Help with deciding our next possible contract

uramr

Jsdisneymom
Hello! We are looking for some advice from this group of experts before we purchase our next and (maybe) last contract. We are new to DVC this year and purchased as small point BLT contract direct from Disney before the change in points required occured and then a medium size BLT contract resale. Both are the same use year. We now have a case of addonititis and realized that we need another 75-100 points to use DVC as we would really like to and are torn between 3 options....all in the same use year.

1) Buy 75 more points direct so that we can give each of our children a contract with direct points
2) Buy 75-100 more points at BLT resale
3) Branch out and buy 75-100 points at eather VGF or BCV which are our 2 next favorite resorts.

We are so new to this and are just not sure what is the best option. Any experts out their willing to share their thoughts?? Thank you!

I'd choose 100 over 75. And I would suggest BCV to get another 11 month priority. And that location is going to be so desired with Star Wars Land opening. But contract life might be an issue. If you want longer life, I'd pick BLT again.

1) Buy 75 more points direct so that we can give each of our children a contract with direct points
You know your family situation and family members best, so this would be a tough one to weigh in on. That said, advice often heard on the boards is that buying in with the intention of passing it on to your heirs is a risky proposition because down the line, it’s hard to tell whether or not your kids will love Disney the way you do. It can be of little interest, which would force them to sell. Or it could even be a financial burden, which would force them to sell; all of this on top of dealing with probate and other more emotional issues, during such time.
3) Branch out and buy 75-100 points at eather VGF or BCV which are our 2 next favorite resorts.
Given the smaller point buy in and add-ons, my sense is that you’re stretching your points and staying in studios. If that is indeed the case, studios at VGF and BCV year round is a challenge. People have done it with stalking and wait lists, but an element of luck will need to come into play at these two particular resorts, unless you own there. And even then, at most times of year, this will require jumping on at exactly 8am 11-months out. For studios, standard VGF at 11-months is no guarantee. Additionally, 75-100 points on VGF charts get eaten up quick, depending on when you go, even for a studio.

You’ll get a lot more mileage out of those points at BCV each year. BCV contracts end in 2042, whereas VGF ends in 2064. For some people, they’d rather have 24 more years at BCV than 46 more years at VGF; different strokes.

Given you have a BLT contract, your Monorail/MK resorts are covered. Having an Epcot option may be a nice alternative. Given also that you know you love all those resorts, I would vote BCV, personally.

Hello! We are looking for some advice from this group of experts before we purchase our next and (maybe) last contract. We are new to DVC this year and purchased as small point BLT contract direct from Disney before the change in points required occured and then a medium size BLT contract resale. Both are the same use year. We now have a case of addonititis and realized that we need another 75-100 points to use DVC as we would really like to and are torn between 3 options....all in the same use year.

We are so new to this and are just not sure what is the best option. Any experts out their willing to share their thoughts?? Thank you!

I vote for BLT or VGF resale. Love the location of BCV. But it works out a lot more expensive than both BLT and VGF.

Something worth considering is that in 24 years' time, you should still be able to sell a BLT/VGF contract if you chose to (I'm not predicting current BCV/BWV level of performance), further reducing your cost per point. But the value of a BCV contract will be exactly $0.

My vote would be BCV. I don't know how old your children are, and whether there will be much time left on the contract for them to inherit (should they choose to). I also don't know your travel patterns, but if you like going to the Epcot area during popular times (e.g F&W), it would be so difficult to get a studio w/o home priority.

Although we're not currently in the market for a contract (trying so hard to convince DH that we need another one), I think our next one would also be an Epcot resort. (Riviera??) :) We also own at BLT for easy access to MK.

I you decide to go with a direct add-on, I would wait a little bit and see what happens with Riviera. If the Skyliner is a success, it will have easy access to two parks and the full lenght of the contract.
Be aware that if you title your add-on differently (to add the children), you'll have a different membership, this means it'll be a little more difficult to combine the points of the two contracts at 7 months. If you plan to always use it at 11 months it's a lesser issue.

If it were me - I’d wait and see if Riviera might be something you’re interested in before deciding.

Although we're not currently in the market for a contract (trying so hard to convince DH that we need another one), I think our next one would also be an Epcot resort. (Riviera??) :) We also own at BLT for easy access to MK.

I you decide to go with a direct add-on, I would wait a little bit and see what happens with Riviera. If the Skyliner is a success, it will have easy access to two parks and the full lenght of the contract.

Agree Riviera has the potential to be a great Epcot resort. We are not making a decision on direct add-ons until the gondolas are in operation and Riviera has opened.
If Disney offers some form of irresistible pre-launch incentive though…:hyper:

I would wait a little bit and see what happens with Riviera.
If it were me - I’d wait and see if Riviera might be something you’re interested in before deciding.
Agree Riviera has the potential to be a great Epcot resort.
I change my vote to the write-in candidate; too close to not consider.

4) Wait for Riviera details. It may be an Epcot VGF. Two dirds/one stone for the win.

I would wait until you have stayed at several resorts. We thought that we knew what we wanted and it turns out that what we thought was our favorite resorts weren't. Also having an MK resort and an Epcot resort has worked out well for us.

:earsboy: Bill

We own both BLT & BWV and love having the ability to stay at both MK & EC/HS areas on different trips. With that thinking, throw me in the camp of buying in the Epcot area. My advice on buying there is as follows:

*If Stormalong Bay is a must...buy BCV
*If Stormalong Bay is not a must...buy BWV (will be cheaper than BCV & standard rooms can stretch your points)
*If contract length is important...wait for Riviera to decide.

NO matter which way you go I think you'll be happy. Good luck!

I vote for BLT or VGF resale. Love the location of BCV. But it works out a lot more expensive than both BLT and VGF.

Something worth considering is that in 24 years' time, you should still be able to sell a BLT/VGF contract if you chose to (I'm not predicting current BCV/BWV level of performance), further reducing your cost per point. But the value of a BCV contract will be exactly $0.

*If Stormalong Bay is a must...buy BCV
*If Stormalong Bay is not a must...buy BWV (will be cheaper than BCV & standard rooms can stretch your points)
*If contract length is important...wait for Riviera to decide.

These two posts pretty much are what I am thinking. Our plan when buying in a year and a half ago, was always to have half our points at MK and half at EP for all the reasons stated here. And instead, we own about 40/60 BLT/VGF. How did that happen? I had a thread where we talked about all that (Riviera was too far out, timing wise, for us to consider), I can link it if you like, but in short we realized that VGF is our favorite resort, hands down, and contract length mattered to us. 24 years from now, DH and I would be looking at either going to WDW on our own more often, or downsizing and wanting to sell, OR (3rd option) deciding whether our girls might want some of our DVC. Mainly, we saw ourselves going for weekends just the 2 of us after we were retired. In those 24 years, there might be other options to come up in the BW area that might be appealing to us (Riviera is not terribly appealing to us), but figured we'd leave it to someone else to assume the risk, even if that means we'd have fewer options later, or more costly options later.

Another thing that we realized is that at least for the foreseeable future, we have a lot of Starwood points (from work travel and a credit card), which we can use at the Swan/Dolphin. Granted, it's not a villa, but it's close enough to a studio experience but with daily housekeeping that it is fine for when we want to stay in the EP/HS area and don't want to use our DVC points.

We are certainly not ruling out Riviera, but since we will likely be staying at the EP DVCs in 1BR or larger, and not during fall frenzy, we don't *have* to have 11 mo priority there. (Alternatively, we have 11mo priority at 2 pretty great resorts, so we could always figure out a swap or rent if we want to stay in something bigger than a hotel room.)

Also: 75-100 points at VGF doesn't do much. If you're staying at that $ level, I'd either add on at BLT or BWV. 11mo priority at BWV is necessary to get the standard villas.

In those 24 years, there might be other options to come up in the BW area that might be appealing to us (Riviera is not terribly appealing to us), but figured we'd leave it to someone else to assume the risk, even if that means we'd have fewer options later, or more costly options later.
I was hoping the rumored "Epcot Entryway" DVC was going to be the next DVC, but after the River Country permits popped up, it pushed the Epcot rumor out at least an additional two years (~2023?). There had been mumblings about a Yacht Club DVC, but with the convention center expansion, that rumor was laid to rest.

I'm still holding out hope for Riviera, but it does feel a little like the CCV equivalent to the Epcot area. Where it may have a lot to offer as a resort and is kind of close, but not BLT/BCV/BWV close. We'll see, I guess.

I was hoping the rumored "Epcot Entryway" DVC was going to be the next DVC, but after the River Country permits popped up, it pushed the Epcot rumor out at least an additional two years (~2023?). There had been mumblings about a Yacht Club DVC, but with the convention center expansion, that rumor was laid to rest.

I'm still holding out hope for Riviera, but it does feel a little like the CCV equivalent to the Epcot area. Where it may have a lot to offer as a resort and is kind of close, but not BLT/BCV/BWV close. We'll see, I guess.

I'm wondering whether they will offer to extend BWV/BCV 20 years from now, or let them all expire in 24 years, do a refurbishment, and sell as new DVC? Even if they convert all to hotel rooms, I guess we will have our answer. In any event, not a risk I need to assume right now. Will just wait and see what happens. We are accumulating SPG points faster than we can spend them, so that's our short term plan right now.

Both of our adult children aren't interested in owning DVC contracts. Our son doesn't really go to Disney anymore and our daughter only goes every few years. They both have other interests and enjoy other things more than Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

My son is 21 and twin girls are 19. He hasnt been in a while but does want to go back now that he can partake in drinks around the world. My girls make fun of all my disney trips planned but they like to be included once a year and have very strong opinions on where we stay and eat. They will enjoy using our points down the line but likely wont be thrilled to pay the dues. So we will keep and manage evrything but allow each kid X number of points a year. Or we all go together and get a few villas or a GV. DH and I also hope to sort of winter there when he retires. A few weeks in a 1BR. But we will be 69 in 2042 so we are okay with that expiration.

I'd wait and use it a couple of trips before proceeding. With banking/borrowing, you should be fine for a while Then, if you still want to proceed, I'd do some long range planning and look at where you need to be in 5-7 years then likely consider a cushion of 10-20% above your projected needs, more if you're looking at studios, lower seasons and/or cheaper views. You've already got MK covered with the BLT so I'd look at something that is either cheaper or gives you options. SSR & AKV come to the top of the WDW list for your situation but I'd be tempted to wait and see where Riviera ends up. You can always change your current qualified deed to include the rest of the family in question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!