar difference is made up by the cost of transportation and time in getting to the DLR area.

I fly out of lax if there’s a non stop flight. It’s not worth it to fly there without uber anymore IMO.

We fly into SNA.

Hello Friends,
Still waiting for time off approvals on our end... YAY (insert sarcasm)... How close to trying to DLR have you booked it? I know typically the further out you book it the cheaper it is, but will it jump like WDW does?

TIA!

Hello Friends,
Still waiting for time off approvals on our end... YAY (insert sarcasm)... How close to trying to DLR have you booked it? I know typically the further out you book it the cheaper it is, but will it jump like WDW does?

TIA!
Given what happened today, who knows what will happen with prices! If you are still looking at December, are you able to book something that has a no penalty cancellation policy? That way you could continue looking for better deals and rebook if you do find something with a lower price? These are not normal times, so "typical" doesn't really apply right now!

Given what happened today, who knows what will happen with prices! If you are still looking at December, are you able to book something that has a no penalty cancellation policy? That way you could continue looking for better deals and rebook if you do find something with a lower price? These are not normal times, so "typical" doesn't really apply right now!

Trust me I am reviewing all the options! Especially right now, when I don't have anything else to do.

Question:
When flying into Disneyland...
Would you rather:
A). Fly in the night before
B). Take an early non-stop flight and be in before 12pm?

Which option do you think is best and why.

Question:
When flying into Disneyland...
Would you rather:
A). Fly in the night before
B). Take an early non-stop flight and be in before 12pm?

Which option do you think is best and why.

arrive in Anaheim the night / day before definatly. I usually do a 2 location vacation and I always make sure to arrive the day before my first park day.

Those first few hours in the park are when I get most done. I can do every ride in Fantasyland in 90 minutes when I'm there for park opening, compared to a 90 minute wait for Peter Pan at 2pm!

Wow that's crazy, I might have to adjust our traveling game plan!

I concur, I arrive the night before for other reasons. For me, even flying 1hr into SNA or LGB (my preferred airports) is somewhat tiring.

Carry bag, TSA, carry bag, board the plan, hoist bag up, sit down, try to stretch, bring bag down, get off plane, walk to rental car, inspect car, drive to DL, find parking, walk to hotel, check in, wait.....oof.

I like coming in late at night, pop into the park (if I can) as the lines are fairly light....sleep, and get in early. Especially now with the ROTR boarding group process. Also, come December, sunset is 4:30-5pm, so usable daylight is limited (but man that park is beautiful at night).

The only time I fly in day-of is if I have a relatively long stay (2 full days), that saves on one night of hotel + cheaper flight if I do Saturday-Tuesday (Sun/Mon being the "full days")

I concur, I arrive the night before for other reasons. For me, even flying 1hr into SNA or LGB (my preferred airports) is somewhat tiring.

Carry bag, TSA, carry bag, board the plan, hoist bag up, sit down, try to stretch, bring bag down, get off plane, walk to rental car, inspect car, drive to DL, find parking, walk to hotel, check in, wait.....oof.

I like coming in late at night, pop into the park (if I can) as the lines are fairly light....sleep, and get in early. Especially now with the ROTR boarding group process. Also, come December, sunset is 4:30-5pm, so usable daylight is limited (but man that park is beautiful at night).

The only time I fly in day-of is if I have a relatively long stay (2 full days), that saves on one night of hotel + cheaper flight if I do Saturday-Tuesday (Sun/Mon being the "full days")

We will hoping to do about 5-6 days in California. Thinking of doing 5 in DLR just because we have to time and wanted to make the most of it without being rushed.

We will hoping to do about 5-6 days in California. Thinking of doing 5 in DLR just because we have to time and wanted to make the most of it without being rushed.

How far are you from the parks, spectro? (more like how long is your flight, is it connecting anywhere? etc...)

I feel my answer is still come in the night before, that way.... if you're delayed or misdirected, it doesn't eat into your Disney day 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter