HHI LOVERS THREAD

The owner of the former Steamer Seafood owns a restaurant here in our city. We spoke to him Sunday, and he said he is hoping to reopen his restaurant this fall. It has been closed since Hurricane Michael.

Also, can anyone tell me about Fishcamp on Broad Creek? We are thinking of trying it out this fall.
We visited Fish Camp last summer, and it wound up being one of our favorite spots that trip. It's on our list again when we visit in a few weeks. Service - Superb. One of the friendliest and most attentive servers we've had. Food - Fresh seafood. Commendable selection in their raw bar, and the items we ordered were expertly prepared. My wife actually found a pearl in one of her oysters! Locale - Nice views especially outside seating. Plentiful overhead fans. Drinks - Nice wine selection. Not much into mixed drinks or beer, so no help there.

Do you have to pay to get into that area first? Sea Pines?

It's off Pope Avenue (I think that's the name)-Executive Park Road? I remember we had a hard time finding it once because our map app had it spelled wrong. But it's worth the trip! Just do not expect fancy-think plastic tablecloths and paper towels.

"Also, can anyone tell me about Fishcamp on Broad Creek? We are thinking of trying it out this fall. "

We ate at the Fishcamp after a Gullah tour on the Friday before Mother's Day. It was busy, but we were able to get a table without a reservation. The food was delicious! I had shrimp and grits and my spouce had stuffed flounder. Both were ssooo good. We plan to eat there again on our next visit.

"Also, can anyone tell me about Fishcamp on Broad Creek? We are thinking of trying it out this fall. "

We ate at the Fishcamp after a Gullah tour on the Friday before Mother's Day. It was busy, but we were able to get a table without a reservation. The food was delicious! I had shrimp and grits and my spouce had stuffed flounder. Both were ssooo good. We plan to eat there again on our next visit.
Sounds delic! Looking forward to trying it in September!

Question about refillable mugs at HHI: is everyone on the reservation required to buy one as at WDW, or can we just get them for the kids? The adults aren't likely to use them anyway.

Also, can anyone tell me about Fishcamp on Broad Creek? We are thinking of trying it out this fall.

Fishcamp is really good. We've been there twice. If you are going during tourist season, definitely either make a reservation or go early. We've gone about 5:00 both times without a reservation and were able to be seated on the deck right away. My DH normally gets grouchy about eating outside, but they have big umbrellas over every table and fans, so it wasn't bad at all. The food was so delicious. It's a little pricier than the SERG restaurants, but totally worth it.

We're at HHI now and it's been as good as we anticipated. We're in a studio until tomorrow when we switch to a 2BR. I shucked a couple of dozen oysters for lunch today to go with our chilled wine. We've hit the pool, had Mickey waffles (thank god, still made to order), shopped a little, walked the beach with latte in hand early in the morning, walked to the shopping center that has Kroger, Starbucks, and numerous restaurants, watched fireworks from our balcony last night (two different locations, actually), had two very good meals (Fish Camp and Skull Creek) and one solid meal (Scott's Fish Market). As before, Skull Creek continues to please us. Though we got there at 4:45 this afternoon, the line was tremendously long and nearly every parking spot taken. However, we found two seats at the bar, so we were seated and drinking within 10 minutes of arriving. Others were not so lucky. And, of course, the CMs are the best anywhere. I can't say enough good things about them and their helpfulness and friendliness. Tomorrow, we're doing our own Low Country boil in the kitchen.

Has anyone tried Jazz Corner or Low Country Backyard Barbeque? They both sound fantastic.

We have visited Disney’s HHI Resort every Thanksgiving week since 2010. The resort and its CMs are the best of all the DVC resorts we’ve visited (and we’ve been to many). Both restaurants you mention are on our “must do” list every year.

The food and service at both is fantastic. There’s nothing like live jazz and TJC brings in fantastic acts, although my personal favorite is the local group Deas Guys. Be sure to make reservations in advance, if you want a seating for the first set. LCBB doesn’t take reservations, so go early or be prepared to wait a bit - and it is definitely worth the wait.

We have visited Disney’s HHI Resort every Thanksgiving week since 2010. The resort and its CMs are the best of all the DVC resorts we’ve visited (and we’ve been to many). Both restaurants you mention are on our “must do” list every year.

The food and service at both is fantastic. There’s nothing like live jazz and TJC brings in fantastic acts, although my personal favorite is the local group Deas Guys. Be sure to make reservations in advance, if you want a seating for the first set. LCBB doesn’t take reservations, so go early or be prepared to wait a bit - and it is definitely worth the wait.

Thanks! I was wavering on Jazz Corner. You've helped me to make up my mind.

Has anyone tried Jazz Corner or Low Country Backyard Barbeque? They both sound fantastic.

We ate at both! LCBB for lunch on our arrival day; food and service were great. I'm not a fan of jazz music, but the rest of my family is so I "took one for the team" and booked Jazz Corner. I loved the food and the music. Would definitely go again to both places.

(I didn't enjoy the music of the second set as much as the first set)

Make sure to say "Hi!" this year. We've been Thanksgiving regulars since 2006. But we haven't eaten at those "Must-Do" restaurants so maybe that's why we haven't met. We don't have any "must-dos". So many great restaurants-so little time (even though we have 12 nights).

We are at HH now, and have book the Daufuskie Island tour through the resort for tomorrow. I’ve always wanted to do this! Am very happy to hear you use a golf cart on the island.

We are at HH now, and have book the Daufuskie Island tour through the resort for tomorrow. I’ve always wanted to do this! Am very happy to hear you use a golf cart on the island.

Hi bobbiwoz: Please let us know what you thought about Daufuskie Island and if it's worth it. Will be at Disney HH next week and thinking about doing the tour, but didn't realize I could book it through the resort. How much was it? Booking on our own appears about $35 pp RT on ferry - then about $75. for golf car rental. Thanks in advance.

Maybe we passed you when we left! We did no tours opting to simply relax in the sun both at the resort proper and the beach. Oh, and we ate. . .a lot. ;)

Hi bobbiwoz: Please let us know what you thought about Daufuskie Island and if it's worth it. Will be at Disney HH next week and thinking about doing the tour, but didn't realize I could book it through the resort. How much was it? Booking on our own appears about $35 pp RT on ferry - then about $75. for golf car rental. Thanks in advance.
I THINK the cost was $80 per person, and we did tip our Captain/guide. He was excellent. I do not think I would get much out of the trip to the Island without having some narration. Disney did drop off and pick up by the outfit which was in the Shelter Cove Marina.

I think you are sure to see dolphins!

The tour takes you to the mostly undeveloped part of the island. There’s an abandoned golf course, abandoned resorts. There are cottages for rent, and at the boat dock we met a family of three who had rented something for a few days. They remarked how great it was to be the only family on the beach when they could look across the sound and see hundreds of people on the beach in Hilton Head.

The Historical society is trying to restore some of the original homes, often called “Heir” cottages because legally as owners passed nothing was done, so there may be 50 more individuals who “own” it.

I asked about what percent of the land is owned by descendants of the freed people, the answer I got is maybe 5%.... so except for those homesteads, the church, cemeteries and school, I imagine eventually it will look just like HHI. Someone probably with enough money will develop it and get people to come.

Part of the island already has estates. About 25 children of middle school and higher grades go by ferry to the schools in HHI.

There’s a bald eagles nest in the abandoned golf resort, we saw magnificent Sandhill Cranes flying.

I got a lot out of the tour, and Tom thought it worthwhile as well!

FA08ED17-9052-4F73-8D15-7868FFC44CB0.jpeg56274C04-27EB-4A7A-9B08-0DFF5EFD7333.jpeg26B229F5-1CD8-4263-AD9E-DD6649B29289.jpeg677CEFEA-2BCF-44A8-9C2D-10E5EED58FEA.jpeg

Last edited:
I THINK the cost was $80 per person, and we did tip our Captain/guide. He was excellent. I do not think I would get much out of the trip to the Island without having some narration. Disney did drop off and pick up by the outfit which was in the Shelter Cove Marina.

:flower3:
Sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter