Hidden disabilities - Sunflower lanyard

I just thought maybe we could introduce the the sunflower land yard to help make a difference to Disney guests who happened to have disabilites. Sorry for asking. My bad.

I just thought maybe we could introduce the the sunflower land yard to help make a difference to Disney guests who happened to have disabilites. Sorry for asking. My bad.
Nothing wrong with asking -- no worries! Now you know. As pp have said, if you have any issues or difficulties at WDW, don't hesitate to ask a CM for assistance. CMs will be glad to help you if you let them know what it is that you need.

Nothing wrong with asking about the lanyard. I think several (most) of us are somewhat confused what is the expected "outcome" of CMs recognizing the lanyard. At best, I envision someone wears the lanyard and a CM asks "do you need assistance with anything?" Is that what happens in the U.K.? As mentioned, the CMs at WDW will do what they can to assist with any needs when requested.

Coincidentally, I just saw a message from a colleague who has started a website a year ago to inform people about 'flying with autism', and he used the sunflower keycord to draw attention to it. He worked with several big companies, like the national airline & airport, but also supermarkets to inform them about the keycord and what it means.
It originates in the UK, and my colleague brought it to the Netherlands.

If you would like to bring this symbol to the US, I would suggest contact charities or organizations that work with people with hidden disabilities and ask what they think of this and how this could help you. Maybe you, or the charities & organizations, can spread the word and talk to companies like airlines & Disney to get it recognized in the US as well.

Coincidentally, I just saw a message from a colleague who has started a website a year ago to inform people about 'flying with autism', and he used the sunflower keycord to draw attention to it. He worked with several big companies, like the national airline & airport, but also supermarkets to inform them about the keycord and what it means.
It originates in the UK, and my colleague brought it to the Netherlands.

If you would like to bring this symbol to the US, I would suggest contact charities or organizations that work with people with hidden disabilities and ask what they think of this and how this could help you. Maybe you, or the charities & organizations, can spread the word and talk to companies like airlines & Disney to get it recognized in the US as well.

The US already uses the colored puzzle-pieces pattern for autism awareness. Adding another pattern would be redundant, IMO. Also, is the sunflower pattern for all hidden disabilities or just autism?

The US already uses the colored puzzle-pieces pattern for autism awareness. Adding another pattern would be redundant, IMO. Also, is the sunflower pattern for all hidden disabilities or just autism?
I am not an expert, but as I understand my colleague's website it is for all hidden disabilities. It can also be PTSD or being deaf.

He just started with autism, as he is the father of a child with autism. Plus he works for customer care of our national airline, where he handled many complaints related to flying & autism. From there he started his website to share tips and experiences for flying. One way to make it easier to have something recognizable for people working at the airport, at customs etc.

One way to make it easier to have something recognizable for people working at the airport, at customs etc.

As someone who has worked in hospitality in the past, my issue with the lanyard is that if it's for all hidden disabilities, it doesn't really give me any guidance on what, if any, additional assistance a guest might need. A deaf guest will have different needs from an autistic guest, who will have different needs than a PTSD one and so on (even guests with the same disablity may handle it in different ways). Even if a guest has a visible disability, I can't assume what all their needs may be. For example, they may need to use elevators, but don't need a handicapped accessible room.

I hate to put the onus on the guests to convey their needs, but with such a diversity of needs out there, it's presumptuous to guess what the needs may be.

As someone who has worked in hospitality in the past, my issue with the lanyard is that if it's for all hidden disabilities, it doesn't really give me any guidance on what, if any, additional assistance a guest might need. A deaf guest will have different needs from an autistic guest, who will have different needs than a PTSD one and so on (even guests with the same disablity may handle it in different ways). Even if a guest has a visible disability, I can't assume what all their needs may be. For example, they may need to use elevators, but don't need a handicapped accessible room.

I hate to put the onus on the guests to convey their needs, but with such a diversity of needs out there, it's presumptuous to guess what the needs may be.
Wherever you work, the worst you can do in any business is make assumptions on what your customer needs. With all the experience in the world, you can still guess wrong.
When I used to work at a call centre, our trainer taught us: Never assume because then you make an as* out of u and me ;-)

I think the only thing you have to be is aware that this person MIGHT need extra attention. Whatever the symbol is, it doesn't mean that you must instantly know how to handle in each situation. I don't think people who use this keycord expect that. Even if it was just for autism, each person will react differently in each situation. There isn't a one size fits all with any disability.
I would suggest when you see this, or any other symbol, is just to ask if there is anything you can do to help. Whatever the answer is, you know what this person would need for their service.

Wherever you work, the worst you can do in any business is make assumptions on what your customer needs. With all the experience in the world, you can still guess wrong.
When I used to work at a call centre, our trainer taught us: Never assume because then you make an as* out of u and me ;-)

I think the only thing you have to be is aware that this person MIGHT need extra attention. Whatever the symbol is, it doesn't mean that you must instantly know how to handle in each situation. I don't think people who use this keycord expect that. Even if it was just for autism, each person will react differently in each situation. There isn't a one size fits all with any disability.
I would suggest when you see this, or any other symbol, is just to ask if there is anything you can do to help. Whatever the answer is, you know what this person would need for their service.

I suggest that if people need assistance due to a disability, they ask for it.

Orlando International Airport announced today on their Facebook page that their staff is now trained to recognize the sunflower lanyard. https://orlandoairports.net/site/uploads/Hidden_Disabilities_Flyer.pdf

Glad they put the disclaimer that you still need to actually ask for help. Otherwise, what if you are just wearing a sunflower patterned lanyard (or pin, what if you don't like things around your neck?) because you like sunflowers? I guess I really don't see the point behind these "secret' signs (like the rainbow puzzle stuff for autism) - they are fraught with misconceptions, at the least.

It sounds like the staff don't really do anything different if they see someone with that lanyard. It just says that they should be "understanding" if additional help is needed. I mean, isn't that what the staff does anyway? Help someone that needs it. So it basically does nothing to wear the lanyard. I don't know what people are expecting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!