Hidden food dyes at WDW

GusGus77

DIS Veteran
For those who have to avoid artificial food coloring, where is it hidden in foods at the parks that we would not think of? If I remember right, the popcorn is not safe (because of the popcorn salt.) I cannot remember about dole whips...
Obviously if it looks like there is coloring it is artificial dye, just trying to remember the hidden things that are not obvious since it has been a few years. (And even with it being Disney, asking if something contained artificial food dyes usually just confused the cast members.) Thanks!

I would visit this page: Special Dietary Requests at the Disney website. There is an email address there - contact them prior to your trip and see if they have any information for you.

Food coloring is a difficult allergy, as you already know. I hope that WDW will have some information for you that is helpful.

According to the manufacturer's website, the ingredients of the pineapple Dole Whip mix are:

Sugar, Dextrose, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Coconut Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of Each Of The Following: Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice Powder), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

Each location that sells food will have ingredient information available, often in an ingredient binder which contains copies of or copied information from the product labels. If you explain you have a food sensitivity it should kick in the same process they use for food allergies [about which much is written here on the Dis], which may be more than you want, but would get you ingredient information. When that label information is sufficient for your needs is a separate issue.

If I remember right, the popcorn is not safe (because of the popcorn salt).

Obviously if it looks like there is coloring it is artificial dye...

I've never heard of the popcorn salt issue. And we've been avoiding dyes since 2007.

Not actually that true anymore. More companies, Disney included, are using more natural colorings. I mean, I won't trust a cupcake (but most of those have gelatin anyway which we don't eat), but from what I recall reading recently even the colorful things in Pandora are natural dyes.

Starbucks uses natural dyes as well ( (even that unicorn drink was natural dyes).

So ask for the ingredient binder. You might be surprised.

I've never heard of the popcorn salt issue. And we've been avoiding dyes since 2007.

Not actually that true anymore. More companies, Disney included, are using more natural colorings. I mean, I won't trust a cupcake (but most of those have gelatin anyway which we don't eat), but from what I recall reading recently even the colorful things in Pandora are natural dyes.

Starbucks uses natural dyes as well ( (even that unicorn drink was natural dyes).

Most popcorn from vendors have yellow dye. It is not in the orange oil. It is in "popcorn salt." We discovered that the hard way.

The GLuten Free & Dairy Free at WDW website has pictures of the popcorn ingredients taken from the ingredient binder in 2016 [thus the info may no longer be current, but it gives an idea of the info available and if still valid what to expect]:

http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/popcorn-snacks/

The popcorn salt used is there too, and no color in it (only ingredients are salt and tricalcium phosphate). The only color is beta carotene in the oil.

As another poster noted, one may be surprised, lots of places are going to natural colors.

The binders are a valuable resource and are available by asking.

SW

According to the manufacturer's website, the ingredients of the pineapple Dole Whip mix are:

Sugar, Dextrose, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Coconut Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of Each Of The Following: Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice Powder), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

the part that would worry me is the "Natural and Artificial Flavor (contains pineapple juice powder) - that lists only a part of the natural and artificial flavor. What else makes up the Flavor? Contains means part of, not all of it. There could be dyes in the flavoring, and they aren't listed. Just like MSG isn't always listed - it gets covered by the same blanket listing.

the part that would worry me is the "Natural and Artificial Flavor (contains pineapple juice powder) - that lists only a part of the natural and artificial flavor. What else makes up the Flavor? Contains means part of, not all of it. There could be dyes in the flavoring, and they aren't listed. Just like MSG isn't always listed - it gets covered by the same blanket listing.

Contact the manufacturer and ask. http://www.precisionfoods.com/Foods...rve-Mix-Naturally-and-Artificially-Flavored-2 bottom of the page has their contact information.

A Chef at Crystal Palace told us about 2 years ago that the liquid egg mixture used all over Disney property contained food dye. Unless it is a fried, harboiled or poached egg it comes from the prepackaged egg mixture.

I hope to be surprised. :) Between artificial food coloring, which I need to avoid, gelatin (which as vegetarians we don't eat) and what I suspect will be a higher occurrence of HFCS than I am used to (and which I also need to avoid), I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy any special Disney desserts at all.

Why would you put gelatin in a cupcake? Yuck! Really, gelatin doesn't belong in cake or frosting.

Definitely avoid the Tye Died Cheesecake at POP Century, it is loaded with artificial colors.

I hope to be surprised. :) Between artificial food coloring, which I need to avoid, gelatin (which as vegetarians we don't eat) and what I suspect will be a higher occurrence of HFCS than I am used to (and which I also need to avoid), I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy any special Disney desserts at all.
Always ask what they are using for Gelatin, the cheaper places will most likely be using animal based gelatin, but the more expensive and/or non-Disney owned locations (pretty much all of World Showcase and Disney Springs is not Disney Owned) may actually be using vegetable based gelatin. Sprinkles cupcakes has a Vegan option, but it does have food coloring, you can see the entire ingredient list on their website at: http://sprinkles.com/cupcakes/flavors/vegan-red-velvet-cupcakes

More and more are indeed working to remove the artificial colors, so always ask and if it is in there, do us all a favor and say you would like for it to be removed, if color is important, it can be replaced with natural food coloring.

More and more are indeed working to remove the artificial colors, so always ask and if it is in there, do us all a favor and say you would like for it to be removed, if color is important, it can be replaced with natural food coloring.

I will definitely do that and thanks for the information. :)

I will definitely do that and thanks for the information. :)
No problem, personally I dont completely avoid artificial colors, but if there are two similar products and one uses artificial colors and the other doesn't, I will pick the one that doesnt, as I know they aren't good for you.

The only "hidden" dye I can recall coming across was in the turkey leg. Along those lines I might double check any of the QS/Snack grilled meats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter