By "bag check," I mean that you have to surrender the item from you control - purse, backpack, shopping bag, etc. - and allow the security CM to rummage through it. Up until this visit we are currently on (which began this past Saturday morning at WDW/HS rope drop), Mrs. wabbott's backpack was physically searched every time we entered a park, either here or at DLR/DCA.

In her backpack, she usually keeps our rain ponchos, a battery backup, suntan lotion. women's makeup items, a clutch (wallet) with cash and credit cards.

As I noted upthread, prior to this visit, we have been to WDW and DLR/DCA a total of 8 times:

2019: WDW 1x, DLR/DCA 1x
2020: WDW 1x
2021: WDW 1x, DLR/DCA 2x
2022: WDW 1x
2023: DLR/DCA 1x

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

By "bag check," I mean that you have to surrender the item from you control - purse, backpack, shopping bag, etc. - and allow the security CM to rummage through it. Up until this visit we are currently on (which began this past Saturday morning at WDW/HS rope drop), Mrs. wabbott's backpack was physically searched every time we entered a park, either here or at DLR/DCA.

In her backpack, she usually keeps our rain ponchos, a battery backup, suntan lotion. women's makeup items, a clutch (wallet) with cash and credit cards.

As I noted upthread, prior to this visit, we have been to WDW and DLR/DCA a total of 8 times:

Thank you for clarifying. Most likely if those items that could set off the scanners for a secondary check are:
- battery bavkup
- clasp/hinge on her clutch

Thank you for clarifying. Most likely if those items that could set off the scanners for a secondary check are:
- battery bavkup
- clasp/hinge on her clutch
Except for that HAS NOT happened in the four park entries total on the trip we are currently on. The scanner hasn't triggered on her a single time. We're about to go to EPCOT today, which is the only park we've not yet visited.

Except for that HAS NOT happened in the four park entries total on the trip we are currently on. The scanner hasn't triggered on her a single time. We're about to go to EPCOT today, which is the only park we've not yet visited.
Possibly the scanners have been enhanced to better detect certain items? We don't really know. Hopefully that is the case so that your wife does not need to take the time to have her bag checked.

For others, if you find you requires a secondary check, hold items that can set off the scanners in front of you. We find this works very well. My DD and I both do this with our eyeglasses case as the hinge sets off the scanners.

In the video below you can hear the scanner beep both for my DD and myself but due to us holding the items in front of us we can proceed without going to secondary bag check as you can see the security officer who is viewing the security screen to nod her through. This has worked very well for us for numerous trips.

That's not our experience. Totally agree about the complete disaster of MK, but DHS is the only one that just lets you go get in line for your first ride as soon as you scan in. There's no jocking for space/spots etc. IG of Epcot is probably the next most pleasant, but unfortunately once the move you from the "lineish" they have right after you scan, they again just have a huge blobbed of ppl. waiting to make the walk to Remy and it's ppl. toying to get in front of others they were clearly behind coming into the park, but since there's no line it's just whoevers the most aggressive. I much prefer just walking to the line and whatever spot I get it's due to my walking speed.
There the difference. Hs people just all out sprint. So say we are front of tap so we should end up being like first car if everyone walks like human beings. But they let u go and you got kids running full blow. They get up to the front and then the whole party jumps up. Not always but a lot. We end up getting there pretty close but sometimes a bit back. Epcot back if we are front say 20 we end up really close to that spot cause they keep it tight. More control. I like the micro managing.

Side note they got to do something about the “kids” getting spots and then everyone plus grandma and third cousins hopping in. At Disney you actually can gauge where we have come as humans. It’s kinda sad. We did a lot of people watching this past trip cause we just aren’t in a hurry. We are up at 5 for work for 25 years now so we rope drop just cause. I get up to fish between 2-4 all summer so we just don’t sleep it seems so we just go. It’s interesting anymore. I mean people are in a hurry for everything. We saw some really weird hurry for no reasons this trip.

There the difference. Hs people just all out sprint. So say we are front of tap so we should end up being like first car if everyone walks like human beings. But they let u go and you got kids running full blow. They get up to the front and then the whole party jumps up. Not always but a lot. We end up getting there pretty close but sometimes a bit back. Epcot back if we are front say 20 we end up really close to that spot cause they keep it tight. More control. I like the micro managing.

Side note they got to do something about the “kids” getting spots and then everyone plus grandma and third cousins hopping in. At Disney you actually can gauge where we have come as humans. It’s kinda sad. We did a lot of people watching this past trip cause we just aren’t in a hurry. We are up at 5 for work for 25 years now so we rope drop just cause. I get up to fish between 2-4 all summer so we just don’t sleep it seems so we just go. It’s interesting anymore. I mean people are in a hurry for everything. We saw some really weird hurry for no reasons this trip.
This reminds me of how MK's rope drop operated many years ago. In the 80s, a ton of people would mass behind an actual rope and then make an insane sprint to Space Mountain the moment CMs pulled the rope back. Some people whom you wouldn't expect to have a lot of running ability were surprisingly talented. Disney modified park opening procedures to stop this kind of stuff, but I guess there is still room for improvement.

EPCOT entry ok for me this morning @ international gate, but DW's magic band wouldn't scan.

Presently stalled on Spaceship Earth, and about to descend stairway to exit.

EPCOT entry ok for me this morning @ international gate, but DW's magic band wouldn't scan.

Presently stalled on Spaceship Earth, and about to descend stairway to exit.
All the guests got LL returns for the day, it appears. And we got to see some of the innards of the attraction not usually visible!

All the guests got LL returns for the day, it appears. And we got to see some of the innards of the attraction not usually visible!
Was the LL you received as compensation for the ride breakdown good for all Genie+ rides? If not, do you remember which ones it was not good for?

WDW started implementing this updated system rather than the manual bag check in 2020 with Disney Spring. It then moved to AK and eventually every park. You probably experienced it during your 2021 and/or 2022 trip. The only time a bag is now manually checked is if someone sets off the machine or refuses to walk through one (medical reasons).

https://blogmickey.com/2020/07/mass...disney-world-theme-park-bag-check-experience/

DLR does not use this system.

Are crowds this week just unbelievably good? I've been tracking wait times from home and can't believe it. FOP is currently 15 minutes. Tron still has VQ availability at 3:48pm. Safari is 5 min. Tower is 30 mins. Pirates is 5 and Thunder is 20. Just nuts! So jealous I am not there...and I will have school aged children for 5 more years...then I can finally visit on slow weeks again!

Are crowds this week just unbelievably good? I've been tracking wait times from home and can't believe it. FOP is currently 15 minutes. Tron still has VQ availability at 3:48pm. Safari is 5 min. Tower is 30 mins. Pirates is 5 and Thunder is 20. Just nuts! So jealous I am not there...and I will have school aged children for 5 more years...then I can finally visit on slow weeks again!

Couldn’t agree more. We were there about a month ago. Couldn’t even walk around. Just masses of people everywhere. I saw a couple live streams earlier at Hollywood studios and magic kingdom and thought boy I wish I was there now. So much open space. I think next visit I’m going to take my nephew out of school and try for end of January beginning of February. Hopefully between a couple holidays it won’t be bad.

We here this week. Very moderate crowds and good weather. Tstorms tomorrow, tho.

Late yesterday after our O'Hana dinner, we popped back into the MK to catch a few rides, as the crowd level was fairly low. The magic band scanner refused to pick up the code, as did the finger scan. A CM with a pad had to reset my code but not Mrs. wabbott's.

This morning at AK, both band and finger scans, but no bag check.
Just catching up here and wanted to say we were at MK on Monday and 'Ohana as well!

The crowds are amazing this week! We went to MK on Monday, bought Genie+ but didn't need it. Overall went on 21 attractions. I got VQ group 10 for Tron and when we were called (right away) we walked on with no one in the line at all! At the platform there were 3 people getting on and we asked to wait for the next ride to go on the first car. Yesterday we went to HS, also bought Genie+ but didn't really need it. We did MMRR twice, TSM twice, Slinky twice, muppets, Rise (ILL), Millenium Falcon, TOT twice, saw Indy, had dinner at Mama Melrose and left the park at 5:15. Today we went to AK just to ride safari and see the baby elephant. Only a 20 minute wait at 9:30. Crowds were very small too. We weren't interested in riding anything else or seeing shows but seemed like lines were short. Everest was down most of the morning though. We then went to Disney Springs and the line at Gideon's was only 15 minutes long! Heading to Epcot tomorrow. Hope our luck continues.

Can somewhat confirm that crowds were great today. Not me but my sister is currently at MK and she has been able to do a ton of rides despite not buying Genie+. She rode Space Mountain twice with each wait being 10 minutes or less despite the posted wait time being 25 minutes.

Can somewhat confirm that crowds were great today. Not me but my sister is currently at MK and she has been able to do a ton of rides despite not buying Genie+. She rode Space Mountain twice with each wait being 10 minutes or less despite the posted wait time being 25 minutes.
That is accurate. We here all week, and crowds low in all the parks.

They were amazingly light Wed - Thur morning for us, busy-ish Fri, very busy Fri night & thick by Sat. We took today off. Fri was hard to gauge because it was DHS for us and ROTR was down until after lunch. So far no regrets about the dates we chose!

ETA- no changes in bag check or ticket/finger print process vs my trips over the last couple years

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter