HI versus VB

njmeisje

DIS Veteran
Have some of you vacationed at both Hilton Head and Vero Beach resorts? Do you prefer one over the other? Can you compare/contrast them? Are they very different types of vacations? Or was one simply closer?

Thanks
Diane

Have some of you vacationed at both Hilton Head and Vero Beach resorts? Do you prefer one over the other? Can you compare/contrast them? Are they very different types of vacations? Or was one simply closer?

Thanks
Diane

We've done both. I think they are totally different. IMHO, HHI is not a great beach destination, but it is a great family-friendly resort. There are plentiful activities, tons of wildlife, bike rentals and bike paths, and lots of shopping/dining/movies/etc. in the surrounding area and the beach is gentle enough for small children. There are lots of recreational activities. There are two pools.

VB is very much a beach resort. The ocean is visible from the balcony and the waves get wild enough to surf. There is an almost immediate, sharp drop-off, heavy shell deposits and very strong waves - which will likely make the water too much for smallish children, but heaven for older kids who can body surf/skim board/boogie board and adults. There is also a pool. There's not much to do in the surrounding area.

I prefer VB because I like my beaches wild and natural and I just want to spend all my time walking or sitting by the ocean, but HHI may be better for families with small kids/golf/shopping.

We just got back from HHI and it was beautiful. Weather was perfect with a cool breeze and the resort is very relaxing. Beach was very nice and clean and you can take a shuttle there from the resort. Beach house and pool were great. Lots to do for children and adults. Vero Beach is right on the ocean which is great and also a very beautiful resort. We are lucky to be able to visit both this year. :banana:

My Pros for HH are that there are so many GOOD restaurants nearby, people tend to either go to the beach or the pool so not as much seat saving for an entire day while people are down at the beach at Vero, like the difference in the marsh and beach. They have some great cast members in recreation! The con is that for us it is more difficult to get to.

Pros for Vero easier to get to and it is nice to split a trip between WDW and Vero. Saturday and Friday night points aren't so "expensive". The best cast members at any DVC resort! Cons - have to drive for good food and a much quieter retirement community.

We belong at both and go to both at least once a year - no vacation to Vero or HH is a bad vacation!:love:

We've done both. I think they are totally different. IMHO, HHI is not a great beach destination, but it is a great family-friendly resort. There are plentiful activities, tons of wildlife, bike rentals and bike paths, and lots of shopping/dining/movies/etc. in the surrounding area and the beach is gentle enough for small children. There are lots of recreational activities. There are two pools.

VB is very much a beach resort. The ocean is visible from the balcony and the waves get wild enough to surf. There is an almost immediate, sharp drop-off, heavy shell deposits and very strong waves - which will likely make the water too much for smallish children, but heaven for older kids who can body surf/skim board/boogie board and adults. There is also a pool. There's not much to do in the surrounding area.

I prefer VB because I like my beaches wild and natural and I just want to spend all my time walking or sitting by the ocean, but HHI may be better for families with small kids/golf/shopping.

We just got back from HHI and absolutely loved it. We loved it for the wildlife. Starbox is right... HHI in our book is not a beach resort, but rather a wildlife resort. I love the beach and the wild ocean.... so HHI will likely only be on our agenda once every few years, but we will definately be going back.

Here is my trip report from our stay at HHI. It was magical all in all.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1480337

Hey Starbox... tropical storm Barry came through the day we arrived.... so I got some decent waves on that first day... The rest is in my report. I know you all had a great time. I'm sure you now starting to plan the next trip. We are.

I would echo the comments already made for HHI vs. VB.

The most striking difference for us was the easier access of VB. It wins hands down on access since we must fly into our vacation spots due to DH's limited time off work. We arrived at Savannah for a long drive to HHI vs. a couple of hours from Orlando (due to traffic from the shuttle launch).

We kayaked at both resorts and I have to admit the HHI kayak trip was superior to the one @ VB. With HHI, you walk over to the departure point but you have to take a 30 minute van ride for the VB departure point. Not much wildlife to see at VB compared to HHI. DS spotted a bald eagle at HHI and the kayak leader got all excited. Said he would be calling in the Parks & Wildlife department and they would have to close that small area until they could take the eagle.

Many of the same craft activities.

For us, I doubt we will return to HHI but we would love to visit VB sooner vs. later!

My family absolutely loves both resorts. I think the CM's at both places are wonderful. Dining options at HHI are plentiful, but VB has on site sit down restaurants. We have been to HH three times (I think) and VB three times. My kids like the family bike rides at HH and it's such a family oriented place. But the beach access and pool at VB are a favorite as well. It's funny, which ever one we decide to go to - we feel sad that we won't be visiting the other. We just have relaxing, family time at either place and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I can't add much more than already has been said, but my opinion. We've been to Vero four times, and HHI twice. I like both, but Vero slightly wins out for me and my family. Basically it comes down to the beach being so close versus HHI. With that said I love the beach at HHI. For my 5 and 1.5 year old a calm beach was great, but as they get older I'm sure they will love the Vero beach better. We hope to be making our fifth trip to Vero next summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter