Help with coffee maker for college, please!

pklein09

Winner DVC Trivia Contest April 2006
DS18 (my baby!) is headed to college. He can have a coffee maker in his dorm room, but he does not want a Keurig. We currently have a Coffee Ninja (refurbished from Amazon) at home.

He wants to use ground coffee and have the option to brew 1 cup at a time. I would like a non-glass carafe to eliminate breakage.

I am a tea drinker, so looking at all these coffee makers is crazy. Gone are the days of Mr. Coffee and percolators!

I don't want something huge because he will have to share the counter space with his roommate. His dorm room comes with a kitchenette area - small refrigerator, hung microwave, small sink, and granite counter top. (Nicer than my first apartment! And this is a freshman dorm!)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

This is what my son took, it worked well and his roomate bought a mug so they both could use it.
Link would not copy, black and decker brew and go from Walmart 14.97.
Im not sure if he knows his roomate yet but they shared what they brought so there was not doubles.
The other best advice i xan give you is instead of sending money use walmart pick up. I woul monthly buy a few things cleaning supplies his gel shampoo etc and a little snacks. He would just pick up the order. If i sent money it wouldnt cover what he needed and i found out he was going without.

How about an electric kettle if allowed. Can use the pour over method for coffee and can use it for other things as well like ramen, cup of soups, not chocolate, tea, etc..

My son just has a drip coffee maker that makes up to 5 cups at a time. It has a glass pot but he hasn’t broken it in 2 years of using it. It was inexpensive and it’s easy to clean. I’ll see if I can find a link

Thanks for all the replies! I will show these to my son and see if he has a preference.
:thanks:

DS18 (my baby!) is headed to college. He can have a coffee maker in his dorm room, but he does not want a Keurig. We currently have a Coffee Ninja (refurbished from Amazon) at home.

He wants to use ground coffee and have the option to brew 1 cup at a time. I would like a non-glass carafe to eliminate breakage.

I am a tea drinker, so looking at all these coffee makers is crazy. Gone are the days of Mr. Coffee and percolators!

I don't want something huge because he will have to share the counter space with his roommate. His dorm room comes with a kitchenette area - small refrigerator, hung microwave, small sink, and granite counter top. (Nicer than my first apartment! And this is a freshman dorm!)

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Can I ask why he doesn't want the Keurig? My dd has a Keurig, but she uses ground coffee in the reusable pod. She doesn't like the waste of the regular KCups.

No recommendations, but not many college dorms allow any type of heating appliance.

TVGuy, his school does. We checked. One of the other schools to which he was accepted did not allow any kind of heating appliance or refrigerator in their dorm rooms.

I offered DS a Keurig. We had one here at the house, had the permanent pod for ground coffee, and he's used it. He prefers the Coffee Ninja. Just like I prefer an electric kettle over a stove top kettle for my tea water.

OrangeBirdGirl, thanks for the suggestion! This seems to be what I had in mind.

TVGuy, his school does. We checked. One of the other schools to which he was accepted did not allow any kind of heating appliance or refrigerator in their dorm rooms.

I offered DS a Keurig. We had one here at the house, had the permanent pod for ground coffee, and he's used it. He prefers the Coffee Ninja. Just like I prefer an electric kettle over a stove top kettle for my tea water.

OrangeBirdGirl, thanks for the suggestion! This seems to be what I had in mind.
One College my son looked at even banned refrigerators and microwaves EXCEPT the microwave/refrigerator combo unit you could rent from the College. It was designed so the microwave and refrigerator would not be running at the same time to avoid overloading the electrical system in the dorm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter