Hiking stick in WDW?

irene6118

Mouseketeer
My husband has limited mobility but refuses to use a standard cane (it's a vanity thing) and uses a metal hiking stick instead. Will this be allowed by security at the parks? Thanks.

I'm not sure how, but it seems that there should be a way. At the airport, TSA has a wooden cane that they lend you just while you walk through security (the metal detector). In exchange, they take your metal hiking stick away and pass it around outside the metal detector. After you get through the metal detector with the wooden cane, you and TSA trade back (trust me, they want that wooden cane as much as your DH wants his hiking stick) and all's right with the world. Now, does WDW security have a wooden cane? That I don't know.

I saw a couple this week. I have no idea why I even noticed, but I distinctly recall them. :)

I don't see the problem especially if it can fold down if needed like the Kelty Strider Walking Staff (I have one).

https://www.kelty.com/strider-hiking-staff/

KL2017_Strider_27680818_Collapsed_WEB__09082.1566251818.jpg

I saw people using them on our last 2 trips - Spring 2023 and October/November 2023.
I personally know someone whose doctor recommended them because it would give a more natural walking stride

My husband has limited mobility but refuses to use a standard cane (it's a vanity thing) and uses a metal hiking stick instead. Will this be allowed by security at the parks? Thanks.
My husband used his walking sticks (2) at WDW without issue. He has Parkinson's and the walking sticks encourage him to stand more up right and not bend over. Also, they are better aid in his balancing. They are foldable and security checked them and saw them in his bag each time we entered the park, and he never had a problem. I assume your husband's metal walking stick is foldable. My husband was careful in his use. They can stick out more than a cane in use, so they can be a tripping hazard to others if you are not mindful. We also rented a scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter