Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eeyore1928

<font color=FF99FF>Believer of Faith, Trust and Pi
Need advice. Last night my DH offered to take me and our very new 2 mo old to WDW for Christmas! I was so surprised! However I am a little worried about how it will be with her being so small and having to be fed every 3-4 hours. Also not to mention the flight with a plane change. What about stroller checking? We have a travel system with the car seat attachment and I would love to bring that...how would I do that? I would need the stroller, carrier and the base for the rental car!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I have two DDs one 6 years and one 2.75 years and I always found that the younger they are better the travel.
With the feeding it depends on if you a formula or breastfeeding. With my first DD I formula fed there were two ways I delt with it. One was have bottled water and a bottle with the powdered formula mesured out in a bottle and mix them...the problem is this gets messy. Or you could get some of these bottles which I had a swore by: http://store.babycenter.com/product/feeding/bottle_feeding/bottles_sets_and_systems/3675 . I also used to use ready mixed formula they sell it in ready to go bottles 4oz size and that makes it really easy and mess free. Just make sure to use bottled water when you travel for mixing up formula other water then you baby is used to can cause stomach problems. Feeding a small one is not that hard when you know all your options and you pick the best for you.
With my second DD I breastfed and well that is so easy I don't think I need to go into it. WDW has some awesome quite nursing stations that I just love useing.

With the plane flight you would need to decide if you want your little one to be a lap baby or have their own seat. I once again have done both. The one time I did a lap baby was when I wasn't sure if DD was going with me or not until the last minute. It was easy for feeding. And I checked the car seat part & base of the travel system and used the stroller in the airport and gate checked the stoller. The flight attendents do this all the time...they put a tag on your stroller and take it from you just before you get on the plane. It works well.

When I had DD having her own seat...I just checked the base with my luggage, gate checked the stroller and used the car seat in the airplane's seat. Which worked very welll also.

So all is very do-able. I would grab the chance to go at xmas, but if you are too worried about traveling with a two month old take your time and wait until you are ready. I am willing to answer any more questions if you have them.

I am assuming your baby will be about 3 months old at Christmas (congratulations by the way!). The smartest thing you could do is ask your pediatrician's advice on how they think the baby will take the stress of travel.

Personally, I'd wait until next year (my daughter was 15 months her first time). Your baby will be a little over a year and will enjoy it more and you'll be more comfortable doing things like travelling by then. By your signature, you can probably afford to miss a year (or maybe I'm just jealous ;) ). Besides, do you really want to push that big travel system around in WDW crowds?

If you decide to go, your baby will probably be fine (I'm no doctor so take my advice at your own risk), there's just more stuff to pack and carry.

I would recommend buying a seat on the plane for the infant so you can keep her in her car seat on the plane (make sure it is certified for airplanes too). Easier for you and safer for her. You can check the stroller at the gate just before you get on the plane and it will be waiting at the gate when you get off (although I've never done this with plane changes).

You'll have to take things on her schedule. Certainly no commando-style touring and you'll need a crib wherever you stay (available at all WDW resorts are Pack-N-Play style cribs). You'll also have to baby swap or miss out on some of the rides and shows.

Personally, as tough as it might be to turn it down, I think you'd all have a better time if you waited a bit before your daughter's first trip.

If you really MUST go, perhaps you can make it a short trip and have someone watch her while you go (although that can be unthinkable to new parents).

Just my two cents though.

Thanks for your input! I called the airline this morning to get her a seat held and the plane is sold out! UGH! I am still trying to decide...I have until 8 pm tonight...then our airline tickets are gone.

I say go for it...I find that babies are very portable...mine sure has been! Babies aren't that fragile...unless your child is sick, I don't see any reason why the trip wouldn't be doable. DS flew with us at about 2.5 months and was a complete angel...even with a connection each way, he didn't fuss a bit. Heck, most of the time he was asleep by the time the plane took off. Gotta love the "white noise" effect of jet engines.

1. Check your car seat owner's manual...you might not need the base. Most can be installed with or without the base. You might also want to check Consumer Reports for their safety ratings for your particular seat with and without the base. (they give ratings for both uses on seats they test)

2. Taking the stroller for the flight would be easy. You can gate check it at each flight. Just be prepared to take baby out of stroller and infant carrier at security...you'll have to put the stroller and carrier through the x-ray machine. (This is true almost all the time. Once when I was traveling with DS and no one else, they let me wheel the stroller through and they hand-checked it...but that was one time in 10...yes, my 1-yo has flown 10 times!)

Gate check works like this. At the gate, ask for a gate check tag. Sometimes they give them out before boarding; other times they give them out as you board. If you are on a small flight where you have to walk on the tarmac to the plane, you will likely get the tag at planeside and a gate attendant will take it. It will be waiting for you planeside when you land. If you are boarding via a jetway, you leave your stroller (folded with gate check tag on it) at the end of the jetway by the door. It will be waiting for you when you deplane...sometimes they even unfold it for you.

3. What travel system do you have? If you can manage, you might consider getting a Combi convenience series stroller. This is a very lightweight stroller that folds compactly yet has a bar that accepts all major brand infant carriers. They aren't very expensive, and much easier to deal with IMO than the average Graco/Evenflo/Century travel system stroller. You can find great deals on Combis at www.strollers4less.com or www.combistrollerstore.com. Look for models that have the "Perfect Match" attachment bar...these are the ones that work like travel system strollers.

If you go with the standard travel stroller AND you have a lot of luggage (as most people traveling with a small baby do!), be sure you rent a car that will hold all your luggage and your stroller.

4. Can you use a front carrier like the Baby Bjorn? If so, you might find this much preferable in the parks than a stroller at times. You have your hands free and baby can stay close to you and probably warmer. We loved our BB and were sad when DS eventually outgrew it.

I hope this helps! Good luck and happy travels!

Eeyore,
My Ds was 3.5 months old when we went to WDW this past January. I have to say, he was a perfect angel. He was a lap baby and he slept over half of the flight in my arms. I took a bottle on the plane with me and he took that fine. I even changed him in the airplane bathroom!!! Yes, there was even a baby changing ledge in our plane. I have the same kind of stroller system as you, and I pushed the baby in the car seat attached to teh stroller right up to the plane door. THen I left the whole thing there, unfolded, and they took it from there. When I got off of the plane, there is was, car seat connected, ready for the me and the baby. It was great. I didnt have to take a play pen either. I called All Star Movies and they had a free pack and play set up in our room. I requested a frige, so that was a help too. The one thing I do have to say one thing about those big stroller systems is that the stroller is bigger and rather heavy when taking it on and off the buses. But, it was just me, my mom and my 3 kids for most of the trip until hubby came down later in the week. We managed 3 kids, a stroller and lots of bags and stuff and we were fine. The baby was a gem in the parks. We never had to leave the parks and he was able to nap in the stroller. In fact, he slept very easily and often in the stroller. The baby centers were AWESOME!! Kitchens, changing rooms, feeding rooms, quiet dark nursing rooms with rockers, and a place to buy just about ANY thing you need or forgot. You are able to the baby on any ride that doesnt have a height restriction, so even at 3 months, he rode almost everything. The parent swap is also great for the big rides and you and your hubby can take turns riding them. We had the best time at WDW. The baby didnt hold us back from enjoying anything. He was soo good and we all just had a great trip. I am getting ready to head back to WDW with the kids and am rather dreading the flight with the baby who is now 13 months old. When I booked the flight months ago, I didnt think about him being able to walk now, and wanting down all the time. I tried to get him a seat so I can strap him in his car seat, and the seats are filled! You will have it made with a tiny baby!!! Wish me luck!! LOL!! Forget all your worries and go to Disney!!! You will be glad you did!!!!!!!!!!

:( Well..this trip was not meant to be. There were no rental cars left for our dates, no seats left on our plane to get her one, the seat price had gone up since we held them, no seat assignments were avail., and the thought of stopping every 3 hours to feed/change her (which takes a good 30 mins.) plus go to one of the baby stations seemed a little much over Christmas with the crowds being so large. I felt like it would be wait in line for 90 mins. for a ride then go feed her..and there begins a cycle. Plus being a new albeit paranoid Mom, I was just plain nervous about colds, crowds, flying, etc.

Thank you all so much for your input...and I will let you know when we do make plans to take our little DISNEY baby!

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Aimee...thanks to your post and a lot of talking with DH..the trip is back on!!!!! YEAH! We got our airline tickets back...and are staying at CSR or 7 nights Dec 21-28 !!! I am sooo excited. We are going to do the parks for 3 days and just relax and enjoy the resort and DTD the other time. I really want to thank you all for your support! I will hopefully have a great trip report when we get back!:p ;)

I'm so glad you didn't get discouraged. We took our 3 week old DD (#2) to WDW this spring. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken, and very special for our 2yr old DD. My parents and aunt and uncle were there, and were a total blessing for us, we were so exhausted and they were so willing to help out. I survived a combination of nursing and bottle feeding and thoroughly enjoyed myself. True there were some rides and shows we skipped, but just to be in a place that makes us feel so good helped ease the transition to being parents of 2 active little girls.

I think you will have a great time and all the above suggestions are great. Only one thing I could add is wearing baby in a sling or snugli, I prefer a Sling. Go to your local baby store and try a few with baby - you will love it.

TJ

I think you will have a great time.

The sling/snugli is a great idea. (I had the snugli) This way if it is nap time you won't have to take her in & out of a stroller. She can just be close to mom or dad during that time.

Have fun.

Just remember to be flexible! Don't assume you can only change baby in the restroom, or only feed her in a baby care area.

You can discreetly feed and even change a baby that tiny while you wait in line. Strategically draped blankets can create instant private space. Works well for keeping strangers from getting to close to the baby. Clothespins or safety pins can keep a blanket secured over your shoulder for nursing, or fastened to the stroller.

Don't forget to put a few of baby's favorite toys in the diaper bag to help keep her entertained; even tho you'll be doing most of the playing ;) .

If it can be worked into the budget, you should consider having a sitting service (Fairy Godmothers' generally gets good reviews; there are others) for a few hours one evening so you and dh can have a special dinner or walk or something. It will be very special.

The front-pack idea is great. My kids always preferred the front-facing type, and I never could figure out the baby-sling, LOL. Whatever you think you want to use, try to get it as far ahead as possible, so you can get used to the way it works.
Where I live there are several "second-hand" stores that specialize in children's items. I have seen some good deals on front carriers; and they are generally in like-new condition.

Good luck & have fun!

I agree, don't confine yourself to the baby centers for changing and feeding the baby. We took DD 2.5 mo in August. I fed and changed her where ever she needed it. In fact, I only used the baby centers once when it was raining. As was pointed out to me by someone on this board, people have MUCH better things to do at WDW than watch you breastfeed and change your baby!!! My one piece of advice is to pack your diaper bag when you get to the hotel, then take half of what you put in there out and leave it in the room!!! My experience with new moms is that they pack everything but the kitchen sink in the diaper bag and then have to lug it around the park. One extra outfit is fine if you're staying on property. Worst case senario is that you have to go back to the room to get something, or buy what ever you need at the park. I took a smaller bag this past trip with DS 3.5 yo and DD 2.5 mo than on any other trip with just DS.
Good luck and what a great first Christmas memory for you and the little one!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter