Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My! - A Solo March '18 TR - COMPLETED 7/13 - Final Thoughts+New TR

As I headed past Mexico, I checked off my final Flower and Garden non-food stop, the Tropical Rainforest (I do think I missed one display on some orchids on the other side of the Mexico pavilion though)

sXERyzF.jpg
6Az2Nf7.jpg
n6JgISY.jpg
bUhoRGQ.jpg

I still had plenty of time before dinner, so I wandered into the Norsk Kultur Frozen exhibit in Norway (I know they were replacing this with a Vikings Exhibit)

FE7kItX.jpg
TiOoUXr.jpg
PwSTkN5.jpg
fWJiurz.jpg

I thought it was very interesting, and would love to see more of these educational exhibits in the World Showcase.

Nonchalantly made my way to Italy for dinner, and I got there plenty early, so sat for a bit on a bench outside before heading to check in at Via Napoli. Even though my ADR wasn’t until 6:30, I checked in at 6:05, though I didn’t expect to be seated quickly, especially since they were turning away anyone without an ADR.

ZWIui0J.jpg
IGEdwJp.jpg

Well, I ended up getting seated around 10 minutes later, which was very nice!

MeZSslm.jpg

I ordered the 10-inch Quattro Formaggi (White Pizza: Mozzarella, parmesan, fontina, provolone); I skipped any specialty drinks because I just wasn’t feeling it.

p5CHsGA.jpg

My pizza came out so quickly! Like, I literally had it before my actual ADR! I was very appreciative of it! And OMG-so yummy! Totally up my alley-I love fresh pizza dough and also white pizzas. Definitely a standout in my book! I think it would also be a great appetizer, if you ordered a 10” for the table and just cut it up into multiple smaller pieces.

and finally WEIRD LESLEY-STRANGER INTERACTION #3

So, as my food comes out the couple at the table next to me (about my age) were eyeing it, especially the guy. He had wanted the 4-cheese pizza, but decided just to get regular cheese (he and his girlfriend were splitting it 2-ways). I was chatting with them a bit, and told the guy, look, I’m stuffed, and I’m definitely not going to get to eat this whole thing, why don’t you take a slice? He tried to say no, but I know he wanted it, so I insisted, and he finally was like, well, ok! And he also really loved it, so was very appreciative. When they were done, they also had some extra slices, so offered me one (I ended up eating ½ of my pizza, gave him ¼, and boxed up the last slice), but I laughingly declined again.

So, one last vote-helpful or creepy?

I ended up finishing up rather quickly, and was leaving the restaurant around 7pm; I know some people like to have more relaxing dinners, but if I’m solo, I’m ok with ordering, eating, and getting out! We'll see how that goes in France next week (they are known for their 3-hr meals :scared1:)

Checked out a bit more of the restaurant, and I loved the pizza ovens!

7imY07M.jpg

So, at this point, I was pretty tired. I originally was hoping to stick around for Illuminations, but soon I decided, nah, it’s not worth it! So I decided to grab one last snack to-go and head back to AKL.

oqRSMPd.jpg

I did like how the topiaries were lit up appropriately, with all dwarves having their own color!

oF6vag7.jpg
76qSWId.jpg

And I made a photopass stop in Germany. And good thing I did too, because soon afterwards the photographer was gone.

xOpoAzn.jpg

Which was nice and close to my last stop, Karamell-Kuche!

z1n4VPj.jpg
Ae2NoCr.jpg

I ended up getting 2 treats to eat in my room later on (coming up later in this post).

Checked out Lady and the Tramp again

sPIYgSg.jpg

And as I passed over the bridge from France, there was an awesome moon! That light in the sky above China…yeah, it’s the moon, not a regular light!

Mpi8qbD.jpg

One last photopass

4U2EnMq.jpg

And then I headed towards the International Gateway. I had decided I was so tired, I didn’t want to bother dragging my feet all the way to the front of the park, so I was going to Uber!

2obEMKP.jpg

On my way out I stopped at the gift shop and picked up 2 ornaments, the compass one I had been looking for, and the Chip & Dale 2018 hat one!

uQxZDst.jpg

Crescent Lake seemed to be lovely at night and I can’t wait to stay here in December!

zd59Glb.jpg

Walked through the Beach Club lobby, which was nice. Though I do have a love for grand lobbies like AKL or the Grand Californian.

B6CcK4y.jpg

It was an uneventful Uber ride, but very fast and I beat the crowds (I saw Happily Ever After going off at MK so was happy to get ahead of everyone).

After dropping off my backpack in my room and stashing my treats in the fridge (more on that later), I headed down to the Arusha Savanna overlook. I didn’t expect to see anything, but thought, might as well try (I had to pick up a package at the gift shop, as well as return those expensive pins which I found on ebay for ¼ the cost)

The lobby is beautiful at night to look into! I think I will be spending plenty of time in December in this lobby!

acVm8c9.jpg

I think I saw some sort of hoofed animal (don’t remember what type, it was cow-sized) at one fence, but I continued to the back, where I could see a giraffe in the distance, and he was sitting down! Like-WHAT! That is so rare to see one sitting down (he didn’t seem to be injured or anything, just decided to sit for a bit). Unfortunately it was so far away, photos didn’t turn out.

I did chat with one of the guides out there about lots of stuff (and we actually became facebook friends; I think he may have been hitting on me a bit…) and then we heard something getting closer. Turns out the matriarch giraffe was coming for a snack, and she got pretty close (the photos don’t do it justice)

dF7BTlU.jpg
vNMOm01.jpg

We watched her a bit, before I decided to head back in. He did tell me they had night vision binoculars at the pool overlook, but I unfortunately never made my way over there.

I headed back to Zawadi Marketplace, where it was pretty busy! I loved the artwork behind the cash register.

JefaqLF.jpg
iiNmDB2.jpg

Oh, I wish I had a kid to dress up in this!

Li9ET5P.jpg

I ended up picking up an AKL pin (I don't have an individual pic of it, so I'll include it at the end when I post everything), and was disappointed they didn’t have an ornament anymore to match my ones from Pop and POFQ (those were just ceramic Mickey heads with the hotel logo on one side and a themed print on the other side)! If they still don’t in December, I may get a keychain that I’ll turn into an ornament.

After accomplishing my errands, I went back to my room and got changed, but not into PJs. Nope it was hot tub time again! :bitelip: Definitely nice!

Headed back, got cleaned up, and decided to relax a bit before bed, including eating my dessert. That’s where I made a critical error. I guess you shouldn’t refrigerate those Karamel Kuche treats, because the caramel totally solidified! The bar was not good at all, I could only eat a couple bites, because the caramel and butter had all made it just a greasy chunk. And even though I loved the caramel-marshmallow bar in September, then it was nice and warm (I ate it outside), so it was all a delightful soft texture, and this was just too hard; I ate it, it just wasn’t what I was hoping for. :sad1:

Q6ElUHN.jpg

Anyways, I think I ended up watching an episode of Modern Family before getting my backpack all ready for the next day, and laying out all my clothes, since I would have to be up early.

(Funny thing, I also layed out my toiletries in the order I would use them. And it totally sped up my getting ready time! So…yeah, being organized helped me the next day!)

Coming up (in a few weeks): My Best Day Ever with animals galore!

I loved Coco so much! I was bawling like a baby towards the end. Pixar movie are so wonderful!

It stinks when you have obnoxious people on the rides, ugh!

I love the Violet Lemonade so yummy. We didn’t try anything at the Honey Bee-stro.

It was nice you were able to spend time with a Dis Friend.

Those dolls are amazing. I've loved precious moments since I was a kid. My 90-year-old grandmother collects dolls, and I want to get her one so terribly. I just don't know which one to choose!

That cheesecake and peach cobbler freeze look really good.

Those Precious Moments dolls are adorable. I have a few from when I was a kid. They are pretty beaten up though as I did not treat them well.

Oh my....Where do I begin? Reliving these days through your trip report have been awesome!

The Voices of Liberty...You were right on the name of the singer. I can't wait to see "Voices of Liberty Appreciation Day" on the 4th of July this year once again so I get to hear the echo sets or how you put it..."ghost singers!" :D I like ghost singers more so I might keep that name for it. I have also seen them so many times that I can basically pinpoint what song they are going to do based on their "talk" beforehand or the pitch of the song given before they start. I also love how friendly they are after each performance to just stand around and talk. I've gotten to know many of them that way.

The cheesecake was probably my favorite dish from Flower and Garden. It was also a beautiful day to enjoy that festival.

Gran Fiesta Tour...Even though I was able to ride it with a friend, I'm still trying to forget that 10-minute boat ride to this day.

It was great seeing you as well! I can't wait to hear about your AK day and your upcoming trip a Disney park that I have never been to!

got myself a Violet Lemonade from Pineapple Promenade. I think this was my favorite drink. It ended up being exactly what you would expect, though the violet flavor was pretty subtle. Although I realized later - I didn't get a flower in mine :sad:
It's such a beautiful drink! So sad you didn't get to have a flower :(

It also was more like a shake than a "freeze". Maybe the blueberry vodka would help out the flavor, but I'm not so sure.
Hmmmmm, blue alcohol was an option!? I wonder what I would have done :)

we stopped to check out the Coco displays, which is a movie we both loved! I saw that movie and was bawling crying!
O.M.G. ME TOO!!!!! Especially because my Grandma passed away from Alzheimer's, so when he sings to the grandma I absolutely lose my mind. Serious ugly crying.

HdWgPix.jpg

(does this one remind anyone of Legends of the Hidden Temple?)
AH!!!! YES!!!! I LOVED that show!!!!!! I always wanted my brother and I to be Baracudas :)

My favorite chandelier!

Helpful!! Especially because they were sitting right there and could see you didn't do anything weird to the pizza you were offering to share LOL

I think I saw some sort of hoofed animal (don’t remember what type, it was cow-sized)
Best animal description ever!

They seriously have THE CUTEST sets for babies, don't they?! I wish they had them when Jimmy was a baby. He would have had them all!!!

was disappointed they didn’t have an ornament anymore to match my ones from Pop and POFQ (those were just ceramic Mickey heads with the hotel logo on one side and a themed print on the other side)! If they still don’t in December, I may get a keychain that I’ll turn into an ornament.
My best ever invention :) I have many keychains-turned-ornaments on my Christmas tree!

So, I paused for a moment, and got myself a Violet Lemonade from Pineapple Promenade. I think this was my favorite drink. It ended up being exactly what you would expect, though the violet flavor was pretty subtle. Although I realized later - I didn't get a flower in mine :sad:

Boo! Sometimes they don't have the flowers, last year I only got 1 with the flower in it.

(I know they were replacing this with a Vikings Exhibit)

We really liked the new exhibit!

I love this light fixture.

I think it's helpful, sometimes I stare at people's food and wish they'd offer me some :rotfl:

And then I headed towards the International Gateway. I had decided I was so tired, I didn’t want to bother dragging my feet all the way to the front of the park, so I was going to Uber!

I love doing this! It can be such a far walk across Epcot sometimes especially when you have nothing to do at the front besides get on the bus.

Oh, I wish I had a kid to dress up in this!

:rotfl: I love it.

so it was all a delightful soft texture, and this was just too hard; I ate it, it just wasn’t what I was hoping for. :sad1:

Aw, that sounds terrible. And now I know not to put them in the fridge! (Which I would do if I got something from there to take back to the room so that's good to know).

More cute pics! Glad you could get a photo with your Bambi shirt in front of the topiaries!

Glad you enjoyed your dinner! That was sweet of you to offer a slice to your neighbor!

Love how the topiaries look at night!

Glad the rest of your evening was good! Stinks that the caramel treats ended up being a bust :(

I'm all caught up! Your pictures of Flower and Garden are great. I'm never good at getting pictures of all the topiaries. Have a great time in France!

On our way out we got held up on the walkway by a woman who decided, rather than walk on the moving WALKWAY, she would just stand. And she was pushing someone in a wheelchair, so everyone was stuck behind them. When Zach and I finally asked to get around her, she gave us attitude, so I did it right back!

I'm late catching up, and I love your TR so far, but I just saw this comment and I must say I'm sad to read this. I know you were having fun and didn't want to be slowed down to rush on the next ride, but being in such an incline with a wheelchair is very hard, and walking down it gains momentum that is very difficult to control. When my mom needed to push me down that moving walkway, she had to work hard just to keep me from rolling down and no way could she walk down pushing me. On the good days I walked by myself, walking down such an incline hurts my hips and knees real bad and puts my ankles at risk of dislocation, so it's best for me to just wait it out, no matter how long and boring it feels.

Don't worry, we totally feel the guilt of making everyone else wait...

They came out and it was amazing! I know they ended with a song [I think Battle Hymn of the Republic] that Zach actually got teary-eyed! But I am definitely a fan, not on the level of some people :D, but I will try to make a priority to see them every trip, maybe even multiple times!

People really love the VOL, it seems! Maybe I should actually check them out on my next trip

This pathway is so pretty!

What a cute shot!

Super pretty, love the sky behind it

So, I paused for a moment, and got myself a Violet Lemonade from Pineapple Promenade. I think this was my favorite drink. It ended up being exactly what you would expect, though the violet flavor was pretty subtle. Although I realized later - I didn't get a flower in mine

Does it taste like flowery lemonade? It seems so strange to me that I've never tried it

This looks so pretty! Can definitely tell that it would sparkle!

I really hope they change it to Coco, though I know those rumors have stagnated, and may not come to fruition.

Me too! Coco would be so perfect and beautiful and appropriate!

I ordered the 10-inch Quattro Formaggi (White Pizza: Mozzarella, parmesan, fontina, provolone); I skipped any specialty drinks because I just wasn’t feeling it.

Drooling! That looks so darn good

Helpful!! I had someone share their food at a restaurant with me once, and it does seem a little weird on the surface, but it's actually so nice!

Page 11…all caught up :rotfl:

Your trip (trips!!) look amazing! I would love to do that DAH someday but I don't think it's ever offered whenI'm there :sad2: And your Disneyland After Hours…OMG! How much fun was that? You and Su-Lynn look like you had the best time!

Have an amazing trip to France! Can't wait to read more :-)

So, I'm back from France! Definitely a fun time, with some interesting moments. I'll be starting a TR for that one, but I took over 8500 photos, so need some time to go through them! Also need to get some from other people (between the 6 adults we had 9 cameras...so there will be a lot of them, but I've set up an Amazon Prime Photos Family Vault so we can all share them)! And more importantly, I need to finish up this TR! But in the meanwhile, here are some responses to comments, which I got so far behind on!

I loved Coco so much! I was bawling like a baby towards the end. Pixar movie are so wonderful!

It stinks when you have obnoxious people on the rides, ugh!

I love the Violet Lemonade so yummy. We didn’t try anything at the Honey Bee-stro.

It was nice you were able to spend time with a Dis Friend.
Yeah, obnoxious people are the worst! Though...after the guests at DLP, I don't know if I'll ever complain about guests at DLR or WDW again!

Those dolls are amazing. I've loved precious moments since I was a kid. My 90-year-old grandmother collects dolls, and I want to get her one so terribly. I just don't know which one to choose!

That cheesecake and peach cobbler freeze look really good.
Those dolls were wonderfully detailed! Does she gravitate towards one particular Disney movie-maybe something from that one? Or just a classic Snow White or something!

Those Precious Moments dolls are adorable. I have a few from when I was a kid. They are pretty beaten up though as I did not treat them well.
Yeah, I feel bad about how I treated some of my dolls. Also, my sister gave face tattoos to all of my Barbies when I was younger, so I have a bunch that don't look great!

Oh my....Where do I begin? Reliving these days through your trip report have been awesome!

The Voices of Liberty...You were right on the name of the singer. I can't wait to see "Voices of Liberty Appreciation Day" on the 4th of July this year once again so I get to hear the echo sets or how you put it..."ghost singers!" :D I like ghost singers more so I might keep that name for it. I have also seen them so many times that I can basically pinpoint what song they are going to do based on their "talk" beforehand or the pitch of the song given before they start. I also love how friendly they are after each performance to just stand around and talk. I've gotten to know many of them that way.

The cheesecake was probably my favorite dish from Flower and Garden. It was also a beautiful day to enjoy that festival.

Gran Fiesta Tour...Even though I was able to ride it with a friend, I'm still trying to forget that 10-minute boat ride to this day.

It was great seeing you as well! I can't wait to hear about your AK day and your upcoming trip a Disney park that I have never been to!
I'm sure you're going to have a great time on July 4th! And I'm sure VOL will be excited to see such a loyal fan! You'll have to tell them about "ghost singers"!

It's such a beautiful drink! So sad you didn't get to have a flower :(

Hmmmmm, blue alcohol was an option!? I wonder what I would have done :)

O.M.G. ME TOO!!!!! Especially because my Grandma passed away from Alzheimer's, so when he sings to the grandma I absolutely lose my mind. Serious ugly crying.

AH!!!! YES!!!! I LOVED that show!!!!!! I always wanted my brother and I to be Baracudas :)

My favorite chandelier!

Helpful!! Especially because they were sitting right there and could see you didn't do anything weird to the pizza you were offering to share LOL

Best animal description ever!

They seriously have THE CUTEST sets for babies, don't they?! I wish they had them when Jimmy was a baby. He would have had them all!!!

My best ever invention :) I have many keychains-turned-ornaments on my Christmas tree!
Yeah both my grandparents on my dad's side had Alzheimers and my grandma had dementia, so it was hard at the end. I totally ugly cried in the movie theatre and even hearing that song gets me choked up!

You and your blue alcohol!

I can't remember which team I always rooted for - probably whoever had the cutest guy! And so many afternoons screaming at the TV - you put the base of the Silver Monkey on first!

I'm terrified if I ever have kids to dress up at Disney! I can't wait until Max and Alice are big enough and I can convince their parents to go on a WDW vacation - oooh, all the outfits I will plan! And they like me, so they'll totally wear them!

I ended up getting a bunch of keychains in Paris to turn into ornaments. Some places had great options for proper ornaments, other places not so much!

Boo! Sometimes they don't have the flowers, last year I only got 1 with the flower in it.

We really liked the new exhibit!

I love this light fixture.

I think it's helpful, sometimes I stare at people's food and wish they'd offer me some :rotfl:

I love doing this! It can be such a far walk across Epcot sometimes especially when you have nothing to do at the front besides get on the bus.

:rotfl: I love it.

Aw, that sounds terrible. And now I know not to put them in the fridge! (Which I would do if I got something from there to take back to the room so that's good to know).
I definitely want to see the new exhibit, including the scary not-hot Loki!

It's good to know I'm not the only one who eyes other people's food! We were at a restaurant in France and the table next to us got their food delivered before we could order, everyone was checking them out to see what looked good!

I can't wait to walk to/from Epcot and DHS!

Yeah, I think I'd try them again, but keep them warm this time!

More cute pics! Glad you could get a photo with your Bambi shirt in front of the topiaries!

Glad you enjoyed your dinner! That was sweet of you to offer a slice to your neighbor!

Love how the topiaries look at night!

Glad the rest of your evening was good! Stinks that the caramel treats ended up being a bust :(
The dinner was fabulous! And it was disappointing about the caramels. Really, I could have left them out for longer in the room to soften them up...but I have no willpower and have to EAT THEM NOW!

I'm all caught up! Your pictures of Flower and Garden are great. I'm never good at getting pictures of all the topiaries. Have a great time in France!
I made it a mission to see them all! I loved F&G so much, I'd totally go back again!

People really love the VOL, it seems! Maybe I should actually check them out on my next trip

This pathway is so pretty!

What a cute shot!

Super pretty, love the sky behind it

Does it taste like flowery lemonade? It seems so strange to me that I've never tried it

This looks so pretty! Can definitely tell that it would sparkle!

Me too! Coco would be so perfect and beautiful and appropriate!

Drooling! That looks so darn good

Helpful!! I had someone share their food at a restaurant with me once, and it does seem a little weird on the surface, but it's actually so nice!
You should definitely check them out! And you can really show up right before they go on and hear them.

I don't even think it really tasted like flowerly lemonade that much. Very sugary, and it almost just tasted like purple lemonade, if you can imagine what purple tastes like? :P

Page 11…all caught up :rotfl:

Your trip (trips!!) look amazing! I would love to do that DAH someday but I don't think it's ever offered whenI'm there :sad2: And your Disneyland After Hours…OMG! How much fun was that? You and Su-Lynn look like you had the best time!

Have an amazing trip to France! Can't wait to read more :-)
They seem to be adding dates to DAH, so maybe one day it will be available! It is fun and a good way to hit up lots and lots of rides!

And hanging with Su-Lynn was awesome!

I'm late catching up, and I love your TR so far, but I just saw this comment and I must say I'm sad to read this. I know you were having fun and didn't want to be slowed down to rush on the next ride, but being in such an incline with a wheelchair is very hard, and walking down it gains momentum that is very difficult to control. When my mom needed to push me down that moving walkway, she had to work hard just to keep me from rolling down and no way could she walk down pushing me. On the good days I walked by myself, walking down such an incline hurts my hips and knees real bad and puts my ankles at risk of dislocation, so it's best for me to just wait it out, no matter how long and boring it feels.

Don't worry, we totally feel the guilt of making everyone else wait...
I'm sorry about the comment. I think it seems like you are a bit more conscientious about other people, but this woman had a serious attitude about her. There also was a bunch of people getting off Space at the same time and she basically swooped in front of all of us (I know she saw everyone walking towards the ramp too). And when we asked to go around her, she really was not happy.

I wish Disney would provide better options for people in wheelchairs on places like that. I know at Haunted Mansion at DL, there is an inclined ramp (not nearly as long as WDW's space), but they don't have wheelchairs use it - instead they take the stretching room elevator back up to the top. It does seem that they are doing a refurb on the "speed ramp" right now, so maybe they will be making it wider or more accessible for guests who cannot walk down it?

Finally able to update! Had some issues with Imgur last week, but now I'm ready to go! And I'm excited, since this was probably one of my favorite days at Disneyworld!

Day 3, Part 1 - A busy, but productive, morning!

Today was Animal Kingdom day and I had A LOT of things I wanted to accomplish:

• Early morning Safari
  • Sunset safari
  • Ride Expedition Everest in dark
  • Ride Flight of Passage 2x (w/FPs)
  • See Augustus the baby hippo!
  • Visit Gorilla Falls Trail (didn't do this in September)
  • Visit Maharajah Jungle Trek and see baby tigers
  • Try a Night Blossum
  • Eat at Nomad Lounge, specifically to try the Poutine
  • Eat at Tiffins
  • Chocolate Waffle from Tamu Tamu
  • Wild Africa Trek
  • New Backstage Tales mini-tour
  • Fully explore Pandora at night
  • Fully explore Pandora at day
  • Tree of Life Awakenings
So, I wouldn’t be successful at all of these, but you’ll have to see which ones I did get to do!

Oh, and if you thought I had a lot of pictures from Day 2, I have even more on Day 3 (280 images queued up plus several videos)

I woke up this morning extra early, as it was an 8am open with 7am EMH! It wasn’t essential for me to get there at the exact open time, because I wasn’t joining the Pandora crowds, but I still wanted to be there early.

x3ZF1Vx.jpg

I quickly grabbed my bag (I had prepacked the night before), and made it out to the bus stop around 6:55am.

RdOAzpj.jpg

Well, then I realized-it was rather chilly! And I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt with no sweater packed. I had to made a decision… and ended up deciding comfort was best, so rushed back to my room, threw on some jeans, tossed my shorts in my backpack (in case it got hotter later), grabbed a sweater, and jogged back to the bus stop… to get on the same bus I would have boarded if I had just stayed at the stop!

giphy.gif

I did love staying at AKL, because that meant we arrived at AK at around 7:10 as the sun was cresting the trees.

ymqnLyf.jpg

I did make a quick stop with a photopass photographer to take a photo in front of the entrance to my favorite WDW park

Haz8Rtb.jpg
lLs5wH3.jpg

They were also scanning MBs at the entrance to the Oasis, but I was at the Tree of Life by 7:15, where I stopped for 2 more photopassers and specially asked for a specific magic shot I had heard was available. I know they have so many new ones now, so I will make it a mission to get them all in December! :lovestruc

IuWpRwK.jpg
5IAkXAp.jpg
Q7LmqjV.jpg
1Xlj6GB.jpg

Most people headed direct to Pandora

oauSa9r.jpg

Meanwhile, I was heading up to Africa!

lzU5Qep.jpg
wXrbBj4.jpg

I had been hearing reports on the Disboards about how Kilimanjaro Safaris wasn’t open for EMH, so I had originally planned on just going to Asia instead. But when I checked the wait times on MDE, it showed a 5 minute wait, so I thought-maybe they decided to open after all! Well… I arrived just to see a bunch of CMs directing guests away and saying they wouldn’t open until 8am. :mad: That definitely annoyed me because, if you aren’t open, WHY SHOW A WAIT TIME?!? If I knew it was closed I could have reduced the amount of walking with that detour...

Anyways, I then made my way through an empty Asia to Expedition Everest. (Note-It wasn’t truly empty, I was just at the head of a large group of people, so if I looked in front it was empty, but if I looked behind, plenty of people!)

LifLEDL.jpg
n8Jdcjn.jpg

Everest was a walk-on and the CM immediately sent me to Row 1 without even having to ask! I was hoping for a while I would end up with a solo coaster, but a couple other people showed up before loading. I ended up in the car with some grandparents and their young grandson. The kid originally said he wanted to ride in Row 1 and I offered to sit with him, but I think he got a bit shy, so he sat behind with grandma. I did ask him what face he wanted to make on the photo, but I guess he didn’t know when the photo took, so I looked sort silly!

pg7Edf8.jpg
cKw11Pi.jpg
aa0MTp7.jpg

At the end the grandma looked at the kid and was like-I love you, but I am never doing that again! And I just cracked up laughing!

giphy.gif

Finished up Ride 1 and it was still a walk-on, so looped back around for Ride 2! This time I requested the back row, and you could see how many empty cars there were between me and the people in the front!

g6IIxUZ.jpg
JLEVCJn.jpg
rbH6FSF.jpg

After that, I could have done a few more rides walk-on, but I think my stomach couldn’t handle it. (forgot to mention, but my breakfast so far that day was half my Amorette’s brownie.)

I headed back around towards Africa to try and get in line for the first safari, but made a detour when I heard some gibbons singing!

First, I saw the keeper setting out some treats near the front of the area (I’m sure to encourage them to be on full display)

6PS6P75.jpg

Then, closer to Kali River Rapids, I saw a bunch in the tree, who were just carrying on! It was honestly so cool to just stand there and listen to them put on a show. I chatted a bit with a CM who worked in that area and he said once they start in the morning, they can just carry on for hours!

oGCPmJu.jpg
EhffOQM.jpg
Ts41AZM.jpg

After enjoying the gibbons I realized it was time to move on, and I made it to the safari just as they were going to start filling in the queue. It was posted as a 15 minute wait, but I had a FP that was good at 8:05am, so rather than go to the standby side, I went to the FP side (once I saw a CM there). Even though I was a few minutes before the grace period, he waived me in.

kxN6Yco.jpg

I ended up getting a row to myself (woohoo!) in one of the first safari vehicles that day. A solo row was also awesome because I could slide from one side to the other depending on which one had better animals! I think normally they like to put solo riders with other groups, but I guess that early they didn't bother!

Pez5YcD.jpg

Starting out, there weren’t any of the forest creatures like Okapi or Bongos, so I was worried-maybe it was too early! The Black Rhinos were out, though hanging at the back of the enclosure

6v1xTGN.jpg
Msrppfx.jpg

And into the hippo area, where I was on the lookout for Augustus!

Most were pretty sleepy, with the right side pool (what I would find out later was the male hippos pool) just showing one guy on his side!

mqKJ2U0.jpg

The females were all bunched up together, and try as I might, I couldn’t pick out Augustus. It was very likely he was either underwater or not even out (later a keeper said his mom hadn’t been coming out the past few days, and he liked to stick closer to her)

6pzJQCj.jpg

I also tried to pick out the crocodile who Disney had reported had his leg amputated due to a fight with another croc…unfortunately I found out later that he hadn’t made it :(

CmnbhWM.jpg

We came around to the savanna and at first I was worried, because I didn’t see any giraffes!

The African Wild Dogs had just been sent into their enclosure though, so they were racing around and it was awesome!

QrBQI37.jpg

Also saw these guys eating breakfast. The guide said they are the mascot image for Harambe Reserve; I don't remember exactly which animals they are, but I think it's the Sable Antelope. I always was trying to figure out which animal’s silhouette was being used!

wRIOJSS.jpg

And the cows, all lounging. But still no giraffes…

i9cjKGS.jpg

Until…we rounded the corner, and there they were! Looks like they had just been released from their barn and were all eating breakfast together! It was pretty cool to see all 8 at once (there are some in the shadows of the photo)

q6PATj7.jpg

One of them (I think the younger males) decided to come checking us out, but we drove away before he reached the vehicle

BiQZyMU.jpg

We came around to the elephant area and got to see the bull elephants also eating breakfast

WWSqLXF.jpg

Then to the female area, where Stella was racing around too! Probably annoying her mom! I wish the 3rd photo hadn’t been blurry because it looked like her mom was just shaking her head!

cyaqVNI.jpg
tUAQlT3.jpg
bzws5zg.jpg
eR3o629.jpg

Past the flamingos, where were definitely less gray than the last time I saw them in September when they were still pretty young!

awj10LI.jpg

And the cheetahs who were out and running around too.

FTokaVY.jpg

Before we could get to the lions, we got a bit of a visitor, with an ostrich who decided to walk right next to us and give us a dirty look! The driver was pretty vigilant to warn us not to make sudden movements!

WgArI9c.jpg

Once he was gone, it was time for lions, and I was really hoping they’d be active! Well, they sort of were. They were awake for starters! The male was a bit sleepy, but at least he was sitting up. And he was all the way on the edge of the enclosure, so pretty much as close as he could get to the vehicle! One of the lionesses was also rubbing around the rocks.

q71zwDJ.jpg
ALaCSLT.jpg
fOVG7ek.jpg

And then the warthogs who were eating breakfast. I think they just had baby warthogs, but I didn’t recognize any as babies.

R6p6LvE.jpg

All in all, a pretty fun safari! Lots of active animals, so I would absolutely recommend an early morning one if you get the chance!

Joining in! I've done a few solo trips myself and always like to read others because it gives me ideas for my next one (coming up in August). I've read your last TR but never stayed caught up enough to comment so I'm going to try to do it with this one. Just going to comment on the latest update though.

asked for a specific magic shot I had heard was available.

OH, I need to get this one! Flower is one of my favorite characters.

WHY SHOW A WAIT TIME?

I swear the app does stuff like this all the time. The wait times never seem to match what is posted on the actual rides. If they can't get the times right, why even list wait times in the app?

so I looked sort silly!

Isn't that the goal for ride pictures? :P

I love you, but I am never doing that again!

:rotfl2:

After that, I could have done a few more rides walk-on, but I think my stomach couldn’t handle it.

Ugh, I know the feeling. I love EE but it's always a one and done for me. I have some motion sickness issues so it's always a fine line between fun and puking for me. Oh, I have to say the second ride photo is just epic!

but made a detour when I heard some gibbons singing!

Wow! This is amazing! I've watched the Gibbons so many times and have never heard this. Hopefully I'll get to experience in person someday.

I think normally they like to put solo riders with other groups, but I guess that early they didn't bother!

Yeah, I always seem to be squished in with another group on this ride when I'm solo.

The females were all bunched up together, and try as I might, I couldn’t pick out Augustus.

I wasn't able to spot him either in January or February. Not as easy to see as some of the other babies with the water.

we got a bit of a visitor, with an ostrich who decided to walk right next to us and give us a dirty look!

I've had this happen too, that ostrich always seems pretty grumpy and ready to peck some eyes out. :rotfl:

Last edited:
Nice start at AK!! Can't believe it was so cold - but I love cold days at Disney and it's a rare occurrence when I'm there when it's cold!
Fun pictures on EE! Wished you could have rode solo on the front row though but the back row pics are hilarious!
Awesome safari photos! I love Stella, she is so cute, I totally want a baby elephant!

Once I was done with the safari, it was time for a new experience, Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail! We had never done this in September, so I was happy to get a chance to visit (and I knew the Maharajah Jungle Trek wouldn’t be open until 9, so I had time).

y3BU4vQ.jpg

The Colobus Monkeys were out, but a bit chilly, so even though the keepers had put plenty of food down low and near the guests, the monkeys were sticking to the sunny areas!

Made my way quickly thru the bug area (not a big fan) and into the aviary. But at first I didn’t realize I was even in an aviary! I at first thought there were just so many colorful birds in florida!

giphy.gif

tzGyWTx.jpg

And to the hippo pool! I was originally hoping to get a view of Augustus, but I realized later, this was a totally different hippo pool that you actually can’t see from the safari! I think there must be 3 pools, the large female one with most of the hippos, the smaller pool you come to first, with 2 male hippos, who happen to get along just fine (normally males don’t like each other), and then this last smaller pool on the trail, with a solitary hippo.

This guy was taking a nap, and even though he’d open his eyes occasionally the keeper kept assuring us, he was totally asleep! He did come up for air while I was there but I didn’t get a photo.

nFQN2j3.jpg

Over to the zebra area (the meerkats weren’t out yet)-more on her later.

0k6tFl8.jpg

And into the gorilla area, where on of the moms was hanging at the window, while the teenage daughter was roaming around the area near the windows.

gac89AO.jpg

One thing I did learn later in the day from a tour (but I’ll post here because it makes more sense), when the momma gorilla was pregnant the keepers were wondering how to get the baby to be able to do a newborn checkup. They knew she would probably cradle it and not give it over. So, a few months before the baby was born, they gave her a baby doll, which she immediately cradled. Then over several weeks they convinced her to be able to show them the doll, then let them touch it, then give it over to them, and she was able to learn the keepers would return the doll. So, once the baby was born, she was totally willing to let them take a look! Smart!

Looped around to the front side, where we saw the dad watching over the little boys. Another experience, where you could just tell he was exasperated with his kid rolling around on the rocks!

VunTN3Z.jpg
bpx3V72.jpg

Got a good look at the bachelor tribe across the bridge, with a bunch of the guys walking around. Turns out the big silverback father is such a good breeder, pretty much all of his sons are going to join bachelor tribes (either at AK or other places); they don’t need his genetic material elsewhere! The bachelors sometimes make eyes at the females in the family tribe, but the ladies usually just roll their eyes!

tINGoPe.jpg
B3oYmMV.jpg

I was having a good conversation with the CM about the gorillas, but of course some annoying kids decided to try and heckle the gorillas, so she had to run off and shut that down.

Anyways, finished at Gorilla Falls, and onto my next animal trail, Maharajah Jungle Trek. (Note: even though they say they don’t open until 9am, there were definitely lots of people in when I got there at 8:55).

CzcMZvr.jpg

I sort of walked quickly by all the other areas (had seen them in September), until the main attraction-Tigers!

And as I walked up to the first viewing area, I could hear a raspy growling! The mom was calling out! It was really cool. Unfortunately I didn’t get a video because by the time I got up the stairs to the first viewing area she had walked away and ended up using the tunnel to get to the other enclosure side (turns out the male had been pretty vocal in the barn area and she was replying to him throughout the morning).

cbMbV10.jpg

I made my way past the glass windows where there were lots of people crowded around and over to the bridge…where BABY TIGERS!

They had just gotten some meat bones so were chewing away and tumbling and just being adorable! Momma was also pretty annoyed, but let them play with each other and her! I did eventually move up to the second window viewing area, so these photos/video are from both spots! (I did stop videoing when the little girl was just trying to go pee and the boy tackled her-very rude!)

svMsGZ5.jpg
uWR0hzo.jpg
qUpRKbB.jpg
sGVoQ18.jpg
G29ehTs.jpg
fGuZczy.jpg
GIhYMeY.jpg
qQPov6M.jpg
elNW4WJ.jpg

I think I like this one the best. One of the babies is just throwing a little tantrum!

aWF0WwY.jpg

Oh so cute!

Eventually I decided, I should probably head out, but I ending up spending over 15 minutes just watching them play!

On my way out I went through the aviary (Lauren and I had skipped it in September because she doesn’t like birds, but they didn’t have the bypass path open this time)

PGWU1a0.jpg

So...here is the status of that checklist:

• Early morning Safari
  • Sunset safari
  • Ride Expedition Everest in dark
  • Ride Flight of Passage 2x (w/FPs)
  • See Augustus the baby hippo!
  • Visit Gorilla Falls Trail (didn't do this in September)
  • Visit Maharajah Jungle Trek and see baby tigers
  • Try a Night Blossum
  • Eat at Nomad Lounge, specifically to try the Poutine
  • Eat at Tiffins
  • Chocolate Waffle from Tamu Tamu
  • Wild Africa Trek
  • New Backstage Tales mini-tour
  • Fully explore Pandora at night
  • Fully explore Pandora at day
  • Tree of Life Awakenings

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter