High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Possibly huge changes for us.

After touring a couple of schools this summer, we realized that the local CC is not meeting my son's needs. He has really surpassed what they can offer. But it was already too late to go this Fall.

He has been a bit depressed about coming back to start at CC and now that he is 2 weeks in he is realizing just how much he wants to move on. So, we are off to tour a school that has rolling admission and he might be going AWAY to school starting in Jan! We are both excited for him and worried. He is on the spectrum and struggles with the social aspects of all of this, but he is doing SO much better and has matured a lot.

We are heading down to the school in 3 weeks for a tour and an open house and will find out more at that time.

He is agreeing to continue in his classes at the local CC this semester and is in a paid internship which will be a great thing to put on his application and resume.

I will update as we figure this all out.

ETA: And we still may be moving out of state.....another possibility is for DH to move in January with him and we will join next summer.....LOTS to consider.

Last edited:
ow that he is 2 weeks in he is realizing just how much he wants to move on. So, we are off to tour a school that has rolling admission and he might be going AWAY to school starting in Jan! We are both excited for him and worried. He is on the spectrum and struggles with the social aspects of all of this, but he is doing SO much better and has matured a lot.
I remember your concerns last year - this must be incredibly exciting for you and him! And open up a whole new set of worries for mom down the road too...but how awesome to see our kids grow and mature. Hope he finds the right fit at a new school!

My DD is ending up having to drop out completely this semester and re-enroll for spring. It has just become too stressful to try to complete the requirements for independent study credit while at Disney. She hurt her ankle on first day of training and now found out she didn't even get her seminar she really really wanted (and needed) to make it feasible for IS. Her advisor-after giving her such a hard time last semester about even possibility of getting school credit for the internship-is really going to bat for her and encouraging her. Which, conversely, has also added stress to DD's decision LOL. DD was actually quite depressed, stressed and ready to just give up on whole thing (internship) last week - but she is in much better spirits this week. Actually enjoying the light duty-and has become friends with some performers (including a "monkey" from my absolute fave show-Festival of Lion King, along with a princess and another character) also on restricted duty.

And-with a HS sophomore at home-about to start the whole college tour thing again!

I remember your concerns last year - this must be incredibly exciting for you and him! And open up a whole new set of worries for mom down the road too...but how awesome to see our kids grow and mature. Hope he finds the right fit at a new school!

My DD is ending up having to drop out completely this semester and re-enroll for spring. It has just become too stressful to try to complete the requirements for independent study credit while at Disney. She hurt her ankle on first day of training and now found out she didn't even get her seminar she really really wanted (and needed) to make it feasible for IS. Her advisor-after giving her such a hard time last semester about even possibility of getting school credit for the internship-is really going to bat for her and encouraging her. Which, conversely, has also added stress to DD's decision LOL. DD was actually quite depressed, stressed and ready to just give up on whole thing (internship) last week - but she is in much better spirits this week. Actually enjoying the light duty-and has become friends with some performers (including a "monkey" from my absolute fave show-Festival of Lion King, along with a princess and another character) also on restricted duty.

And-with a HS sophomore at home-about to start the whole college tour thing again!

Thanks.

My second son is a senior! So, yeah, we will soon have 2 in college. Senior son is kind of up in the air as we are trying to figure out if we are moving out of state or not. If we are, he may have to start at the community college while we establish residency.

So much to think about.

We will know more by the end of the month, hopefully.

Sorry about your daughter. They grow up, but they never stop being our kids to worry about do they?

Got ds moved in yesterday, he just messaged me that his iPhone has finally bit the dust (almost 3 years old, very difficult to charge). I wish this happened last week, there are 7 of us on our plan, and every time I add someone, or get a new phone, there are always issues requiring hours on the phone, and it would be easier if he were here. And his transmission on his 20 year old vehicle went, can't go over 30 MPH, so he's without it.

Got ds moved in yesterday, he just messaged me that his iPhone has finally bit the dust (almost 3 years old, very difficult to charge). I wish this happened last week, there are 7 of us on our plan, and every time I add someone, or get a new phone, there are always issues requiring hours on the phone, and it would be easier if he were here. And his transmission on his 20 year old vehicle went, can't go over 30 MPH, so he's without it.
Oh no! Sounds like a rough week, I hate getting a new phone. Our provider is AT&T and they do NOT make it easy.

DD has finished her 1st week of class and she is still happy, smiling and in good spirits. I cannot tell you how amazing this is to see. She was miserable for so long that smiles and a good mood we rare. If you know anyone that is suffering from migraines, please tell them about Dr. Kevin Smith in Houston, TX.

http://migraine.kevinsmithmd.com/home/

Last edited:
I'm late to check in here. My DS headed back on Aug 20. This year was a big change for us, after four years of my older son going to a school close to home and driving this son out to campus last year, for the first time ever we put our son on a plane with two suitcases and a kiss goodbye.
It was rough for me, though he was unfazed. I didn't get to do a big shopping trip for toiletries and supplies, I didn't get to help arrange furniture or make his bed.
The good new is, he survived. I'm not sure if he has enough toothpaste to last until June, but he's happy as a clam. His first day back was spent clearing his stuff out of the storage he and his friends rented and going to Home Depot for plywood and power tools (I dare not ask, I'm sure I'll see what all they built when I go out to a home game).
I'd love to say it gets easier, but I miss both of my sons like crazy and I can't wait until we meet in WDW for fall break in 40 days, but who's counting, lol.

We had a nice Disney World trip last week we arrived home on Tuesday. My DS first day of sophmore year in high school was Thursday and it was also my first day back to work. We took my DD back to school on Friday and her classes start on Wednesday. Her and her BF have a 6 person suite this year and everything is going well.

Mine has her first class tomorrow. I'm praying that her issues this summer were a one off. Good luck to everyone in the new school year.

One class down. No panic attacks. I don't know what triggered her this summer, but she seems to be almost OK aside from normal first day jitters.

Another year ahead of us! DD is doing well. She moved in two weeks ago Friday. She has a new roommate this year and so far, so good. She got her phlebotomy certification this summer and has been putting in her application at jobs near the school, but no calls yet. She's a little worried because the bulk of positions are looking for full time employees. So, she'll just have to wait and see on that idea. I told her to just keep being persistent. In the meantime, she's going to make a little money as a note-taker for her science courses.
She's also planning to volunteer at a children's hospital near her school a few hours a week. And, she wants to work in a research lab on campus.... Hopefully, she's not biting off more than she can chew. But, she's excited by all the ideas and opportunities, so I'm just focused on hoping it all works out for the best. :)

So DD is sick. She spent all day in bed and didn't get to any of her homework. I hope it's just a cold and won't turn into a sinus infection or bronchitis. Her throat hurts. If it doesn't feel better by Monday, I'll have her go in for a strep test. I am really hoping this year will not be as bad as last health wise.

So DD is sick. She spent all day in bed and didn't get to any of her homework. I hope it's just a cold and won't turn into a sinus infection or bronchitis. Her throat hurts. If it doesn't feel better by Monday, I'll have her go in for a strep test. I am really hoping this year will not be as bad as last health wise.

Is she dorming this year? My DD did so much better sophomore year and beyond once she was in an apartment and not sharing space with so many. Her freshman dorm had communal bathrooms which added more chance for germs.

Plus she definitely eats better in the apartment since she has a full kitchen- more fresh fruit and veggies. She also gets better rest with her own bedroom. She has 3 roommates but everyone has their own room.

Is she dorming this year? My DD did so much better sophomore year and beyond once she was in an apartment and not sharing space with so many. Her freshman dorm had communal bathrooms which added more chance for germs.

Plus she definitely eats better in the apartment since she has a full kitchen- more fresh fruit and veggies. She also gets better rest with her own bedroom. She has 3 roommates but everyone has their own room.
She's in a triple this year (by choice). This dorm is better though. She claims there's no musty, moldy smell. And yes, she has a communal bathroom down the hall. I just hope it's nothing more than a cold.

My DD came home this weekend a little overwhelmed. She starts her clinicals this semester and we did a trial run from her dorm to where she is going to go and a bike and bus are not options. So we are going to put her back on the car insurance and let her take a car to school. The parking pass for students is $450.00..glad I worked extra hours last week..

My DD survived Irma (and so did I from 16 hours away)-she is getting called into work now to start the resort cleanup at Disney. Certainly been an exciting semester so far (and she is not even in school LOL)!

My son got his first acceptance letter today to a 4 year college. Ok, he has only applied to one school.....but he got in! He may be going as soon as January. I have been in tears which range from happiness to anxiety that he may be leaving us.

Update:

He has not only gotten in but he has gotten his first scholarship. He is eligible for 2 more, but we haven't heard back about those yet.

I signed him up today. He is going to SCAD in Savannah. It is the only school he applied for. He has Asperger's and it was so interesting to watch his thought process, "Well, that is where I want to go so why should I apply to other schools?"

Um, ok then son, go for it. And he did! And he made it! He starts in January.

We are so excited for him, and scared, and sad......so many emotions.

I have nothing new to report. DD is horribly anxious. I couldn't get her a local therapist, so she's talking to a therapist from home over the phone. Her grades are actually very good. She's planning a semester abroad next year, but the program she wants starts the day before her sister's wedding, so she needs to find something else. We are doing the best we can.

Update:

He has not only gotten in but he has gotten his first scholarship. He is eligible for 2 more, but we haven't heard back about those yet.

I signed him up today. He is going to SCAD in Savannah. It is the only school he applied for. He has Asperger's and it was so interesting to watch his thought process, "Well, that is where I want to go so why should I apply to other schools?"

Um, ok then son, go for it. And he did! And he made it! He starts in January.

We are so excited for him, and scared, and sad......so many emotions.
That is so great, Dawn! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter