Hilton Head-Luggage recommendations without elevator

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
Does anyone pack differently for Hilton Head since there are no elevators in the buildings?

We will visiting HHI for the first time this fall and even though I try not to--I am a "heavy" packer. I usually can fit our family of 4 in 2 large suitcases, but weight is not an issue with elevators and the wheels on the luggage. I was thinking of packing each one of us in a rolling duffle bag so the bags would be lighter and able to be carried up the stairs if the wheels are not working out :)

I would love any suggestions from fellow DISers that have visited HHI!!

I do think it’s a good idea to pack as you are suggesting.

We have asked for and received elevator access. Steps are difficult for me.

Do like we do at OKW, we have our son lug it upstairs. So now that he's living elsewhere and going to Grad school, we pack lighter.

There are luggage carts available everywhere (no bell services), but that doesn't help with the stair issue if you are not in the main building (with the lobby and elevator). Over the years, I have stopped bringing "big blue" in favor of smaller bags, in case I'm on the top floor.

I wonder if there are luggage carts made for stairs..that would be amazing!! And my son will be with and hauling his fair share of the luggage no matter how I pack it but I don't want any injuries to start the trip!!!

There might be luggage carts made for stairs, but they do not have them at the resort. The ones in the main building are hotel standard and the others are huge and made to look rustic (to fit 40s fishing cottage theme).

I wonder if there are luggage carts made for stairs..that would be amazing!! And my son will be with and hauling his fair share of the luggage no matter how I pack it but I don't want any injuries to start the trip!!!

Who ever invents that equipment would make a fortune. I keep thinking about all those European hotels with stairs. Of course many of them have ultra narrow steps too.

Do they have Bell Services at HH?

No, all they have is these cute little carts near the parking lot that you can use to bring your luggage from your car to your villa building. I don't mind no bell services.

We use ebags mother loader weekend convertible backpacks. You can easily fit almost a week of clothing and a couple of pairs of shoes in one.

We stayed there for the 1st time in April and I was surprised to learn that even the 1st floor requires lugging everything up a half of flight of steps!

Hilton Head is very casual -don't need to pack much. Couple pair of pants (shorts, capris, depending on temp), 5-6 tops, swimsuit, workout clothes, maybe one or two sun dresses. 1 pair sandals, 1pair flip-flops, wear sneakers so you don't have to pack them. There is laundry in each unit except studios.

Does anyone pack differently for Hilton Head since there are no elevators in the buildings?

We will visiting HHI for the first time this fall and even though I try not to--I am a "heavy" packer. I usually can fit our family of 4 in 2 large suitcases, but weight is not an issue with elevators and the wheels on the luggage. I was thinking of packing each one of us in a rolling duffle bag so the bags would be lighter and able to be carried up the stairs if the wheels are not working out :)

I would love any suggestions from fellow DISers that have visited HHI!!
I'd pack lighter if you can as long as it doesn't create airline charges if you're flying. I get the sense you're not flying based on your wording but for others who might read this, it's a consideration.

Are the buildings with elevator access, also all HCA?

All the HCA units are in the one building with elevator access (the main lodge), but not all the units in that building are HCA. There are 12 one bedrooms and 12 studios, of which two (if I remember right) of each are HCA. The HCA 1 BRs and studios are right next to each other, and lock-offs, so that if someone needs a HCA 2 BR, they'll be in the main lodge in a lock-off. So, for anyone not wanting HCA, the main lodge has 3 1 BRs and 3 studios on the first floor, and 4 of each on the second and 3rd floors.

hi there,

if we are staying on the upper floors, is there a bell services where the husband can keep his golf clubs, rather than dragging them up and down the stairs?

we are looking at staying in a studio, any suggestions for one that's in a quiet location but with nice sea/water views?

thanks

hi there,

if we are staying on the upper floors, is there a bell services where the husband can keep his golf clubs, rather than dragging them up and down the stairs?

we are looking at staying in a studio, any suggestions for one that's in a quiet location but with nice sea/water views?

thanks

I don't know if there's any bell services for your DH can keep his golf clubs. Ask for the Main Lodge, 16 of the 21 studios are there so you've got a good chance of it. DH ALWAYS brings his golf clubs and we stay in the Main Lodge. Then he brings his golf clubs to the elevator, and carries them to the elevator. Alternately, he could leave them in the car, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't know if there's any bell services for your DH can keep his golf clubs. Ask for the Main Lodge, 16 of the 21 studios are there so you've got a good chance of it. DH ALWAYS brings his golf clubs and we stay in the Main Lodge. Then he brings his golf clubs to the elevator, and carries them to the elevator. Alternately, he could leave them in the car, but I wouldn't recommend it.

thanks for the info, I would rather not have his clubs in the car, drives me nuts when he does that at home. will make sure we ask for the main lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter