Hijinks & Shenanigans but not much Mayhem@The Dark Side+Disney:Link to DL/Hawaii TR

Your trip reminds me a lot of our trip to Maui with our two girls, who were about the same age as your boys are now. We stayed in a two bedroom condo, too. In fact, we always stayed in a condo in Hawaii because it is just so much nicer. :thumbsup2

You are doing a good job at surfing in those small waves. It looks like you had a great time in Maui.

I love the Hawaiian sunsets and sunrises. They are so beautiful and one of our favorite things to watch. When we stayed in Kauai down in the Poipu Beach area, we could see both sunsets and sunrises, since it was at the southern end of the island.

Looks like a great trip. Beautiful resort, amazing sunsets, snorkeling, a little surfing, can't ask for much more. Can't wait to see more.

Wowwwww! What an amazing resort! And spectacular view. The pool area is beautiful. Love the snorkeling pictures (hope you find the missing ones!)

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on the DIS to check out your pictures. Looks like you had some great views from your hotels and got to experience a lot of new stuff. Can't wait to read your TR when it's ready :thumbsup2

GRRR!!! I responded last night, but I must have previewed and not posted so I lost it all!

Dee - just sitting here waiting and enjoying your pictures, good timing to look at beautiful pictures. Ahhh. Thank you

Thank you! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pictures and that it helped make the time go by during your wait. :goodvibes

Thanks!

:)

So beautiful!

Thank you!!! I loved how different all of the islands were (Maui is the most beautiful of all- Maui No Ka ** )

:beach:

wow those surfing photos are so cool!!!!!

Thanks!

Mark took a bunch of pictures while he and Ben watched, but the ones I posted are from the photographer who works with the surfing school.

I had my share of wipeouts, but I was so happy I was able to stand up on the board and even happier that I was able to ride a few waves!

:cool1:

Beautiful pics!!! That view is gorgeous :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thank you! We really lucked out with fantastic views on this trip! The view of DTD/DL (Space Mountain & the train station) was awesome, city/mountain/ocean view of Waikiki was spectacular and the mountain view in Maui was really amazing. The view at our final resort was ok- not bad, not outstanding, but we really weren't there very much for that one night/day, so that was fine.

:thumbsup2

Your trip reminds me a lot of our trip to Maui with our two girls, who were about the same age as your boys are now. We stayed in a two bedroom condo, too. In fact, we always stayed in a condo in Hawaii because it is just so much nicer. :thumbsup2

You are doing a good job at surfing in those small waves. It looks like you had a great time in Maui.

I love the Hawaiian sunsets and sunrises. They are so beautiful and one of our favorite things to watch. When we stayed in Kauai down in the Poipu Beach area, we could see both sunsets and sunrises, since it was at the southern end of the island.

I thought the boys were a great age to bring to Hawaii.

Yes, a condo is the way to go on the islands!

I'm so glad I joined Nate's surfing adventure.

I love sunrises and sunsets too- always beautiful and different every day

:goodvibes

Haha, that is definitely not a Pop Century room. :crowded:

Why Dee, I believe you may have landed in paradise.

The boys could not believe how much space we had in that room. It was perfect!

Why, Rob, you may be correct!

:cloud9:

Looks like a great trip. Beautiful resort, amazing sunsets, snorkeling, a little surfing, can't ask for much more. Can't wait to see more.

Those are a few of our favorite things!

We truly had the trip of a lifetime we were hoping for.

Love this photo. Both guys look so relaxed and happy :goodvibes

Isn't that a great picture? I love it too! :lovestruc

Wowwwww! What an amazing resort! And spectacular view. The pool area is beautiful. Love the snorkeling pictures (hope you find the missing ones!)

The Honua Kai was fantastic.

It has been the best snorkeling we have ever had right from a resort we were staying at. :fish:

I still haven't found the pictures, and we have looked at the one Mark backed up and they weren't there. Yikes! :sad:

I also missed out on a bunch of snorkeling pictures in Oahu. I inadvertently activated the video setting so I have 15 minutes of video when I thought I was taking pictures. Not on the Fuji, so it is just video.

And my Lumix is now on life support. We had a leak, but it still appears to be taking pictures and working. The in-camera playback feature was all screwed up for a bit although it seems to be working ok now.

:confused3

Ahhhh...bringing back memories of our May-June trip!! We just loved Maui!

I appreciated all your input and suggestions about Hawaii. I wish we had more time to do some of the other things you did in Maui, but I don't regret the amount of time we spent at each location during this trip.

:beach:

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on the DIS to check out your pictures. Looks like you had some great views from your hotels and got to experience a lot of new stuff. Can't wait to read your TR when it's ready :thumbsup2

You get a pass! You have been busy yourself!

I can't wait to start writing about our trip. So much info to share. So many stories...

Hilton Waikoloa
Thursday July 24-Friday July 25

I have very mixed feelings about this resort. It is trying to be "Disney", but it is not. The resort is expansive and beautiful. It even has monorails and boats to help you get from place to place.

Reminiscent of Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club, the main pool is huge and even has a sand-bottom feature.

The valet outside the resort had the nerve to say "Welcome Home!" and the welcome message on our phone even told me to "Have a magical day"

There are a ton of activities, an amazing watersports lagoon, lots of interesting places to eat, a Dolphin experience.

But the resort was full of screaming kids, rude parents who didn't care and slobs- there was trash left all around by guests. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I have two of my own, but I was appalled that parents let their kids climb all over things they shouldn't and to be so loud in enclosed spaces like the monorail, without asking them to use an inside voice.

It could also be that I am a crank, at the end of an amazing, but exhausting, 14 day trip, with a long day of touring (11 hours) and a punishing day of traveling home ahead of us. We were not feeling it!

Our room was in the Palace building. Lots of nice features in the large room, the view was ok (although not compared to what we had everywhere else), but we weren't going to spending much time here other than to sleep.

Room 3261

Biggest Walk-in closet ever!

Balcony and View

Getting Around:

Activities Lagoon:

Backside of Water

Beach:

Pool:

Part 2: Tour of Volcanoes National Park with Hawaii Forest and Trail

Thurston Lava Tube:

"Danger Dan" (Matt, our awesome tour guide)

Pele's tears

Our lunch spot

Kilauea

Dee, slowly catching up after a few days away.

Your pictures are gorgeous...especially the snorkeling ones.

I have to admit you are a much braver woman than me. No way, no how are you getting me in a helicopter. Nope...just never going to happen.

Can't wait to see what is next.

Dee, no excuses for being behind other than life and work.

All of your pictures are amazing! Is my mind playing tricks on me or did you say that Ben said he saw the baby turtle and you found picture proof? Thus, the baby turtle picture. The palm trees, the beaches, the scenery, gorgeous! The rude parents and their kids, bleh! I don't understand why parents don't make their kids mind anymore. Or why the parents themselves have no manners.

The helicopter tour looks scary! I mean, seriously, Ben is right up against the window. He wasn't scared?

Haha, I guess when you're king, everybody wants to copy you. But "Have a Magical Day"? LAWSUIT!!!!!

It does sound like the big downside of the resort was more guest related. I understand vacation is to "get away", but that's still no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

Is that a walk in closet or an extra bedroom????

The monorail and boats do look nice though.

I have always wanted to do a helicopter tour or just ride in a helicopter in general. That is so cool.

Your helicopter tour pictures are amazing - views of a lifetime!

Did you walk through the lava tube? I've never seen pictures of a lava tube before, very cool (get it, red hot lava, cool, cracking myself up here.)

Disney does spoil us for other resorts that come close, but not quite. Guess that is why Teena prefers Disney cruises over other cruise lines.

You've managed to get some really nice family photos on this trip. No doubt your sons will always remember this amazing vacation.

And may I just add... MY TICKER SAYS 11 DAYS!!! Soon I'll be down to the single digits. YAY!! :banana::banana::banana:

I can't believe they built a monorail at a Hawaiian resort. :eek: That place is huge.

I love the waterfalls that you can see from the helicopter. Those views must have been amazing.

You look tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter