help with food allergies

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
We just recently had allergy testing done on my son. He is ana for latex, so we thought his problems eating were from crosscontamination with latex. After the testing we realized he is allergic to so much more than latex.

I don't know where to start, or what variety to give him to eat. He is 13 years old, and hates veggies except corn and potatoes.

Here's what he was allergic to:

Corn, rice, soybean, wheat, egg white, chicken, shellfish (mixed), peanut, rye, grapefruit, bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon, string beans, lima beans, green pea, filbert, cabbage, turkey, fish (mixed), catfish, flounder, tuna, crab, lobster, oyster, clam, brazil nut, cashew nut, walnut, mustard, garlic, sesame, wintergreen

He was not allergic to:

milk, chocolate, orange, tomato, barley, hops, malt, apple, peach, pear (he hates), lemon, pineapple, strawberry, white grape, blueberry, raspberry, sweet potato (he hates), white potato, onion (he hates), broccoli (he hates), carrot (he hates), cucumber (he hates, unless it's a dill pickel), spinach (he only likes in dip, but usually there is garlic in the dips), lettuce (he hates), mushroom, beef, pork, salmon, shrimp and scallops (but there is good chance in time he'll be allergic to shrimp since he is allergic to other shell fish), black pepper, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

When he has an allergy to the food, his nose gets stuffy and runny, he gets stomach problems, and wheezy.

How do i get in contact with Brenda Bennett to find out about Disney dining. Usually when he is with us, we bring our own food.

If your concern is about dining at WDW with him then this should be moved to the other board - perhaps more answers there.

I find the search feature here to be useless or close to it. I can't pull up but 2 threads and neither have her # in it. Maybe someone else can post it.

You might note with Brenda whether your child could tolerate a mild exposure (like a "may contain" corn or peanut" or whether the slightest bit would cause a problem. Tons of things are off limits for my son just because is is allergic enough to peanut that we have to avoid the "may contains." Some people are not so allergic and can eat may contains without issues - the just have to avoid major exposures to the allergen (like not eating peanuts, peanut butter cookies, etc.). This will be a MUCH bigger issue if he is anaphylactic to the allergens you mention or has to avoid them 100%. If so it would be much more difficult to eat anywhere but the sit down restaurants.

My daughter is allergic to eggs and nuts. we always feel comfortable at Disney. When you make your dining reservations tell them, the chef will come to your table if you request and they will prepare something you can eat. Just bring the allergy list with you. Avoid buffets and counter service, buffets because of cross contamination and counter service just because of the lines and difficulty getting someone to help you-- They will help you but you will wait and hold up the line.

His peanut allergy was so bad, we have to avoid the may contain items too. He also had bad reactions to legumes, and tree nuts, same with soy.

We just recently had allergy testing done on my son. He is ana for latex, so we thought his problems eating were from crosscontamination with latex. After the testing we realized he is allergic to so much more than latex.

I don't know where to start, or what variety to give him to eat. He is 13 years old, and hates veggies except corn and potatoes.

Here's what he was allergic to:

Corn, rice, soybean, wheat, egg white, chicken, shellfish (mixed), peanut, rye, grapefruit, bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon, string beans, lima beans, green pea, filbert, cabbage, turkey, fish (mixed), catfish, flounder, tuna, crab, lobster, oyster, clam, brazil nut, cashew nut, walnut, mustard, garlic, sesame, wintergreen

He was not allergic to:

milk, chocolate, orange, tomato, barley, hops, malt, apple, peach, pear (he hates), lemon, pineapple, strawberry, white grape, blueberry, raspberry, sweet potato (he hates), white potato, onion (he hates), broccoli (he hates), carrot (he hates), cucumber (he hates, unless it's a dill pickel), spinach (he only likes in dip, but usually there is garlic in the dips), lettuce (he hates), mushroom, beef, pork, salmon, shrimp and scallops (but there is good chance in time he'll be allergic to shrimp since he is allergic to other shell fish), black pepper, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

When he has an allergy to the food, his nose gets stuffy and runny, he gets stomach problems, and wheezy.

How do i get in contact with Brenda Bennett to find out about Disney dining. Usually when he is with us, we bring our own food.

Here is Brenda's email address; Brenda.Bennett@disney.com
She will send you all the info you need and make sure you let them know about the allergies when you make your ADR's have it posted on all you dinner reservations. They will also give you the number to the resturants, call them and talk to the chefs they will do everything they can to make sure he has a safe meal.

I always carry safe snacks for my son he has a peanut/tree nut allergy.

Maria

Thanks.

Any suggestions on recipes to make at home. Too many prepared foods have wheat, soy, corn, peanuts, legumes, or tree nuts in them.

Sorry I don't. Have you tried any allergy boards? They are a great help. I go to peanutallergy.com try typing in allergy boards in yahoo or google.

Thanks for the peanutallergy.com site. It found a link on there to http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/index.php there are a couple snack items that are safe for him! Unfortunately, it seems for most products, that if they don't use wheat, then they use rice, and he's allergic to rice too :(

I also go to kidswithfoodallergies.org (Taylor, do you have the same screen name there? It sounds familiar to me, I'm Eliezrah over there). I buy a lot of mixes for things from www.allergygrocer.com. I was contacted by the Head Chef for Counter Service at AK about eating at counter service when we're there. We picked where we're going to eat and we figured out a menu together. I jsut have to tell them our name when we get there. Brenda helped me do that for coutner service at the other parks, so we're able to enjoy counter service as well. My son has so many allergies, though, that we have to have most of his food specially made.

As for things for your son to eat, have you tried going to Whole Foods or any other health food store? I find it much easier to shop there. Take him with you and let him pick out things that seem interesting. Maybe buy an allergy cookbook to get ideas of how to make things that are safe for him.

Thanks so much for the links and the suggestions. I'll have to do a search for a health food store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter