Help - Upgrade from Memories to Escape Package

tinkerbell1991

DIS Veteran
Hi,

My circumstances may be changing and although we haven't booked anything yet due to the wedding not being until next October, I want to get prices sorted before I consider going to the next package.

I have always been set on the Memories package and it would just be me and my partner eloping as I didn't believe family would be able to afford to fly out to Florida from the UK but now it appears that it's possible.

For the extra $3,500, what do you get that's different from the memories package?

When I look online, it looks like an extra hour of photography, an extra hour of transportation, cake and champagne - I just want to check if that's everything?

Also if anyone has done it, can you wear your wedding attire if you book a private dessert party if not on the same day as your ceremony?

You've got it! That's basically the only difference between Escape and Memories. Well, you have a few more venues to choose from, including one inside Epcot and of course the Wedding Pavilion. And you may find it slightly easier to plan a dessert party via an Escape planner than a Memories planner—some of them don't yet seem to be aware that DFTW offers private events for Memories couples now. The bridal attire question is an interesting one. They make a big deal out of the fact that only Disney Fairy Tale Weddings couples can wear bridal attire at in-park events, but they don't say anything about those events having to be held on the wedding day. I'd say your chances are good, but it's definitely a question for your planner.

First of all, congrats :)

Along with the extra hour of photography, you also get a 20-image photo album with Escape, as opposed to the 11x14 print with Memories.

The Escape collection includes both a bridal bouquet and a boutonniere; the Memories collection only includes a bridal bouquet, with a boutonniere being an additional purchase. (If you are both brides, you can get two smaller bouquets instead of one big one in either package.)

The big difference is venues. The Escape collection allows you to use Disney's purpose-built wedding venues, like the Wedding Gazebo at the Yacht Club, Sea Breeze Point by the Boardwalk, and the Wedding Pavilion (at additional cost). You also have the option of getting married inside Epcot (at additional cost) or at Luau Pointe at the Polynesian. With Memories, you only have the options of Luau Pointe, Luau Beach (also at the Polynesian), and the Conch Key Marina and Sago Cay at the Grand Floridian. These locations are perfectly nice and they might be a good fit if you want a "natural" ceremony, but they maybe feel a little less like venues and more like...random out-of-the-way places. Especially since...

With the Memories collection, you don't get seats for your guests. With the Escape collection, you do get seats, as well as tables for the cake and champagne celebration. This goes a looong way toward making it feel like a real wedding and not an elopement, IMO.

It really comes down to what kind of "vibe" you're going for. Do you want it to feel like a traditional wedding? Escape may be the better option, with its venues and cake and chairs. But if you're non-traditional sort of people, you might find that a super simple ceremony on the beach is just perfectly romantic.

You'll also have to consider what time you want your ceremony to be. With Memories, your choices are 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., or 3 p.m., so if you want an evening ceremony, you're out of luck. With Escape, the choices for most venues are 10 a.m., noon, 2:30 p.m., and 5 p.m.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a very special day and make many happy memories. :)

Last edited:
You've got it! That's basically the only difference between Escape and Memories. Well, you have a few more venues to choose from, including one inside Epcot and of course the Wedding Pavilion. And you may find it slightly easier to plan a dessert party via an Escape planner than a Memories planner—some of them don't yet seem to be aware that DFTW offers private events for Memories couples now. The bridal attire question is an interesting one. They make a big deal out of the fact that only Disney Fairy Tale Weddings couples can wear bridal attire at in-park events, but they don't say anything about those events having to be held on the wedding day. I'd say your chances are good, but it's definitely a question for your planner.
First of all, congrats :)

Along with the extra hour of photography, you also get a 20-image photo album with Escape, as opposed to the 11x14 print with Memories.

The Escape collection includes both a bridal bouquet and a boutonniere; the Memories collection only includes a bridal bouquet, with a boutonniere being an additional purchase. (If you are both brides, you can get two smaller bouquets instead of one big one in either package.)

The big difference is venues. The Escape collection allows you to use Disney's purpose-built wedding venues, like the Wedding Gazebo at the Yacht Club, Sea Breeze Point by the Boardwalk, and the Wedding Pavilion (at additional cost). You also have the option of getting married inside Epcot (at additional cost) or at Luau Pointe at the Polynesian. With Memories, you only have the options of Luau Pointe, Luau Beach (also at the Polynesian), and the Conch Key Marina and Sago Cay at the Grand Floridian. These locations are perfectly nice and they might be a good fit if you want a "natural" ceremony, but they maybe feel a little less like venues and more like...random out-of-the-way places. Especially since...

With the Memories collection, you don't get seats for your guests. With the Escape collection, you do get seats, as well as tables for the cake and champagne celebration. This goes a looong way toward making it feel like a real wedding and not an elopement, IMO.

It really comes down to what kind of "vibe" you're going for. Do you want it to feel like a traditional wedding? Escape may be the better option, with its venues and cake and chairs. But if you're non-traditional sort of people, you might find that a super simple ceremony on the beach is just perfectly romantic.

You'll also have to consider what time you want your ceremony to be. With Memories, your choices are 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., or 3 p.m., so if you want an evening ceremony, you're out of luck. With Escape, the choices for most venues are 10 a.m., noon, 2:30 p.m., and 5 p.m.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a very special day and make many happy memories. :)

Than you both. Unfortunately after my family saying they could attend (thus looking at the biggest package), they have now said that none can attend so we'll still go ahead with the original memories package, just with my in-laws. It will definitely be small and intimate but it shows who your true family is.

Have you considered a wedding at the Swan & Dolphin resort (located right next to the Boardwalk on Disney property)? A lot of people think that if they want to get married at Disney they have to go through Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings, but there are other options. The Swan & Dolphin offer a variety of wedding packages that are priced similarly to Disney's Memories collection but that include many of the features of the Escape collection, like a cake and champagne (or other refreshment) and chairs. Many couples with a small group feel like they get a lot more bang for their buck there. You don't have to stay at the Swan or Dolphin to have a wedding there, and since it's on Disney property, you can even arrange for a Mickey and Minnie appearance (at additional cost, of course).

Their packages start at about $3900 and unlike Disney's packages, that includes an officiant. If you would like to capture a lot of pictures, they offer one package in particular that seems like a really good value. The "Magical Wedding" package is about $4500, and it includes cake (or a cheese display, or pastries and fruit), champagne and cider, a violinist, a bouquet and a boutonniere, and three hours of photography. (If you go to the Disney Weddings Podcast web site you can view the photos of couples who got married at the Swan & Dolphin.) You can even get a package that includes videography and cosmetology services, if you want one-stop shopping for everything but the rings. :)

I'm not trying to discourage you from using the Memories collection — if having an "official" Disney Fairy Tale Wedding is important to you, I get that. To some people, that's literally priceless, and you should definitely go with whatever is going to make you happy long-term. But to a lot of people, just getting married at Disney is what is important, and many people aren't aware that there are other options. The Memories package is designed so that Disney can arrange it with as few as 24 hours notice — so that if a couple is overcome with romance on their Disney vacation, they can get married (or have a vow renewal) on that very trip. I'm not sure how often this actually happens, but that's why it has the limitations that it does. If you're planning an event months ahead, and you don't care about going through Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings specifically, you might be able to arrange a more "complete" event for a similar amount of money.

lurkyloo wrote an ebook about Disney weddings that has detailed information on the Memories collection and its available options, as well as a whole chapter on ways to get married at Disney outside of Disney's three Fairy Tale Wedding packages. Many happy couples have gotten married at the Four Seasons, the House of Blues at Disney Springs, or even high above Disney on a hot air balloon! (Insert cheesy "at Disney, the sky is literally the limit" conclusion here. :) )

Last edited:
Have you considered a wedding at the Swan & Dolphin resort (located right next to the Boardwalk on Disney property)? A lot of people think that if they want to get married at Disney they have to go through Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings, but there are other options. The Swan & Dolphin offer a variety of wedding packages that are priced similarly to Disney's Memories collection but that include many of the features of the Escape collection, like a cake and champagne (or other refreshment) and chairs. Many couples with a small group feel like they get a lot more bang for their buck there. You don't have to stay at the Swan or Dolphin to have a wedding there, and since it's on Disney property, you can even arrange for a Mickey and Minnie appearance (at additional cost, of course).

Their packages start at about $3900 and unlike Disney's packages, that includes an officiant. If you would like to capture a lot of pictures, they offer one package in particular that seems like a really good value. The "Magical Wedding" package is about $4500, and it includes cake (or a cheese display, or pastries and fruit), champagne and cider, a violinist, a bouquet and a boutonniere, and three hours of photography. (If you go to the Disney Weddings Podcast web site you can view the photos of couples who got married at the Swan & Dolphin.) You can even get a package that includes videography and cosmetology services, if you want one-stop shopping for everything but the rings. :)

I'm not trying to discourage you from using the Memories collection — if having an "official" Disney Fairy Tale Wedding is important to you, I get that. To some people, that's literally priceless, and you should definitely go with whatever is going to make you happy long-term. But to a lot of people, just getting married at Disney is what is important, and many people aren't aware that there are other options. The Memories package is designed so that Disney can arrange it with as few as 24 hours notice — so that if a couple is overcome with romance on their Disney vacation, they can get married (or have a vow renewal) on that very trip. I'm not sure how often this actually happens, but that's why it has the limitations that it does. If you're planning an event months ahead, and you don't care about going through Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings specifically, you might be able to arrange a more "complete" event for a similar amount of money.

lurkyloo wrote an ebook about Disney weddings that has detailed information on the Memories collection and its available options, as well as a whole chapter on ways to get married at Disney outside of Disney's three Fairy Tale Wedding packages. Many happy couples have gotten married at the Four Seasons, the House of Blues at Disney Springs, or even high above Disney on a hot air balloon! (Insert cheesy "at Disney, the sky is literally the limit" conclusion here. :) )
Wow thank you so much for that, I didn't realise swan and dolphin did weddings.
The only reason we're sticking with an official disney package is because we want to do the pre park photo shoot in our bridal attire but I really appreciate you providing me with all that information xxx

You can book a pre-park opening bridal portrait session even if you aren’t a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding couple. DFTW couples can book earlier, at 12 months out; all other couples can book at 4 months out.

Now, I have no idea how hard it typically is to book one of those bridal portrait sessions at four months out for October. Maybe it’s pretty easy, maybe it’s virtually impossible, I don’t know what availability is like. But it might be worth looking into if that’s the only reason you’re planning on a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding.

You can book a pre-park opening bridal portrait session even if you aren’t a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding couple. DFTW couples can book earlier, at 12 months out; all other couples can book at 4 months out.

Now, I have no idea how hard it typically is to book one of those bridal portrait sessions at four months out for October. Maybe it’s pretty easy, maybe it’s virtually impossible, I don’t know what availability is like. But it might be worth looking into if that’s the only reason you’re planning on a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding.
We really want photos at MK and that's the only park you can't wear wedding attire if you haven't booked a Disney wedding with them. I guess it's each to their own, just want the photos and memories x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts