Help!!!

ktglads

DIS Veteran
Okay, so this is me in a panic. We are leaving for our summer trip in a week and I had to go and break both bones in my lower leg over the weekend. I really don't know what I need to do and what things I need to change. I have the following reservations airline tickets (emergency exit row), disney cruise, POFQ, and the Portofino Bay resort. I am renting a wheelchair here in Buffalo since I will be on crutches. I cannot go very far on the crutches so the chair is needed. Do I need to get anything like a doctor's note? I do not gave a cast, just some bandages from the incisions from the screws and metal rod that they put in.

Any advice for a disney veteran who has never been in a wheelchair? Please help!

Welcome to disABILITIES

First of all talk to your airline. When you call them, ask for the Special Services Desk; most reservationists will not be able to handle everything. More than likely you will not be able to use the exit row seat. Also you will probably need to have then arrange for a wheelchair at all airports. Depending on the type of cast, you might be able to get by with a bulkhead seat by you might have to upgrade to First Class to get the needed legroom.

Next call the cruise agency (or DCL if you reserved direct). You might need to change to an accessible cabin. You and the cruise agent should be able to work things out.

If you will need an accessible room at POR, call WDW Special (Medical) reservations at 407-939-7807. They can guarantee what would otherwise only be a request. I don't know who to call at Portofino Bay (Universal).

While you are at WDW and Universal I would suggest renting an ECV from an off-site company. Note that with the off-site rentals you can get an optional crutch holder, also you can start at one hotel and end at another, as long as the rental company knows. Below is a list for the Orlando area. As far as from Port Canaveral, I think there is another company that handles that area. If you will be having the cruise in the middle with POR and PB on either side, and you are using the DCL bus, you can take the ECV you rent with you. Note that for the off-site rentals the prices start at $30 per day, cap at about $199 for a week, and then drop down to about $25 per day after that.

Walker Mobility:
888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
407-856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Randy'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
http://randysmobility.com
407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
800-747-0246

ScootAround
http://www.scootaround.com
Toll-free, US and Canada 888-441-7575

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

If you are in a cast, you might want to have the person who puts it on you draw a line with a marker where it will be sawn off. Then bring a "Sharpie" type marker pen with you and have the Characters sign the cast. Warn them when signing to not cross the line. After the cast is removed you will have an interesting souvenier.

I hope these help. If you have more questions, please ask as most of us have experience with similar problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter