Hilton Head Island

kacale

Mouseketeer
Anybody visited Hilton Head?
We are going to Florida in Feb/March 2003 as new DVc members.
We have booked a few nights at VB our home resort and are also thinking of going to Hilton Head for 4 nights. Would be grateful about anyones thoughts on the resort. We will be 2 adults and a 10 year old.

Karen

Here's a link to JJ's most recent brief trip report. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179545

I've been to DVC @ Hilton Head a couple of times and it is a WONDERFUL resort. IMHO it is a more "stand alone" resort than Vero , in that you could go to HH for a whole holiday and find plenty to do. While I LOVE Vero as an add on beach part to a WDW vacation I think it is a slightly limited for a 2 week destination in it's own right.

If I was to use HH as a destination within a WDW holiday I would probably leave Disney late on a Friday ( having checked out of WDW BEFORE the expensive weekend) and drive for 3-4 hours before finding a cheap motel for the night. For the Saturday it's worth checking the price of a cash booking. At that time of year there is a good chance you'll get a really good deal and save your points for Sunday to Thursday stays. Alternately, if I thought I had plenty of days in the parks/WDW I would look at staying in Savannah for a couple of days, it's only an hour and a half before you get to HH and has some wonderful history attatched to it. Depends how you're fixed for points if you need to be economical with em.

HH is a great resort, the DVC is well placed in the centre of the Island ( it's fairly small so no where is far from anywhere). It has a great pool in the area where all the accomodation is and the Beach House is a great facility. It's a couple of minutes in a car, 10 minutes on a bike and 20-25 if you walk it from the main buildings. The beach itself is wide, doesn't get too deep too quickly ( a critisism at Vero) and you can walk for miles along the shore. They offer some very interesting and fun activities, We had great fun on a sunset dolphin cruise where you go out in a small speedboat and look for dolphins in the sound, my DD Caroline and DGF Jana had a great afternoon on a pony trail ride along the beach. HH has some fantastic golf courses, there is a big outlet Mall on the Island and both Savannah and Charlston are within a couple of hours drive and both are steeped in history.

There are also a lot of nice restaurants on HH but DEFINATELY the best eating experience was " a Private Affair" cooked by Chef Gordon on DVC property. When we experienced this it was done in one of the 3 bedroom villas on property, which was a nice way to have a look round the largest DVC units. Now as they have been taken into "inventory" and used for guests it's held at the beachhouse, but I think that would be a just as nice venue.

If a UK perspective helps.

Last year we could not get into VB so we tried HH. I have to say that we prefered VB. Has more Disney type activities and feel to it although the rooms at HH were better. The HH Beach House is a 5-10 minute drive away, compared with a nice stroll along the boardwalk at VB

The drive to HH from WDW is quite long compared to VB (but please remember that Brits are not used to long US style journeys by road).

Hope this helps.

Hey Karen, glad to here your booked for HH. I'll second Vernon a WONDERFUL-- great resort...LOL...Savannah and Charleston are great day trips. A Pirvate Affair top marks to Chef Gordon great host. The drive from WDW a dream of a drive...not a problem....wee buns....LOL......have a great trip....need anything PM me or Vernon.

jj......;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter