Him, Me and Disabled Mom Makes 3!

EeyoreBrat

Earning My Ears
We decided to take my disabled mother to disney in January. :cloud9: I have a pretty imprortant question.

With my mothers disability I feel it important to be in an assesible room. However after doing some research I discovered the at the WL the disabled rooms only have a king size bed. Ahhhh! What do I do? I think it will be a little tight(and akward to add) to have all three of us in one bed.

EeyoreBrat

I would suggest calling Special (Medical) Reservations at 407-939-7807 and discuss it with them. They are more aware of what is available and what can be done than most of the regular reservations people. Also they are the ones who can guarantee a specific type of room.

If she needs a room with a roll in shower, those might all be king bed rooms. But, if she needs something less than that (like a shower/tub with grab bars), you might be able to have a room with 2 beds. You can get things like a bath bench or ask questions about accessible rooms from WDW Resort Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

If she does need a roll in shower room and all they have is king rooms, those rooms only sleep 3. There is a possibilty of getting a cot or some king rooms have a connecting room. I believe that I had read some of the resorts were converting a few roll in shower rooms to have 2 beds, so even if they were all kings, I'm not positive they all are now.

EeyoreBrat said:
However after doing some research I discovered the at the WL the disabled rooms only have a king size bed. Ahhhh! What do I do?

if you're sure you want WL (and who wouldn't?), call disney and tell them you need a room for 3 adults, and the special needs you have (roll in shower, grab bars, lower beds, etc.) they'll figure out how to get it for you. i was told by them once that if the accessible accomodations that you need make it necessary to have a second room in order to sleep the same number of people that would fit in a "non-accessible" room, then they won't charge you for it (i.e., you won't be penalized for needing accessibility).
good luck
-dj

This really hits a nerve for me. Why is always assumed that disabled people have no family? I've encountered so many things that are set up for a maximum of two people. I guess all disabled people are elderly and have no children :rolleyes: You can not imagine what we went through (DH 33, Me 31, DS 8, DD 7, DD 7, and DS3) trying to get a modified vehicle that would seat six! :earseek: Needless to say there is a big ugly boat in my driveway that set us back nearly $48,000 because we had to buy the van and have all the modifications done. All of the factory wheelchair modified vehicles have very limited seating (the ones we found anyway).
Also, clearly all disabled people are wealthy. They have to be to afford to be independent. We could have bought a Cadillac Escalade for the price of that van. Did I mention it's big and ugly? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter