Hey Print Pros

jimim

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

We have some larger prints of our kids from a studio in our area. They have been in business for over 80 years. Very very well respected and are known for their prints. They are just awesome.

I'm trying to figure out how they do their prints. The ones we have are not under glass. They aren't canvas. They feel plastic when u tap them. They have a texture but it's not noticeable unless you touch them. It's one of the things I love about them. So my question for you guys is, and i know this is not a ton of info, but was hoping you all can give me some direction to get my prints similar.

I want to do a whole wall in my basement with larger prints of our trips.

I have asked them about their prints in the past. Obviously they don't want to give away their secrets, but she did mention they laminate the prints after they r mounted? The print doesn't feel like it's mounted on foam board or mat board. Could it be styrene? It feels plastic. If they laminate them in-house is it a spray or a physical material that covers the pic to give it the texture. But again you don't see the texture unless on top of it. it removes all glare fro the print at all angles.

any help would be awesome. I have access to white house custom color for my prints.

Thanks!

jim

Are you sure about the plastic bit? Are the colors really vibrant? Sounds suspiciously like aluminum. If so, yes, I'll bet they look good. Done right, metals print are an amazing thing. Not the cheapest though (compared to a 1.99 Costco 8x10). But not break the bank either.

deff not metal. they r portrait shots so the colors are just very natural. deff not over saturated or more vibrant.

Hmmmm. Second guess might be FujiFlex Crystal Archive HD Photo Paper. Some shops do an acrylic mounting that might give the impression of plastic. But still requires a special laser printer to output.

that's kinda what i was thinking. plastic mount with a diff paper or a laminate over the print

i ended up ordering 4 different prints from WHCC. one is coated the other 3 aren't. i got all 4 mounted on styrene. the other 3 are a smooth matte, velvet, and torchon (a thicker paper they recently added).

we will see. i got them all as 8x12. hopefully large enough to see what i think. I couldn't justify spending over 100.00 for 4 prints that i'm just testing. 8x12 was the largest i could go keeping the cost down.

jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts