High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

My DD just found out she received a Nursing Scholarship covering her tuition bill next year. She got it for having the highest GPA in her class. We are so proud of her !!
That is wonderful! My DD is a Nursing major, also, and those classes aren't easy! Congratulations to your daughter!

My son is still at the community college. He is taking 2 classes over the summer and now wishing he hadn't signed up for them! :-)

We are taking a trip out to California this summer to visit my parents and tour a couple of schools.

He still has at least another year of CC left, possibly longer as his AA degree is 70 credits and we really want him to finish before he transfers.

Been popping in to see what is posted here every so often. It has been interesting to see the comments of the different posters on the different experiences. We have had a little different one for our DS in the class of 2020. It has been a whirlwind 12 months for DS. He reported to school at the end of June 2016, we were able to talk to him for 5 minutes on the phone 2 weeks later, and then another 5 minute call a week after that. then, he was able to access facebook messenger and our main form of communication is messenger ever since. We were able to go visit him for his sporting events, but only got him off campus and into a hotel two nights, once during acceptance and the second at parents weekend. At the end of the first trimester, at the end of October he did have a week off, and then another 3.5 days at Thanksgiving. He came home for about 10 days at Christmas. He had a week at spring break, and we were able to swing it so we could run to Disneyland a couple days over that break, and then was home at the end of the third trimester for about 5 days this week, but is now back getting ready to work the class of 2021 which reports on Tuesday. 57.5 credits along with some classes that are required but not for credit, all successfully completed. Has moved rooms, and changed roommates 7 or 8 times. jammed a finger during the initial couple weeks, and had a slight concussion on the pitch, but otherwise healthy. Had a former USSR rocket scientist for physics 1 and 2, made it through calc 1 and 2 among others. Has learned how to fold his clothes, make his bed, sleep under his desk so as not to wrinkle the bed, hide his woobie during inspections, square corners, salute, march, run, memorize a little book, eat fast, shower faster, write and study by the light coming under the door after lights out, and, take oaths to the school and the country. Had good times and bad. Formed friends that will probably last a lifetime. And, in April was recognized and technically was no longer a plebe but fourth class. Learned that summer whites are much better for free stuff while traveling than dress blues, and that people like to do things while he is in the whites like buy lunch, give him vouchers, allow him into the airline clubs, jump ahead of nearly every line there is. He has learned that most people respect him, or at least the uniform, and he has learned to be humbled by that. Probably the most humbling was when we were ushered in through the families door at the 9/11 museum because of him. All in all, a pretty good year. some of the same trials as others have, some different, but, all conquered. Now onto third class year.

Been popping in to see what is posted here every so often. It has been interesting to see the comments of the different posters on the different experiences. We have had a little different one for our DS in the class of 2020. It has been a whirlwind 12 months for DS. He reported to school at the end of June 2016, we were able to talk to him for 5 minutes on the phone 2 weeks later, and then another 5 minute call a week after that. then, he was able to access facebook messenger and our main form of communication is messenger ever since. We were able to go visit him for his sporting events, but only got him off campus and into a hotel two nights, once during acceptance and the second at parents weekend. At the end of the first trimester, at the end of October he did have a week off, and then another 3.5 days at Thanksgiving. He came home for about 10 days at Christmas. He had a week at spring break, and we were able to swing it so we could run to Disneyland a couple days over that break, and then was home at the end of the third trimester for about 5 days this week, but is now back getting ready to work the class of 2021 which reports on Tuesday. 57.5 credits along with some classes that are required but not for credit, all successfully completed. Has moved rooms, and changed roommates 7 or 8 times. jammed a finger during the initial couple weeks, and had a slight concussion on the pitch, but otherwise healthy. Had a former USSR rocket scientist for physics 1 and 2, made it through calc 1 and 2 among others. Has learned how to fold his clothes, make his bed, sleep under his desk so as not to wrinkle the bed, hide his woobie during inspections, square corners, salute, march, run, memorize a little book, eat fast, shower faster, write and study by the light coming under the door after lights out, and, take oaths to the school and the country. Had good times and bad. Formed friends that will probably last a lifetime. And, in April was recognized and technically was no longer a plebe but fourth class. Learned that summer whites are much better for free stuff while traveling than dress blues, and that people like to do things while he is in the whites like buy lunch, give him vouchers, allow him into the airline clubs, jump ahead of nearly every line there is. He has learned that most people respect him, or at least the uniform, and he has learned to be humbled by that. Probably the most humbling was when we were ushered in through the families door at the 9/11 museum because of him. All in all, a pretty good year. some of the same trials as others have, some different, but, all conquered. Now onto third class year.

Wow, good for him!
But...what's a woobie???

I have been seeing all the back to school ads and asked my DD what she needs to go back and she said just a duvet cover for her comforter!!

I have been seeing all the back to school ads and asked my DD what she needs to go back and she said just a duvet cover for her comforter!!
Nice! Have my shopping done for younger two- gets so much easier as they advance grades.
Now oldest DD- back to lists etc and FIguring out what to pack/take- we leave 1 week from today to take her to Florida for her DCP. Almost like starting over like last summer! But she already has her living situation set up for spring semester when she returns. Hard to believe how fast this time is going!

My son will be finishing his AA next year at our local CC.

We did a college tour today and he LOVES it and wants to go. There are several aspects of the school that are perfect for him.

Now to find a way to pay for it! And he will prob. need to go 3 years more, possibly 3.5. The nature of that school program is sequential and he can't take the next class until this class is complete, etc.....they were very upfront about all of that.

Oh, and my 2nd child starts college next Fall as well. So, we may have 2 kids in college for 4 years AFTER this year.......guess I need to just keep working! :magnify:

Last edited:
Almost time to go back to college. It has been a rough summer for so many reasons. I am worried about sending DD back to school with her anxiety and panic attacks, but she really wants to go and her grades last semester were pretty good, so back she goes. I really wish her school wasn't in the middle of nowhere and I could find her a good therapist to see while she's away. I hate parenting a child who is technically an adult but still acts like a child in so many ways. I hope everyone else's summers were good and easy.

Almost time to go back to college. It has been a rough summer for so many reasons. I am worried about sending DD back to school with her anxiety and panic attacks, but she really wants to go and her grades last semester were pretty good, so back she goes. I really wish her school wasn't in the middle of nowhere and I could find her a good therapist to see while she's away. I hate parenting a child who is technically an adult but still acts like a child in so many ways. I hope everyone else's summers were good and easy.

What kind of on campus services do they have for therapy?

They do have some therapy, but it is short term. They are really not equipped to deal with DD.

Have you talked with her local therapist and psychiatrist? My dd's therapist agreed to phone sessions as needed. While insurance may not cover them by phone, they may cover it if it via FaceTime or Skype. Her psychiatrist will also make phone time available if needed.

Have you talked with her local therapist and psychiatrist? My dd's therapist agreed to phone sessions as needed. While insurance may not cover them by phone, they may cover it if it via FaceTime or Skype. Her psychiatrist will also make phone time available if needed.
She fired her local therapist. She decided he wasn't helping. I will sit her down tomorrow to make phone calls to find someone near school.

She fired her local therapist. She decided he wasn't helping. I will sit her down tomorrow to make phone calls to find someone near school.
Good for her on wanting to go back and doing well. Hope you guys can find a therapist that will be helpful to her- that's got to be tough to find someone that you feel is helping, you are comfortable with etc.

DD starts classes on Tuesday at our local community college, she had a rough freshman year and decided to stay home this fall.

She has suffered from chronic migraines for several years and had surgery in a July to repair a detivated septum. The doctor removed bone spur from her sinus cavity that was about 2.5" long. It was putting pressure on her brain and causing the migraines. She has not had a migraine since! We are beyond happy. This has been life changing for her.

She had to withdraw from all of her classes this spring, her migraines had gotten so severe. She was very despondent after withdrawing this spring, and was not planning on taking classes this fall. I am very excited for her to start, Even if it's only two classes…

I hope everyone has a great fall!

Move in today, he's somewhat packed, nothing in the van yet. He went out for Spanish food withhis buds last night, followed by the fight, probably didn't get home until after 1, found him on the couch at 6 this morning sleeping through his alarm. This is what I'm not going to miss! He tends to be a big social/party guy.

His transmission went on his vehicle, so he interviewed and got a job on campus with the athletic department, so he can save more money to buy a replacement, so he's going back to college with no car (wasn't allowed one last year, so he's used to public transportation).

DD starts back to school today. She was not used to have such a long summer and it is making it harder for her to go back. She is also nervous because she is commuting this year instead of living on campus (big change). One of her classes this year will meet off-campus so she drove to the off campus location last night to get familiar with the area. The first class meeting is on campus but she thought they may meet there and go straight to the off-site location so she wanted to know where she will be going.

She is also struggling with being prepared this year. Last year they had freshman supply lists but this year they only received lists if the teachers emailed them (only 1 did). So she is feeling unprepared. I'm sure once she gets through this week it will be better (get back to the routine).

Best of luck to all the kids heading back!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!