• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

help- which moderate- por, cbr, or csr?

Hessie628

Mouseketeer
hi everyone. i need some help deciding on a moderate. my old college roommate and i are going to wdw june 11-16 to celebrate our 25th birthdays. her birthday is 2 weeks before and mine is 2 weeks after. we both went to wdw in feb 2002 and stayed at cbr. we liked the hotel, but did not have a good experience there b/c of the dance competitions and the girls staying next to our room. i feel like i should give it another chance. i have also stayed at por a couple of times and love it. my friend has never stayed there and neither of us have stayed at csr. i am a very indecisive person when it comes to these things. i like the location of por and cbr (por is so close to downtown disney and cbr to epcot), but i have heard great things about csr. also, i don't know much about the pepper market at csr except for the 10% gratuity added. would we like the food? cbr had the beaches and hammocks and por is peaceful and i know my way around. to add to the problem my friend doesn't care which one we stay at b/c she trusts that i will pick a good one and she just wants to go away. please, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
-jessica

Hi Jessica,

I vote for CSR. Check out my website below for pics and info. You'll get the feel of Cancun while drinking margaritas by the pool. But which ever you decide on, have a GREAT birthday!

I would pick the CBR over the others. We've never run into anything but great times there. TYou should also check into mousesaves.com and see if you can't find a different resort at the same price the moderates are quoting. The Swan and Dolphin may be offering some reduced rates and they are right off the Boadwalk, a short walk to Epcot and MGM. Not Disney, but might just meet your needs a little better than moderates which tend to have lots of kids (which I personally prefer). You'll have a good time at any of the moderates so don't fret over it.

If I had to pick one I would choose CBR. But the truth is you'll have a great time no matter which one you choose. Here's a few info on each:

POR/POFQ:
-Close to Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon. Can reach it by boat.
-POR tends to be more quiet; also is quite spread out. POFQ is smaller; everyting is within walking distance.
-Food Court is quite good.

CBR:
-Close to Epcot.
-Largest moderate. Really spread out.
-If you want quiet, request a room in Jamaica or Aruba. You'll have to walk a little to get to Old Port Royale (the Food Court area), but it's a nice walk and, depending on the route, the bus stops here are among the first. Trinindad South is very quiet, but it's a loooooong way from Old Port Royale.
-Food Court is good, although POR's is better.

CSR:
-Close to AK, Blizzard Beach.
-Also quite spread out. Farthest from El Centro (the Main Area) are the Ranchos. Cabanas 9A and Casitas 1 are the closest buildings to El Centro. Cabanas 8A and Ranchos 7B are closest to the Dig Site (the Pool).
-Convention hotel. Could be crowded at El Centro or Pepper Market (the 'Food Court').
-Here's how Pepper Market works (at least when I stayed there): you enter and you're given a ticket and a tray. You choose from different stations (I think there's pasta, salads, a grill, and bakery, among others). Food Item prices are displayed in the stations, but they don't charge you there. For each thing you choose, you get a stamp on your ticket. Then you sit and eat. You can fetch a beverage at a station or you can ask a server (which are roaming around the seating area) to fetch you one or anything else you might need. When you're done, you take your stamped ticket to the cashiers at the exit, and they charge you. Be prepared to be charged a little more here, but the food served is not typical Food Court fare (although you will find some). You will also be charged an additional 10% service charge.

Hope this helps. But don't worry too much about it. I'm sure you'll both enjoy your time there!

....all three and my vote is for CSR! It is the newest of the three (although there have been extensive renovations at CBR) I think, you and your friend, as young adults, will find the "atmosphere/ambiance" better suited for you at CSR (especially the pool!!) I also didn't like the fact that POR sink doesn't have a counter, but a narrow ledge above the sink(which doesn't hold too much in the way of toiletries!) I did not care for the check-in system at CBR....a separate building from the "main building (pool area/arcade/shops,etc). As far as proximity to other locations at WDW, it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. Good luck with your decision! (BTW ~ if you do decide on CSR, I recommend the Cabanas because it's near everything!)

We have stayed at them all and keep coming back to Port Orleans, either FQ or Riverside, with the kids or just ourselves. FQ is a great size and the Boat to Downtown Disney is great (of course it also runs from Riverside). If we stay at Riverside, we stay in the Plantations area. But one extra draw for PO is the evening entertainment. Bob Jackson at the River Roost, several nights per week.

Happy Birthday in advance.

Artemus

buzz2001, franw, mkfan-pr, kimmar067, & artemus,

thanks for all the info and the birthday wishes! we still haven't made a decision, but it always helps to get different opinions. if anyone else has any more info/advice, i would love to hear it. thanks again for the help!

-jessica

CSR has a more "deluxy" feel and has a more adult atmosphere. That being said, the pool slide was so much fun!!! Better than AKL!

You have three distinct themes to choose from. It is now our fav mod!!!!!!

I have stayed at CBR and POR, so if I had to choose, I would stay at CSR because it would be different! :) CBR and POR were very nice resorts and since you have stayed at both, try CSR this time! :) I hope you have a wonderful stay! :)

I would vote CBR, and if you don't want that I would say PO Riverside... ONLY if you absolutely didn't think you could take advantage of a good deal on the Swan or Dolphin.

Hi,
The CBR would be my moderate choice. Just love the feel of the place. Very tropical!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter